What word do you absolutely HATE

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by grnidone, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Aenigma

Aenigma New Member

I don't dislike actual words I really hate when they're pronounced wrong.
    Frontier, is not pronounced Front Tire. Then letters... and it's Zed, not Zee, Zed!

2. seije

seije New Member

i hate the word 'basically,' though that's because it's the first word my mind reaches for when i'm trying to give an explanation of something. And i end up using it to start every sentence (at least, while speaking).

I also hate the word 'snuck.' I don't know why, it just doesn't sound like a real word sometimes. Whenever it comes up in my writing, i try to reword the sentence to use a different form.

3. Well_hello_beautiful

Well_hello_beautiful New Member

Spot on! Pronunciation errors drive me crazy. My husband pronounces certain words wrongly all the time, and I'm always correcting him! History is His-tory and not his-tree. I hate it when he says that! :confused:

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

That's because 'snuck' isn't. The real word is 'sneaked'. There, now you can use it!

5. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

I hate utilitarian. namely because it takes me a full minute to get the spelling right. Also any words ending with 's' drives me mad i never know whether to write Stevens' or Steven's or whatever its supposed to be.

6. thecommabandit

thecommabandit New Member

Here's the rule for it: If a word ends in 's' and you want to make it possessive, e.g the car belonging to Jess, you just add an apostrophe: Jess' car. This includes plurals, like the cars' headlights. In any other case you add an apostrophe and an 's': Steven's car. It's a bit sketchy if the word ends in 'z', but I usually just stick and 's' there for good measure =P

As for words I hate, the word "kiss" just grates on me. Absolutely nothing to do with it's meaning, just the sound. It just sounds terrible to me.

7. JGraham

JGraham New Member

i hate the new usage for the word 'sick' I don't know it just always annoyed me when people say, that is 'sick'

8. Well_hello_beautiful

Well_hello_beautiful New Member

^^ Yeah that bugs me too, but I guess that's more common in the US, so we don't hear that one too much where I am!

"I got sick" (as opposed to "I became ill") really grates on me too. A real pet hate of mine, that one.

9. Short and Stark

Short and Stark New Member

"I hate insulting words," too.

10. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

My dear friend, isn't it "certain words wrong all the time" not "wrongly" ? Is wrongly even a word?

Also, it's not so much words that I hate or even word useage, I disdain when people say certain people "speak" a specific ethnic group. Such as, speaking black, or a black person "speaking white". I disagree with such statements and see it all as either incorrect grammar and correct grammer.

In addition- just a quick history lesson from another post I read. A homosexual started being called a faggot because back in...when ever it was, they would tie them all togther and set them on fire - note as; just like a faggot of stick or a faggot cigar. Yup, pretty horrible I know.

11. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Wow, thats kind of scary. But it's very interesting to know stuff like that!

I hate the word "squat". It just....feels weird to say. Hm, what else? Well, I agree with the "sick" thing, that bothers me too.

12. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

What you don't like to squat? or do squats in p.e? squat in a huddle.. wow the more i say it the less i like it. I like "sick" only cause "ill" makes me think of like..someone one step from death

13. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    I don't suppose I really hate any words, per se, but I do dislike poor grammar or the misuse of words. It's like taking a Monet water lily painting and spray painting it. It's a disgrace, but I admit that I am sometimes guilty of the crime.

14. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

thanks for the clarification but for some reason no matter how much i try to learn it when it comes to writing the word i go blank and end up muddling everything up. i love the english language but :mad::mad::mad: those word!!!!:mad:

15. Edge

Edge New Member

"LIKE" enough said. I haven't seen it used in writing, but some of the conversations I have had recently have made me "LIKE TOTALY" want to punch some one in the head.

16. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Aw come on, you're saying that like, you totally don't think that like, the word 'like' makes you sound intelligant? That's like, totally --

very true. I can feel my I.Q points drop already.

17. Anir

Anir New Member

Yeah, the misuse of like, is like, so annoying. And yet, I say it about every three words in normal conversation.

18. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Bad, bad Anir; you should know better than (then?) that!

Yes. I am one of those horrid people that mixes up Then and Than, i am shamed!

19. arron89

arron89 Banned

I say like. Psychologists say that its because us teenagers are so insecure/apathetic and don't wanna commit to actually saying anything definitive, so we say "like" to distance it from any actual authenticity. That way, even if we care, we seem like we don't, and if we're wrong, we're not really.

20. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

restaurant.
    I never spell it correctly. I had to do a spell check to put it in here. LOL

21. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

"complete"

i don't understand it. It just sounds so damn pretentious to me! :mad:

22. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Basically. I hate that word. Nothing is ever basically. And people who over use this word, think they sound smart, but really sound like tools.

"Same Difference." This phrase urks the tar out of me. It is stupid, and I want to slap people who say this to me. I usually yell, "You mean same thing, or no difference, there is no such thing as same difference." Something is either the same, or different. Or void. That is also possible. The two words cancel each other out giving the meaning of, well...nothing.

23. sophie.

sophie. New Member

'You're in denial' - stupid phrase, almost as bad as 'closure' e.g. 'we need closure' - terribly mock-sincere...'closure' refers to a shop shutting or something, not humans

24. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Ha, Sophie how do you feel about the saying "Denial(Da Nile) is not just a river in Egypt" ?

25. Anir

Anir New Member

:) :) :)