What some other grammar checkers say about 2nd chapter of 1st volume

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by caters, May 6, 2014.

1. caters

caters Active Member

but the fast descent makes the force of gravity which is 1G feel much stronger because of it when you are seated pushing back on you.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

@caters: Regardless of what your books say about avoiding short paragraphs, they have to be talking about something other than dialogue.

With dialogue, each time a different person speaks it requires a new paragraph. This is the standard convention and no English book is going to contradict it. It's not controversial.

So I believe your books are referring to paragraphs, but not to dialogue. Try looking up "dialogue" in the index and see what they say about new paragraphs for a change in speakers.

3. hummingbird

hummingbird Member

Incorrect. You would only have high G in a descent if you were also in a tight turn. You'll also have high Gs as you pull out from a descent, but not in it.

Think about sitting in your seat. If you make the seat climb, it pushes hard against you/high G (because you are trying to go down while the seat goes up, so opposite directions). But if you make the seat descend, it falls away from you/low G (because you and the seat are going in the same direction).

NASA's "vomit comet" does the ultimate steep descent - it gives the feeling of weightlessness (i.e. 0 Gs).

That's all I'm saying on the subject, since it's off topic for this forum, but I respectfully suggest that you look a little more into the physics if you plan to use it in your story.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Jack Asher likes this.
  4. caters

caters Active Member

Okay books suggest no 1-2 sentence paragraphs and no 5-6 sentence paragraphs.

I have seen quite a few books, especially nonfiction that have 5 sentence or longer paragraphs and Tarzan uses 1-2 sentence paragraphs as well as long ones.

5. caters

caters Active Member

I can understand why they say no 1-2 sentence paragraphs but why is it that they also say no 5 sentence or longer paragraphs when lots of books break that rule.

Also, what if you have a lot that is relevant to 1 subject? Do they really want you to use compound and complex sentences in that case instead of lots of simple sentences and a few compound?

6. caters

caters Active Member

and as far as high Gs in a fast descent, you are accelerating fast, partly because of gravity and there is equal and opposite drag(well not quite because of air resistance) from the acceleration that makes it feel like you are pushed into your seat.

This feeling of being pushed is from high Gs. A feeling of being pulled in a descent is negative or 0 Gs because then the force of gravity is the major factor into the descent and not the fact that you are accelerating(The acceleration when you feel like you are pushed is not only from gravity but also from thrust. In the scenario where you feel like you are pulled towards the center of mass only a minor part of the acceleration if any is due to thrust and most is due to gravity.)