What works have influenced your writing?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by lordofhats, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. laciemn

laciemn New Member

While books and other people's writing are tremendous sources of inspiration, I find a lot of inspiration elsewhere, like in (gasp) real life and certain characters on TV. The characters created for Buffy and Freaks and Geeks have given me a lot to think about. I think a lot about how most people would react to certain situations, such as in movies.

I credit really bad movies for helping me with character development. It makes you really conscious of what a believable character isn't, which makes you see what is. It also makes you think things like, "Well, that's not believable," or "Why would the character do that? It's completely unrealistic"

Also, fanfiction has shown me a lot about bad writing (and good writing). I think reading fanfiction is a good way to expose yourself to stuff that wouldn't be published for one reason or another, but still has value.

I believe song lyrics of my favorite song bands/singers (RHCP, Tegan and Sara, Green Day, OneRepublic) also supply a lot of good things for writing.

As far as books go...I have certain little tidbits that I take away from each author. The most memorable/recent so far are Tolkien(world building, use of language, characters, plot..name it), Rowling(characters, action), Robin Hobb (for her characters & plot, action), Ilona Andrews (for a fresh perspective, less-serious but still fascinating material, action).

2. Manutebecker

Manutebecker New Member

Stephen King in terms of style, I love how he develops characters. To me, character development is undisputedly the most important part of a story. His characters are living, breathing, almost as if you know everything about them. I try to adapt the style of Orwell and maybe Fitzgerald, but my God, they are waaay to genius for even seasoned writers to replicate even mere blinks of their genius styles. All in all, I really tend to have a narrative view in my book, one that's probably melodramatic. I guess I mostly use my own style :p

3. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

For poems it's mostly books, mostly historical romances, L.M. Montgomery.

I've written a few songs influenced by tv shows.

And a few stories influenced by World Wars.

But the main force behind my stuff always are the greatest work of nature-pushy teachers!lol

4. Themanwhocantbemoved

Themanwhocantbemoved New Member

iv been influnced by stuff that maked me depressingly sad when i know thats iits finished if that makes sense?

5. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

While I think a little of everything I've come across has influenced my writing, probably the biggest influences would be that of my music. A lot (and I mean, like, 88%) of my work is inspired by lyrics in music, or the tempo, even something like the bass just intensifies a certain scene or charges my thoughts to create a new angle with something.

My biggest influences would be 30 Seconds to Mars, Panic at the Disco, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, Paramore, & Linkin Park. The minor ones would be anything else on my ipod, which is anything from orchestra music to hip-hop/rap.

Writers, though, influence me not as much. Still, certain ones like Jonathan Stroud (The Bartimaeus Trilogy), Stephenie Meyer (Twilght Saga), Stephen King (Bag of Bones), Libba Bray (The Sweet Far Thing), Jennifer Rardin (The Jaz Parks Series), and Laurel K. Hamilton (Anita Blake Series) seem to be the heavy influencers. Those are the books I pick up daily for wisdom and information, and usually the ones who motivate me to write more to reach my goal.

6. love2listen

love2listen New Member

Several times in Lord Of The Rings Tolkien uses the expression "every one of his senses reeling". I do use the phrase "senses reeling". I absolutely love that.

Bryce Corbett's book A Town Like Paris is the way I want to write. Really.

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

What has Influenced my writing so far?

Stephen King (Namly only "It", "The Stand" and "The Dark Tower"

Peter F. Hamilton - For showing how to create dozens of kick arse characters that differ so much and possibly (for me) some awesome character development.

Tolkien - Thank you for your world!

Tv/Movies

The Matrix, Dark City, Bladerunner, Lost, Six Foot Under

Also, the fact i hate humanity so much and its stupidity which i witness every moment of every day inspires me to new heights.

Music

Opera - Greatest music of all, and it just inspires me (I couldnd imaginem ost of it existing in my worlds some how)

Nightwish - Smaller extent.

8. joe

joe New Member

Great thread topic.

Although I always liked writing, I started out in film first. My favorite Hollywood screenwriter is Shane Black (who wrote the scripts for LAST BOYSCOUT, LETHAL WEAPON, and he wrote & directed KISS KISS BANG BANG). The dialogue from those movies is brilliant.

The humor is smart and irreverent, and Black's style inspired me to be a little bolder when it comes to vivid descriptions. He also reminds me that creative writing is supposed to be fun.