1. Chewie

Chewie Member

What to do next?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chewie, Jul 4, 2015.

So I have finished the third draft of my first novel and I am trying at the moment to get some beta readers at the moment.

But that's not my question. Do I keep writing and if so where? I did start the sequel to my first book, but I also have ideas for a couple of other stories as well. I've read a few places which say to stay away from your work for a while, but what would you lovely people say.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What are your goals?

If you're writing for fun, write whatever seems fun.

If you're focused on publication for this individual book, you could start looking for agents/publishers/investigating self-publishing, and writing the accessory tools that are needed for each of these paths (queries, blurbs, whatever).

If you're trying to build a career as a writer, you could start writing something in a similar genre, but not directly related to the nearly complete novel. (It's generally considered unwise to spend time writing a sequel to a book that may never sell, but it could be a good use of your time to start another title that might sell independently from your current project).

izzybot likes this.
  3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

My suggestion would be:

Start another work. Obviously you don't want to make changes to the work beta readers are going to review, this way their suggestions will all be based upon the same work at the same stage and will be relevant without alterations made...which while improving it, might also stir up other problems they would've seen, among other concerns.

You should continue writing, otherwise it's weeks or months 'wasted.'

If you know you're going to self-publish, then begin working on the sequel. This way you'll have something ready as close on the heels of the first novel's release.

If you're hoping to find a publisher, then I would say that having started the sequel is good...it will give you a running start if/when you return to it. But begin another project you're interested in. Finding an agent/publisher can take a while. And if you can't sell the first work, the second one probably won't either, especially if the 2nd requires readers to have read the first. If you write a new project, unrelated, you'll have two projects that you can send out to find homes, doubling your chances (if the first one hasn't sold by the time you finish the new project). And if your new project finds a home, it'll open doors to the original one and it's sequel.

That's what I would suggest. I took the second route and it worked out for me, although my sequels are written to stand alone and not require readers to have read a previous novel in the series.

Good luck moving forward. Having completed the third draft and seeking beta readers is excellent progress--progress many writers never reach.

EdFromNY and BayView like this.
  4. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

If I were you, I would finally paint the trim on your storage shed and maybe get around to giving the cars a good cleaning, while thinking about your next book.

5. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

Personally I usually spend about

3 months writing a full draft of a novel.
    3 months of a break from writing (seek alphas/betas) due some critique exchanges.
    3 months working on a different project (usually a screenplay).
    Return to original project for editing/re-writes

The time away from the book allows me pursue other works and lets me step back and reapproach my work with fresh eyes. I wouldn't work on a sequel during that 6 month break. I need to be able reapproach the entire world with a fresh outlook.

6. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Excellent advice. :)

7. Chewie

Chewie Member

Unfortunately I don't own a shed. But the car does need a clean.

At the moment I am trying to go down the traditional publishing route. Will now need to pick which of my two main ideas to pursue.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.