What should include in a hook on 1st page

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

What’s not to like? You have –bot in the name yourself. Ever work waiting tables?

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Probably for the best that I haven't, but at least now I know what to call myself if I do :D

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Waiter. You want a gender-neutral term that isn't 'waitperson', and I can see the desire to avoid that one, the term is waiter. Again, we don't have 'doctress' any more; we don't need 'waitress'.

4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I always thought the gender neutral term was "server."

5. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I tend to use 'waitstaff' in the general sense, though you can't refer to an individual as 'a waitstaff'. I know 'server' is an option, but it feels gross to say, imo - it's so close to being 'servant'.

6. ChickenFreak

That works OK, too. For whatever reason, I prefer waiter.

Edited to add: I figured out the reason. Server feels generic, for anyone who may serve something. While a waiter, I think, is the person who has primary responsibility for the table. So the waiter, busser, runner, bartender, etc., might all be seen as "servers".

7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I think one of the reasons I use it is because it's what I see most often in restaurant reviews, both professional and on Yelp.

8. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

Note that this was in 1988. Things were changing.

My sister met her future husband while she was working. Their oldest kid just turned 22. Interestingly, that restaurant is where the Dixie Chicks played before they were famous, and she knew them as work-friends.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

"Waiter" has been jettisoned from the industry for awhile now. Guests still obviously use it, but I haven't heard it on the inside in probably 10 years... for whatever that's worth.

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The appropriate form for attracting the attention of wait staff being to raise your hand and snap your fingers. If this fails to achieve the desired result you should do it again whilst saying "service" .... this definitely won't result in anyone spitting in your coffee or rubbing your steak on their sweaty ass. Also remember that tips are completely unnecessary as good service is to be expected for the price of the food :supergrin:

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Spoken like a true Brit... and probably the biggest reason why I moved away from the tip portion of the industry.

12. 33percent

33percent Active Member

So what should include in a hook on the first page. It seems like it's vital for the first paragraph and page of every book.

13. ChickenFreak

I don’t think it’s a matter of what to include. The goal is to interest the reader and make him want to read on. And I suppose it should also be sufficiently representative of the book that the reader won’t end up feeling cheated.

14. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Raise questions in the reader's mind, make them seek out the answers. And don't answer the first question raised until you've added a few more. Keep the interest-train steaming onward down the tracks. :)

123456789, rinnika and Alan Aspie like this.
  15. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

A worm or some other kind of bait.

A hook without a bait does not work well.