1. AmethystCrystalGem

AmethystCrystalGem New Member

What should my stories be about, based on these characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AmethystCrystalGem, Jul 6, 2020.

Olympia - She is rather bossy and very assertive of her demands. She can come off as temperamental and annoying, however, she has a heart of gold and only acts the way she does to ensure that her and the others do not get mistreated.

Frankie - She is a tomboy who is sporty and enjoys playing video games. She has a very laid back, easygoing personality, taking life day by day. She is the polar opposite of her best friend Aaliyah, a MASSIVE girly girl.

Irena - She has a calm, serene personality, and rarely gets angry or upset. She is also very smart and always looking out for her friends as well as paying attention to her health. She is spiritual, often considering what she values and trying her best to embody them. The spiritual rituals she performs ensures that she stays calm and doesn't lose her cool.

Jaidyn - She is quiet, reserved, and has a classy, elegant personality. She aims to avoid the discussion of anything that makes her friends uncomfortable or doing anything that would upset them. These personality traits attracted Andy, who is her current boyfriend.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Nobody can properly answer that question. They are your characters, figments of your imagination.

How can we know, how old they are, where they live, their personal stories and experiences, and the people and experiences around them--family, friends, co-workers, people who antagonize them, personal health issues, preference in pets, phobias, favorite foods and dislikes...I could go on.

What story do you want to tell? What struggles and hurdles would you want to write about them confronting, possibly overcoming?

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

One way to find story ideas if you know your characters is to just write about them. Like little impromptu scenes. Just put different groupings of them together in some situation and write to see what happens, how they interact. Sometimes one of these exercises can take off and become a story idea, or suggest one.

Richach likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It’s a murder mystery:
    • Jaidyn has used her active aversion to conflict as the lure to reel in Andy, who, let's face it, is rather a milktoast. He's currently her boyfriend, but the reader’s gonna’ have to give some latitude as to what “boyfriend” means and include “currently fertilizing the vegetable garden with his own body” as part of the standard definition.
    • Olympia - true to form - smells something fishy and sets about trying to solve the mystery of the disappearing Andy and the suddenly succulent veggies from the garden. Olympia is the kind who needs for every single neutrino in her vicinity to be under her direct control and this unsolved mystery is driving her batty!
    • Franky has a separate arc. She’s trying to seduce Olympia, but Olympia’s got her teeth sunk into the Andy Mystery™.
    • Irena, we come to find out later, has an unexpected source for her serene, Queen of Chillaxification demeanor. Namely, fentanyl. She’s been dosing everyone liberally just to watch the fallout.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

Before I read Wreybies comment, I thought about the old 'The Three Investigators' book series from the '60s (I think). The main character was named Jupiter Jones, and your character called Olympia reminded me of the series based on her name. So yeah, a bunch of pre-teen or young teen girls out solving mysteries better than Nancy Drew.

Xoic likes this.
  6. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I can't answer this question because what you've provided about your character is just basic stuff. Nothing deep or really necessary. No obvious goals, motivations, conflicts that could be use for plot have been provided. It's fleshing them out what's needed and from that maybe a plot would come to you.

Also, characters don't really fit plots. Old ladies solving crime and murder mysteries. Detective Inspectors hunting vampires and ghosts. A bunch of high school kids could cover up a crime, solve a crime, defeat an evil lord, travel to another planet, survive an asteroid.

If I were you I'd start adding some bones to these characters and get what they look like and act like for now. What you're doing is adding skin without having a skeleton.

BEST OF LUCK

AmethystCrystalGem likes this.
  7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I loved The Mystery of the Green Ghost, especially their hideout in the junkyard, which they crawled to along a corrugated steel pipe with a doubled-over carpet on the floor so they didn't hurt their knees.

John McNeil likes this.
  8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Whatever you want it to be about.

These characters could fit into any story, from a teen romance to a gritty sci-fi or a fantasy involving kittens.

What do YOU want to write?

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I believe very much in the principle that you should write the book you would want to read! So what would you like to read about these characters? What's your favourite kind of book? Do you like mysteries, romances, action/adventure? Decide what kind of book you'd like to read yourself, then see what you can do with fitting these characters into that kind of a story.

The good thing about creative writing outside of a classroom is that you can write about anything at all, any way you want. The bad thing, of course is the same thing in a way. Nobody is telling you what to write about any more, so you have to decide what that will be, and how you want to write it. Letting go of 'assignment' kind of writing is a big step, but it's the most intensely freedom-generating thing you'll ever do. It's your world and you can do anything you want. And the best thing? There is no risk. No danger at all. Nobody has to see the work until YOU are satisfied with it. Nothing is set in stone until you publish it (don't be in a hurry to do that.) You can make changes, change your mind, change your characters, change what happens to them, etc. It's one of the few areas of life where you have total control. So seize it, and enjoy it!

10. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Mmmm, I wonder if that would make a good competition on the forum. Here are four characters, write a story about them.

Or would that be too much like schoolwork?

John McNeil and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I agree, you can imagine your characters in most any scene right? That is if you know them. Especially if they interact together.

12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Why are these characters together?

Most recently - in fact, only in March when lockdown happened - I started my current WIP. I made the characters first, like you. But unlike you, I didn't write out their personalities like that (and yours sound pretty cliche as they stand. However, that is how personality descriptions always sound, which is why I avoid them). I created their relationship dynamic first. And then I set a story around that.

I can't tell you how well it's going, but hell, I currently have 50k words after just over 3 months. It's good enough ;)

So, ask yourself, what are their relationships with each other? Because as descriptive as you've made their personalities, it seems they exist in different universes currently. You have not described their relationship and therefore how they affect each other. Therein lies your story. Based on those relationships, what do they want and in what ways do they clash?