1. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

what to write about

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by tashaa-jayy, Jul 3, 2010.

so,

I'm having a bit of trouble thinking about what to write,
    and when i do get something i have trouble finishing the story, can anyone help me with this??

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Write about what is awesome, write about what you think about, write about what moves you, write about what amuses you, what scares you or anything. Start what captures you and then like in the Never ending story start with that grain of sand of an idea and let it grow.

And how to learn to deal with the endings. Identify exactly what you problem with endings (they bore you, you cant get all the threads of the story together, you rather skip them and move on to something new and exiting) and then work on a way to get away from that.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

In terms of what you should write, there are a number of techniques that might help you. If you're stuck for ideas, you might try freewriting, which is where you just write what comes into your head, regardless of what it is. You might find that a useful idea occurs to you.

Another idea might be to write to set criteria. If you're confident enough of your skill, and are at a level where you think you're ready for publishing, you could look up an anthology on www.duotrope.com and write something specifically for that anthology. It's worth a go anyway, as it might be the inspiration you're looking for.

Also, you could look for writing prompts, such as the poetry and short story contests on this site. The current poetry contest theme is Losing Someone, and the short story contest theme is Simon Says. They are free for all forum members to enter, and there is no prize, but it's meant as a writing exercise.

In terms of your problem with finishing, that also is a fairly common problem. Writing requires a balance of enthusiasm and discipline- the enthusiasm to get you started and motoring along, and the discipline for when the enthusiasm ebbs, as it will.

If you're struggling to finish a piece, then there could be a number of reasons. It might help, when you start out with a new piece, to draw up an outline of where you want the piece to go. It might not be what Stephen King does, but that man produces fiction like at the rate most of us produce urine.

Another tip might be to try shorter length pieces. If you're writing novels, give short stories a go. If it's short stories you're having difficulty with, try some flash fiction. You can find examples of all on the internet.

I hope this helps :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When you're watching the news, or reading a book, or watching a TV show or movie, play the "What if?" game. Imagine how the story or news might change if you change one thing early in the story, or at a key point. You could add a new problem or a new goal, or have someone show up at an awkward time.

Also do some peoplewatching. Look at strangers, listen to bits of conversation, and make up stories in your head about them.

5. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I get a lot of story ideas from watching other people's stories and thinking of what I'd have done with the story. Twice now I've gotten a novel basically out of a fanfic I adapted to be an original story. The stories kind of just took off and assumed a life of their own. So that's my simpleton advice. :p

6. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

If you're having trouble thinking of ides, there are sites that randomly generate plots/characters/conflicts, should you need to get out of writer's block. As for endings, try starting there & working backwards until you feel more comfortable with them.

7. Shinn

Shinn Banned

When I run out of ideas to write, I think back to the sights and sounds of New York City and work my way from there and it usually helps.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Similar to what others have said really. Write what you'd like to read. You could always write a story based on a song, or write a story that continues a poem or write a novel situated around the narrative in the poem. Think of moments in your life or someone you know, and think 'what if?'. Look in newspapers etc., there's always a news story that you could alter to make it a good story of your own. Eavesdrop! You hear all sorts from listening to other conversations, and they might spark an idea.

As for finishing, I'd say try and have a rough idea of where it's going whilst you write, and if you don't know, then think about it, or take a break from your story and come back to it because often you'll know then how you want it to end and you'll be able to finish it. It may just be a question of disciplining yourself to finish your stories too.

9. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

thanks so much for your help,
    i will take this information in and try again :)

wow i have never tried that before, that is a really good way to look at things this could be an all new and exciting thing for me thanks heaps

ahh yeah see i have tried that so many times, It's more that i can't do the ending i just keep blabbing on even if i set a goal to finish it,it just never happens

Thanks heaps to everyone that has tried to help me with this problem i'm having :)

10. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

When I find it hard to write, or next to impossible, I ust do like my ninth grade english teacher used to make us do once a week. I write.

Yes I know that sounds horribly simple while being annoyingly complicated, so, let me clarify. What he had us do was spend an entire class period (fifty five minutes or so) writing about anything on a piece of paper. Spelling, grammar and subject didn't matter. It could be about anything we wanted it to be about. The one day I couldn't think about a thing to write, so he told me that if need be, just write down your thoughts at that precise moment or even write down random lines you heard someplace.

Simple, but complicated. Now I know this doesn't help address what your writing subject is going to be about, but for me personally, it helps me think of new things to write and gives me ideas on where to go with my stories. Sometimes it even gives me that ending I could never find.

So try it, who knows what could happen.

11. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

okay,
    well thank you for your comment, It does sound simple but also complicated. ill try since i haven't been able to finish what im writing im on to something different maybe this exercise will help me finish what im doing