27.3%
  3. Poleaxe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dueling Shield

18.2%
  1. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

What would be a good weapon for a water elemental hero?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JDavidB, Feb 20, 2016.

The story I'm writing depicts a war between two sets of Magical Girls. There are six good magical girls and six evil ones. They all have a different weapon and fighting style. I've come up with one for each of them except for the Magical Girl of Water. Now I know I will eventually come up with something good, but I'm curious to see what you guys think would fit best. I just think it would nice to know what other people think is cool. It should be something that's unique compared to what the other girls use. Here's a super simple list of the other girls weapons and fighting styles to help avoid redundancy.

Nature: Nature uses a wand made of twigs with golden ball of energy suspended above it. She can shoot this energy at things and coat her hands with it so she can slice through things with her fingers.

Death: Creates scythes made of energy. She can also reanimate the dead.

Fire: The first girl of fire uses a naginata. Her replacement uses a messer (which is a knife the size of a sword).

Earth: Uses a bow staff made of gems. She can make the bow staff become a spear.

Love: Uses a cane sword. She uses the scabbard as a bludgeon in her off hand.

Steel: Steel has claw gantlets and a sharp metal tail. She can change the shape and sharpness of both.

Ice: Uses a bow.

Storm: Uses darts, throwing knifes, and shurikens. She also has a "rope dart", which is a dart at the end a rope. You can throw the dart and then pull it back.

Smog: Uses a Ball and Kama, but instead of a normal iron ball it's an incense censer, which she uses to spread her toxins. (I'm most proud of this one.)

Wind: Uses Chakrams.

Hate: Hate has magical flames around her hands. When she claws the ground it sends out cracks that later explode. She can also burn people with her hand to hand attacks.

2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

Water makes me think of flow; flow makes me think of blood. Something that cuts and lets blood run freely. But water is also associated with healing and renewal. Perhaps a surgeon's knife?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Or the trident, which is pretty commonly used among water creatures.

Oscar Leigh and GuardianWynn like this.
  4. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

How about a weapon made of shark teeth? They come in many different sizes and could be used as projectiles or as claws on some sort of gauntlet. You could even have a gauntlet capable of launching the teeth as well as having one attached to each digit.

Seraph751 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Now I am thinking of one of those high pressure power washers, few hundred PSI cuts through a lot. Supersoaker to the rescue. :)

6. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Well, in water the most effective weapon is a spear and spear-like weapon. This is because piecing weapons have less drag. Slashing weapons have a lot of drag and are slowed down by a lot under water. Blunt weapons lose most of their force due to drag too, but weapons you stab with, like a spear work the best under water. Assuming you are looking for real under water application.

Seraph751 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. DarkusTerror

DarkusTerror Member

Oh boy, my imagination is stirring. Water is one of the most destructive forces there is, but it is completely required to sustain life. Using it as a weapon would really depend on the morality of your character - do they like to cause extra pain, or finish the job straight up? Maybe they don't like fighting at all, but have a weapon for self defence? Whatever it is, I can think of a few ways in which water can cause damage.

Water is one of the best carriers for pathogens that can cause disease. If run over an open wound caused by a cut or something, it can infect the area and potentially kill off the opponent, given enough time.

Alternatively, you can drown someone by covering their head with water and filling up their lungs. Takes about a minute or so, depending on the person, but it gets the job done.

Of course, you could go with a high-pressure stream of water. There are some hoses with enough pressure in them that they can cut through metal. Imagine doing that to a person...

Here's what I'm thinking of for a weapon. It will combine the potential of all three of these methods....

An umbrella. Yes. An umbrella that opens with a trigger on its handle. YES. But not just any umbrella. Let's say a rifle barrel replaces the main shaft. Yes, yes...and maybe, instead of a simple handle, we have the handle of a gun for the trigger? Mmhmm, and how about...oh, the tip can be the barrel opening, but let's add a bayonet knife attached to it as well!

There. You have a blade to cut people. You have a cannon to shoot water under extremely high-pressure. You can use it to spray mist into the air as well. And don't forget the umbrella. Because, you know, you have to have style.

...jokes aside, a water pistol could actually be hilariously viable.

8. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

Seeing as you have some oriental weapons already, how about Kyoketsu-shoge?

It's a small blade and hook attached to a very long chain with a weight at the other end. The act of using one looks similar to a dance, and is very flowing, but if done right is precise and accurate at range and close combat, allowing the user to ensnare the enemy before delivering the killing blow.

That's the full episode of the 'Hundred Eyes' featurette for Marco Polo, but it's only the first few minutes that has the character use the weapon.

Oscar Leigh and Seraph751 like this.
  9. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

These are some good suggestions. To answer some of your questions she is a good person. And she would prefer if the kill was clean. It doesn't have to be weapon that can work under water because none of her enemies can fight under water. The weapon mostly just needs to be weapon to use in close quarters. Here water based attacks are done with her mind. Although if the weapon can somehow shoot the water that could work. I want to stay away from guns though.

10. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

A shaft based weapon could be hallowed out for the purpose of holding water. I once had a water ninja use a sai for this reaon, since a sai has a cylinder base that reach to points. There is no fundemental reason it can't be hallowed out. A sai is basically a trident without the staff. It is a close quarters defensive based weapon that is designed to break swords. Even though it has a tip it is more of a blunt weapon.

Food for thought. :)

Oscar Leigh and JDavidB like this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Trident would be the cliche, but you could do a spear, lance, staff or poleaxe. Alternatively, some kind of chain-based weapon? Or maybe daggers?

12. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

I already have two rope/chain weapons so probably not that. A lot of people are suggesting polearms which is what I'm leaning to right now. The sai idea wasn't bad though.

13. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

Something long and pointy works fine. Things like tridents and harpoons and similar are very associated with water, at least in western culture. People will certainly get it without having to think too much.

But I think there's a better idea. I think the weapon should be poison. Not a poisoned blade, not a poisoned dart. Just poison.

Because water destroys it's enemies like a river wears away a stone. One drop at a time.

14. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Traditionally a trident would be expected though a spear is a better weapon for use in water. How about making it out of ice and giving it the power to fill up a person's lungs with water thus drowing them.

Cheers, Greg.

15. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

There where a lot of good suggestions for weapons for the Magical girl of Water. Since the point of the thread was to see what people think is cool, I thought hey, why not let people actually pick the weapon? So I've decided to make a poll. I tried to add the poll to the original thread but the edit button has been removed form all of my posts so I had to make a new one. (Must happen after a certain about time or something?) I've narrowed it down to four weapons. I like all of them so whatever wins will work with me.

Here are the choices. I'm planning on having Water fight with a sphere of water constantly swirling around her. A hole opens up briefly when ever she strikes. Alternately she could use a dueling shield which is a two handed shield that is meant to be an offensive weapon. It has spikes and hooks that are used for attacking. In this version she would use the shield like a surf board, and make a wave follow her. It's very different form he other weapons but could be pretty interesting.

A Yari Spear.
    [​IMG]

A Halberd
    [​IMG]

A Poleaxe
    [​IMG]

A dueling Shield
    [​IMG]

16. Fl0wergirl101

Fl0wergirl101 Member

Ah they all sound really cool and interesting. It depends what the other characters are using. If a lot of them are using offensive weapons like the first three and this character also uses something similar it may be hard to distinguish them apart. I love the idea of the duelling shield as a surfboard it sounds really unique. I think that one.

17. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

Here's a list of what the other girls use if that helps anyone.

Nature: Nature uses a wand made of twigs with golden ball of energy suspended above it. She can shoot this energy at things and coat her hands with it so she can slice through things with her fingers.

Death: Creates scythes made of energy. She can also reanimate the dead.

Fire: The first girl of fire uses a naginata. Her replacement uses a messer (which is a knife the size of a sword).

Earth: Uses a bow staff made of gems. She can make the bow staff become a spear.

Love: Uses a cane sword. She uses the scabbard as a bludgeon in her off hand.

Steel: Steel has claw gantlets and a sharp metal tail. She can change the shape and sharpness of both.

Ice: Uses a bow.

Storm: Uses darts, throwing knifes, and shurikens. She also has a "rope dart", which is a dart at the end a rope. You can throw the dart and then pull it back.

Smog: Uses a Ball and Kama, but instead of a normal iron ball it's an incense censer, which she uses to spread her toxins. (I'm most proud of this one.)

Wind: Uses Chakrams.

Hate: Hate has magical flames around her hands. When she claws the ground it sends out cracks that later explode. She can also burn people with her hand to hand attacks.

18. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

19. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

your threads have been merged :)

20. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

Thanks. I was worried about cluttering up the forum but I didn't see any way to add the poll to the original. It's better this way.

Mckk likes this.
  21. Echoblammo

Echoblammo New Member

I voted for a Yari Spear, because it closely resembles a Trident, If you ask me, and would be most suited to aquatic combat. A Yari would slice through the water quickly and would be very Hydro-Dynamic. It also kind of reminds me of ancient fishing techniques with Spears. Halberds and Poleaxes seem to have a more medieval feel for an Magical Aquatic girl, and a Dueling shield (Albeit unique) would be too cumbersome for use in aquatic Environments.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I get an error message when I try to find the pole but my vote goes for a spear as well. It's simply the most practical weapon in water.

Cheers, Greg.

23. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

It's at the top of the new thread the poll was merged with the original.

24. JDavidB

JDavidB Member

Well it seems the Yari spear has won. It's funny when I was brainstorming weapons it was the fist one I came up with. I guess I should have went with it all along. I liked the idea of a dueling shield but honestly it doesn't fit the character. She's going to be sort of a nerdy character and it doesn't fit to have her use such a large and bulky weapon.

25. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I love the thought of Rope Darts for Water.
    The link below provides a video for you to see how the Rope Darts are used and with water being so fluid I thought that this was a great match!

GuardianWynn likes this.