What word do you absolutely HATE

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by grnidone, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

When people say "irregardless" it makes me want to run around the room screaming "THAT'S NOT A WOOOOOOOORRRRDDDDDD!"

(But most times I don't.)

2. tbeverley

tbeverley New Member

Mine's not a word, but the new grammar rule that says you can leave out the comma in the last of a series of words: "I was red, blue and green." Instead of: "I was red, blue, and green."

I hate that new grammar rule.

Because, you could write: "I was red, blue and green, and yellow."

3. Kas

Kas New Member

Aside from such nonsense as irredardless, there really aren't many words I could be said to hate. And hate is a bit strong, anyway. Let's just say I dislike this one. I really don't like it at all.

Posthumous.

It's come up in a lot of threads lately, and every time it sounds awkward and unnatural to me. It's one of those words that seem to serve no useful function except to say, "marvel, if you please, at my lexiconus extremus!" And that's coming from a guy who loves big words (when skillfully applied). It's only really good if you have a suitably high-minded type of character. I can't see using it anywhere in the narrative under ordinary circumstances.

"Oh, Edward, I've tried so hard to be strong, but I'm falling apart. The truth is," she faltered, her words coming out in ragged sobs, "I'm terrified of dying, of losing you forever. . ."

"Oh, Rose, my love," he gently took her hand in his, "fear not, for I have a plan. Your posthumous state shall be better than life." His eyes shone with a feverish intensity.

"Uh, what does posthu- umm . . . what does that mean?"

"What, posthumous?" Edward waved his hand dismissively. "It simply means 'after death'. I said I have a plan, Rose. Didn't you hear? A dark, evil plan to cheat death himself and spit in the face of god and live together with you for all eternity! Pay attention, would you?"

"Oh, yes, an evil plan; I see. Do continue."

Or how about a book/movie title: A Tale of Posthumus Revenge. Could you really picture that in theaters?

How about giving a eulogy: "He was a great man. Even posthumously, his deeds and example continue to inspire. . ." Really, way to take attention away from the fellow who just died, as anyone who hasn't heard that word before will be puzzling over your terminology, instead of what you actually said.

I just can't think of any justification for using it anywhere, except to point out the speaker's extensive vocabulary and high opinion of himself. . . Sorry to offend you posthumous-loving people.:rolleyes:

4. tbeverley

tbeverley New Member

I was posthumous once. It was pretty weird, for about 1 minute I was lying on a hospital bed and I literally went posthumous for about thirty senconds, when I came back, they said: "You're post-postthumous." I suppose now when I die I will be "post-post-posthumous," and man, that's hard to live with.

Do they even publish you if you're "post-post-posthumous?"

5. Kas

Kas New Member

tbeverley,

Post-posthumous makes no sense. . . it means 'after after death', which is like saying, "after after I drink my tea. . ." You can add a hundred 'afters' and none of them will be any more meaningful than the first. . .

The word you want is just posthumous (or better yet, pick different words altogether - yay for not indulging in one's own flatulence (a south park reference)). . . Right now, you are living posthumously; that is to say, you are living after your death. When you die again, and stay dead (as far as us ignorant living people are concerned), you'll be simply posthumous again, and no longer living posthumously. If you want to inform us of prior experience while using the same single word, you'll just have to invent one, cause posthumous ain't it.

As you can see, so-called 'creative' use of English is one of my big pet peeves.:rolleyes:

6. Tobias

Tobias New Member

I'm a posthumous loving folk, but the words I hate are affect and effect. They are so trivial, but I try to avoid them. No one says I uses these words incorrectly. I just feel like I do.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, but I love those! Both affect and effect can be either a noun or a verb, slippery little devils!

You can effect a change in policy through political advocacy. [verb]
    You can affect the outcome of a game of chance by using loaded dice. [verb]
    The effect of using loaded dice is to skew the probability distribution of rolled numbers. [noun]
    Your affect may seem flat if you have used too many drugs. [noun]

Such deliciously mischievous tricksters affect and effect are! You gotta love them for it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kas

Kas New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I love subtleties in language, even if they are tricky to learn at first.

9. Atarxia

Atarxia New Member

Not neccesarily hating, more like annoying.

After watching a good number of Obama speechs on youtube, both extraordinary and unprecedented word make me cringe a bit every time he said it.

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I think my most hated word is Got. But I think this stems from my teachers disliking of it. She pointed out that Got is such a dull and undescriptive word. Everytime I find myself using it, even when in dialogue, it annoys me. Especially when I can I am being dumb and can't find a better word.

11. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Well it's not a word, and I don't HATE it, but it really really bugs me when people put dots at the end of their sentences. okay you want to portray trailing off, loss of train-of-thought, a pause okay, sure, but at the END OF EVERY SENTENCE AND THE LAST ONE? I mean really? It comes of pretentious to me. like they are trying to say,"oh you didn't know that? I did." or, "I'm always right, my word is gold!"

12. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Hanged refers to a specific kind of execution that has taken place while hung refers to something that has been suspended from an object.

The murder was hanged

The picture was hung on the hook attached to the wall

hung would be correct if they said something like, " Sadam was hung in front of a crowd today." or something to that effect.

13. Kas

Kas New Member

It also works if he is prodigiously endowed as a male.

I dislike all caps in any context. . . there are always better options available on a forum. . . like italics. . . or bold. . . or both. . .:)

You can perceive an insult in anything if you wish, but how do you know it's really there? More likely than not, you'll just be inventing problems for yourself. Even worse if you actually bother other people about it. This segues nicely into my response to Cogito's comment. . .

I feel the same way. But it's also important to distinguish the difference between words that are flexible in context and those that can have no other meaning, which are actually pretty rare. I hate the word 'gook', for example, because I don't see how it can be anything less than an insult. I've never heard anyone say it in a friendly way. On the other hand, I call my gay friends homos all the time; it's kind of a term of endearment.

The only people insulted are passersby who overhear me, so quick to judge with raised eyebrows or a gravely disapproving shake of the head (without bothering to note my sheepishly grinning fairy friends, caught in the act of doing something really gay, like getting distracted by clothes and wanting to try them on when we're already late for a movie, a situation to which I had to respond, "Come on, ya homos!").

It's the in thing now, after all. It's cool to be insulted on behalf of another, especially when there was never an insult exchanged. That gets you bonus points! You multiply your bonus points if you can somehow manage to drag out an hour-long argument over the imaginary insult. It's almost as if people feel the need to create problems just to make their boring lives more interesting - and that bothers me more than any mere word could do.

14. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Very valid point. :-D

15. KurtistheTurtle

KurtistheTurtle New Member

I absolutely HATE the word "Grand." If you're pretentious enough to use that word then I'll stick it up your grand @$$. F Scott Fitzgerald is an awesome writer BUT HE USES THE WORD GRAND FAAAARR TOO MUCH.

He also thought there was a secret society of rich people. I think he just didn't understand the nature of high character.

But anyway, there ya go.

16. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

rather than a word, it's a phrase. "this is where the magic happens" (it's not just a cribs catchphrase anymore :( ) if i have to hear that phrase one more time, i think i might implode.

17. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

What I hate is not a word, nor even a phrase, though there are words and phrases used in this manner: The ad hominem argument.

That's a term used to describe a personal attack made instead of using valid logical arguments against the individuals viewpoints, actions or policies. This also includes racism or any prejudice-based statements.

I hate personal attacks, even when made by people I agree with against people I disagree with.

Aside from that, I'm mildly annoyed by the commonly misused phrase: "I could care less." The correct phrase is, "I couldn't care less." The phrase means, "I don't care." When said incorrectly, it means, "I do care."

18. Unus_Vir

Unus_Vir New Member

I could get the same meaning across, but in certain cases perhaps not as strongly. "Swear" words are meaningless. They're words. The only reason those words are considered vulgar are because you let them be vulgar. You give words their power.

"Hateful" words, on the other hand, are a different matter. They are, as I said, given power by people only. But there has been real hate put behind them. Calling a black person a n(can't type that word here!)gger demeans the fact that they're a human being. It is genuinely used oppressively (not as much as it used to be, but still). You're a n(can't type that word here!)gger, not a human. You're an animal, not one of us. Not to be valued. There is an actual reason that word can be considered hateful. Same with f(can't type that world here!)ggot.

HOWEVER! Black people choosing to call each other "nigga" is great. It just takes away the power. It's used as friend, person, compadre. It's not being used hatefully. It's being used in a friendly manner. The word is being demeaned. When you take a word like n(can't type that word here!)gger, and start throwing it around like it doesn't mean anything, it DOESN'T mean anything. It's not hateful anymore. It's what you want it to be.

NOTE: Some people find that calling black people "black people" is offensive. I refuse to say African American. They could be from Haiti for all you know. Maybe they're from Africa but live in England. It's racist to call all black people African Americans. Is it somewhat racist to call black people "black people"? Yes, it is. But it's a problem I can't quite solve.

Also yes this thank you

19. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Dictionary.com has it listed.

But if you read it, it doesn't necessarily qualify it as a word, either. Hm. I had the same feeling, but someone did tell me it WAS a word, so I was all prepared to prove you wrong and all this. :rolleyes: But I guess it kind of is, but kind of isn't a word, too?

20. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

Nah. It's "regardless". The "ir-" bit is redundant.

When people say "irregardless", I can only assume they're thinking of "irrespective".

21. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I hate the word "babe" or "baby" when it's used to describe women. I don't know what's so great about it.

22. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Guilty as charged. Well actually I do not put this at the end of every sentence. I also try and avoid it on the very last sentence unless I am being sarcastic and or joking. That or in complete shock at something. Not sure if that could even be remotely seen as being used correctly in any form

But I completely get what you are trying to say.

23. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

well using it to portray sarcasm or shock is okay, but when its used randomly and way too much...*sigh*

24. Neets

Neets New Member

I admit to being confused about the word "segway", I thought it was one of those little nerdy looking people movers, now I hear it people using it as a verb?

"Nice segway into our next story Jane."

It's making me nuts. Maybe this word has been covered already.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Although it is actually "segue." "Segway" is a brand name of a two-wheeled personal tranport device.