1. chotz

chotz New Member

Abdominal Stab Wounds

Discussion in 'Research' started by chotz, May 31, 2020.

Hey, I'm researching abdominal stab wounds for a story I'm writing, and I need some help. Part of my MC's backstory is that she was attacked when she was around 12 years old and stabbed maybe 3 times in the abdomen with a common kitchen knife or something similar. I don't know much about this, but I want it to be believable. I'm trying to figure out exactly where those wounds could be, so I'd really love some suggestions. I've found some info on how long someone can survive with a single stab wound to different areas of the abdomen, but I haven't been able to find out details about multiple areas at once. I would also really appreciate any info on how long it would take to recover, any lasting damage, etc. as well as if something could plausibly happen years later because of this (passing out, wound reopening, etc.), even if she'd been fine before. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It would take weeks to months depending on the severity
    and what organs were damaged.
    Will rule out the liver, since they would bleed out really
    fast and probably not survive long enough to make it
    to a hospital.
    Once the wounds heal, they won't just pop open again
    unless they are acted upon with another assault with
    a knife or gun, they would scar over as part of the healing
    process. Sure they could cause some complications after
    healing, but that would be dependent on if they had to have
    donor organs to help aid in their recovery. If not then
    all the hazards would typically be due to infections during
    the initial healing process. So there is a high percentage they
    would only be self conscience about the scars left behind from
    the original attack.
    PTSD would be the only lasting condition as a result that could
    negatively affect them as a result of the trauma. Organ rejection
    if that is a factor may cause problems at any point.

So long as they are not stabbed in any main arteries/veins, and
    have gotten medical care in a short amount of time they should
    be alright. Even an angled up blade to both lungs missing the rib
    cage, will be death in a few minutes, so only hitting one will work
    as an acute life threatening injury.

Good luck with this.
    (Not a doctor, just know a bit about the human body.)

Cdn Writer and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  3. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I'm pretty sure her diet would be affected if the stomach was involved, perhaps she wouldn't be eating solid foods for a bit, perhaps a long while. Also if the reproductive organs - womb, fallpion tubes, etc - were involved it could make future pregnancies very risky or impossible.

I'm trying to figure out what organs are down there - womb, stomach, intestines, kidneys - more to the rear but depending on the length of the knife they might be impacted as well.

So reproduction, eating/digesting foods, urinating, umm.....the bowels?

I'm not sure what impact the age would be - younger people tend to heal faster but they tend to be smaller so stabbing them probably does more damage.

Nuts....I'm just creating more issues, aren't I? Sorry! I'm really curious how this plays out.

Scott

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Pancreas, kidneys, gall bladder and urinary bladder (besides the liver already mentioned). I didn't know this until I visited that Body Worlds exhibit where they had the organs all preserved in resin, but the stomach is mostly up inside the ribcage, protected behind the ribs. Though it does extend down into the abdominal cavity to some extent.

[​IMG]

The bowel is the end of the large intestine, I think it's also known as the descending colon (not totally sure on that one). So it's mostly all intestines, aside from the organs mentioned.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

^^ Complete with Throckmorton sign, I see. :whistle: :-D

To the OP, if you're at all familiar with the Riddick films, please do not take the "Sweet Spot" or anything you may surmise from its mention as accurate. Pure Hollywood mumbo jumbo.

https://riddick.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sweet_Spot

6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I used to work with a guy named Throckmorton. He was kind of a tool.

Actually most of the time he was cool and hilarious. He constantly thought the world was about to end, and at the beginning of every month would make new predictions for when and pencil it in on the workplace calendar. He also bought gold and stockpiled it for the big crash.

7. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Lower quadrant abdominal wounds are a high infection risk. If the bowel is pierced faecal matter leaks out into the peritoneum and can lead to life threatening infection. Parts of the bowel can die if starved of oxygen, which could lead to parts being removed. Some people can end up with a temporary or permanent colostomy bag. In females the uterus could be damaged. The bladder tends to be somewhat protected by the pelvis but can sometimes be nicked if the angle is right.

In thin people with not much abdominal fat the abdominal aorta is only 2-3 inches below the skin surface. The upper quadrants have more protection from the thoracic cage but the liver can sometimes be lacerated, leading to the potential need for partial removal if it cannot be repaired. The pancreas sits quite deep so unlikely to be injured. If the stomach is punctured digestive fluids, which are very acidic can leak causing problems.

Also, if the weapon is angled upwards in the upper quadrants, the diaphragm can sometimes be punctured. This could affect the lungs, but also means abdominal contents can end up in the thoracic cavity, which would impede the lungs, affecting breathing.

8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    What would be the potential effects on the girl/woman as far as pregnancy goes? Is it still possible? Does she need special attention?

I assume the Original Poster is writing about an adult who was stabbed in the past when she was 12 and I'm wondering what she's in for if she decides to try and have a child one day.

Really just my curiosity at this point. I have no idea what the writer is going to do with the character.

Scott

9. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

It would depend on lots of different variables. Not really my area of expertise but I guess if there’s lots of internal scar tissue to the uterus, that might affect a pregnancy. If the uterus is damaged enough and can’t be repaired there’s potential a hysterectomy might be needed.

Cdn Writer likes this.