What word processor do you use?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Veronica0406, Oct 19, 2006.

1. architectus

architectus Banned

Word 2002. I used to have 2007, not sure what I did with it.

The only software that has ever helped me is something called Autocrit and it is online only. You have to pay for full features, though. It's the only program I have found that highlights repeated words, repeated phrases, and overused words, which I find to be the most useful.

2. Donagh

Donagh New Member

I just use wordpad. I couldn't take all the MS annoyances anymore.

I have to agree with writing4me about freemind being a good tool. It really helps with planning and organization! :)

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I use Liquid Story Binder. I have MS Word 2007 as well. I just like the ease of LSB, the way it cross references so many different things and the way that it has many, many different tools, but never forces you to use anything in particular. You use what works for you. You can save and back up the whole kit-&-caboodle (program, docs, pics, everything!) on a pin drive and take it anywhere.

4. Okie

Okie New Member

Open Office. I just had it and I didn't see a reason to buy MS Word if I can do pretty much the same thing in open source software for free. It supports and formats in the word document formats too if I want it to do that.

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Openoffice3.0 its free and contains no annoying paperclip.
    [​IMG]

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

That little bit annoyance from MS Word is a perfect example of the just because you can, don't mean you should rule.

I hated that thing.

7. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

I use a spreadsheet so I can keep track of word count per chapter and overall. It changes many times from first shot to finished. ;)

8. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

I hate it too, so I zapped it. Peace again. :)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Clipit and friends were abn idea carried over from the popular Microsoft program, Bob.

What? You've never heard of it? I wonder why...

The intent was to make an easier to use smart help system. It worked, and some components of it have been used to improve te newer help systems, but they underestimated the annoyance factor.

10. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

i use open office, it may be a bit slow at times but it gets the job done and its free, just download it of the net

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Word 2002.

It came free with my computer, and it puts words onto paper (with use of a printer of course) so I don't see the need for anything else.

12. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Write It Now. Not sure if it costs anything to get, but I got it for free either way.

The only reasons I use it: it makes switching through chapters infinitely easier than it would be on Word, and I can change the background color from the painful white to an easier-on-the-eyes color (I often write at night, so this is important). It has a bunch of stuff for character relationships, personalities, etc., but that's all useless for me.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've been using only ms word 2002 ever since i switched to a pc from a mac, about a dozen years ago... as cog notes, it's the lingua franca of the writing world, so it makes the most sense, as well as being easy to use and doing all i need a program to do...

2007 may have some probs of its own, as well as causing a few for 2002 users, when material is sent us in the new form... i wish it would go away and leave us to the one that worked ok...

14. wilfriedvoss

wilfriedvoss New Member

I use MS-Word as well, actually on a Mac. In addition I purchased a copy of "Scrivener" which allows me to organize ideas. When I write I do a lot of research and "Scrivener" is great for that. It also allows you to organize your story line, which is important, but could be done with Word as well.

Wilfried Voss
    http://www.frogenyozurt.com

15. WrongWriter

WrongWriter Banned

There's a Word 2002? Huh. I had a free copy of Word 2003 on my computer and couldn't stand it, took it off and put on 2000.

Word processing programs are kind of like automatic pistols or eggbeaters, both perfected some time ago.

But whereas people don't try to re-design something like the Colt. 45 auto or eggbeater, they keep cooking up new software in order to make more money. The result is a lot of changes that are for no other purpose than change, the creation of moer complicated ways to do things, the impostion of useless "chrome" and "whistles" in the form of glowing buttons, searching dogs, paperclip messengers, etc.
    My big gripe with 2003 (other than having to learn things all over for no reason) was that it just won't leave you alone. Little crap keeps popping up that you have to deal with. Oh, you just made a "mouse gesture". Oh, you pasted: so now you have a little icon in front of a word, etc.

Open Office, by the way, can export Word files for submission. It can also export a very high grade of pdf documents (the links work, etc) which can be handy.

16. WrongWriter

WrongWriter Banned

BTW, I understand the use of a spread sheet to organize projects and might do it if I used spreadsheets. Instead I create WP files with tables inserted to create my own structure. Do this in both Word and Open Office.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could even flowchart the storyline and plots with Visio, for that matter.

18. uscsux

uscsux New Member

Thank you everyone for all the responses. They all were very helpful! I will try out all the programs suggested and see what works for me.

19. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Okay everybody talking about keeping notes in one place and easily backing things up and changing background colours and quickly organising chapters and avoiding the paperclip ... You do realise you can do all of that with a right click new folder and about one and a half minutes setting options and formatting in any standard word document editor (Word or Open Office) right? Good.

20. vanhunks

vanhunks New Member

I uses MS Word 2003. Great feature for me is the cursor over word, right click for thesaurus. Love that feature.

vanhunks

21. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Sounds like a hassle. The simpler, the better. :D

22. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I use Open Office- it's free and I like it a lot more than Word. For note keeping, I'll store chapters and drafts in folders, and I hand write my notes on setting, character and story into notebooks.

23. Mystery Meat

Mystery Meat New Member

Celtx

Celtx. It's a simple, useful layout for many different types of writing. Simple text editor, storyboard, resource management (lets you keep character profiles, etc).

It also has a community function to it, allowing you to see what projects other people have published on the web using the software. This part is voluntary, of course, and you don't have to let anyone see your work if you choose.

And, best of all, it's free.

24. bruce

bruce Active Member

Free Q10 Text Editor

I'm writing the first draft of my novel now.

I find Q10 text editor very useful

Here is the features list from its website.

25. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

I use open office, and wordweb.
    Gonna go peek at a couple other programs listed in here, because open office can be kind of slow here and there..
    And wordweb is a little offline dictionary / thesaurus, you just ctrl-right click on a word and it will bring up its meaning and synonyms. Fast, easy to use. Sometimes misses the word I clicked, but simple enough to just type it in, since the typing box is always selected..