What will happen in society if the financial system collapses?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Leonardo Pisano, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Frankly I am not as amazing with modern history as I am with non-modern history, so I don't really know for sure. What I do know is that the political and economic situation of the Weimar Republic was so unstable, and that everybody was just so out of it, that it made sense for more radical ideologies to take over.

Actually, similar situations occurred in Italy and Japan around the same time. In Italy, Mussolini, who came before even Hitler (although most people don't realize that - Mussolini initially inspired Hitler at first... until Hitler became the bigger guy on the block), also promised economic improvement and a return to better times (i.e. the new Roman Empire). In Japan, after the depression, more ultranationalistic and militaristic factions in the government basically took over. Japan actually wasn't that bad before, say, the 1930s... well, at least it was just as bad as your average colonizing power. However, with the depression and all that, things became unstable as well, and the ultranationalistic and militaristic factions deemed that the only way to solve the economic problem - and the supposed overpopulation of Japan - was to get new lands for Japan... and the rest is history.

Of course what I just said here is kind of an overview, and I might even be wrong on some points (because my modern history is not as strong as my non-modern history), but I guess there's a pattern here. Economic instability always leads to political instability. When people can't get incomes, when they can't get bread on the table, they - and their governments - don't act like they do when everything is stable and under control.

1 person likes this.
  2. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

@cybrxkhan
    "Of course what I just said here is kind of an overview, and I might even be wrong on some points (because my modern history is not as strong as my non-modern history), but I guess there's a pattern here."

To understand one-world government conspiracies in a historical context, I suggest to read 'The Anglo-American Establishment' by Prof. Carroll Quigley. Also his 'Tragedy & Hope' is great, but 1300 pages is a lot to read...
    (free pdf's downloadable from: http://www.carrollquigley.net/books.htm)

3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

You know what is currently happening in the current econemy? Gas prices are on the rise, and food will eventually sky rocket. Can you imagine what would life be like if we were right below the Great Depression? Have you considered applying the Great Depression, where most businesses run slow on cash? And remember the great Bailout the government paid off for the banks? Imagine what will happen if governors were to be selfish and not even attempt to bail banks out. I'll try to reverse what is currently going on right now and see what the outcomes could have been if our money was still in the "pit." What do you think governors would do if there were no resources as to what they can do to improve the economy?

4. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Countries are now so much in debt themselves that I don't think bail out banks would be an option. The Great Depresssion might provide a good template for what's going to happen -- as a minimum.

How is this list?:
    - bartering will increase, locally likely be the dominant trade mechanism
    - cash will circle around but not be deposited in banks
    - electronic payments are avoided by people
    - credit card payments are less accepted
    - gold/silver coins become more increasingly used
    - lack of liquidity is killing the banks
    - food/ energy prices will skyrocket; people will reduce the use of it (less travel; warm clothes to reduce heating their homes)
    - businesses collapse massively
    - gov is relatively powerless - might try martial law
    - rioting/looting
    - social mood is predominantly negative; gov will be rejected and individualism will become more important. More self-defence/weaponry.
    - people grow their own food more.
    - Internet kill switch adopted (?). Media controlled by gov.
    - maybe hyperinflation -- not sure....

5. njsdca

njsdca New Member

I often wonder the following:

-Will poorer people be at an advantage, having already lived like this for longer?

-What type emotional turmoil will individuals with what society will deem "useless careers" endure?

-Will music, art and books still hold a high value to everyone?

-Can individuals create miniature societies where they can look after eachother? Building on that, will tribal societies rebound?

Most of all for me:

-Can we, as a society, function peacefully together?