What Would Say Is Your Staple Diet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

You seen to eat a lots of fruits which in my views are not solid as such.
    I think you have a very good balance of food.
    The food I avoid are tin food/packaged bread and fizzy drinks.

2. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Actually we know far more about evolution than we do about gravity. There is no reason to believe in evolution, it just is. No 'belief' required.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pasta, hands down!

which is no surprise, my sicilian/italian half being dominant [the irish/german half seems to have no effect on my food preferences, though the german makes me practical and, in my drinking days, the irish made me a happy tippler]...

i became a moral vegetarian 16 years ago, after a lifetime of being an enthusiastic carnivore, so the rest of my diet consists of fruit and veggies... with a strong leaning toward broccoli, along with rice and potatoes, as the 'staples'...

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That is exactly where I my belief does not allow to just IS.
    I only believe it if I see it and only see it if I understand it.
    I cannot afford to just 'IS'. It is not in me and that is the problme or the solution whichever way you look at it.

5. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

You must have a VERY small belief system. better get some handholds in case your faith in gravity gets shaky !

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

So you are a vegetarian and a teetotaler?
    I was a vegetarian once. I had to because my ex partner was.
    It was Ok for a bit but then we decided it was not worth it because of where we were living in Spain.
    The food and the meat there is just amasing so I was not going to miss out .

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hehe...good point.
    My faith is as grounded as gravity grounds me.
    Gravity is greater then evolution in terms of what it achieves.
    Let's put it this way without gravity there ain't be no evolution.
    So I chose to believe in gravity because of its weight significance and power.

8. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Sex, drugs and rock and roll are my diet.

And marmalade. I do enjoy marmalade.

9. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Surely the marmalade goes without saying?

10. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

A debate on evolution could be opened in another, separate thread. this one is about food. That is, if a debate could take place without demeaning or belittling comments toward those with different beliefs. Evolution is far from a solid, proven fact.

Back to the diet, when I began the Atkin's diet one guy at work told me I was "digesting my skeleton and would die" from this diet as it doesn't include calcium. After a year, I threw my fire department physical results down in front of him. My cholesterol had come within the acceptable parameters as had all of my numbers. Blood pressure was at 114/72 at 55 years old.

11. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I wanted to affirm my position on toast based toppings. If I could worship Jam flavours, I would.

A Strawberry deity isn't the worst thing you could devote your life too, I mean hey, he'd be delicious. And imagine the afterlife!

Corr, I might just change alleigance......the Pagans have got nothing on this. Then again, they do have a fire God.........it's a tricky one......

Gah, I can't decide. I'll take both. Though the toast may end up burnt after the combination.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what do you mean?
    that youproved him wrong?
    I mean there is that element of calcium which is very importan, and it is a valid point.

13. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Two things wrong with this: one is that the point was that evolution drives diet and two, evolution is a proven fact. As proven as anything else we know about and more is known than most sciences, including, just for example, thermodynamics, which we know quite a bit about. that is not my opinion or belief, that is a fact.

14. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

you have a scary imaganation. The strawberry god is particularly unsettling!

15. Alex W

Alex W New Member

It does seem to only be in America where Evolution is readily not accepted, much like Climate Change. Strange, when almost everywhere else it is solid fact.

I do believe Evoluion is a fact, as much as I believe my hand is made of skin. Evolution is fascinating too, much better than the other explanation. A 'pop goes the weasel' type creation, which is....well......ridiculous.

(I'm all for your own beliefs by the way, it's just when something's fact I find it strange that people would argue otherwise)

16. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I'm like Steven King without the horror part. I get that laugh that you come across when you see a dog topple an 8 year old as it runs for a badly aimed tennis ball.

17. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Where there is investment, there is denial.

And BTW, I work with a lot of Brits and the vast majority seem to think the global warming is a "loada ruuubbish cooked up by the guv'mint"! Mind you, most of my sampling also seem to have some difficulty in grasping the fact that Corrie is not real so my sampling may not be accurate. OTOH circulation numbers for The Sun et al may indicate otherwise.

18. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Please do not read The Sun. Just as a general rule. We buy it for the football news and the celebrity trivia, I would never take such a paper seriously on anything remotely serious.

And the British people you quote don't sound the smartest from your initial quotation, I suspect they're the same ones who think England/Scotland can win/qualify for a World Cup and that the Polish are stealing all the work etc.

Simples. (The people, I mean...)

19. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Oh yes. they wouldn't be the brightest bulbs. And I do not buy the SUN, especially not for the sports. Unfortunately its being imported here now. As if we haven't got enough problems.

20. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Well, you did send us Jedward. I suspect we could Nuke every pub in your lands and it still wouldn't be retribution enough.

21. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Oh that is looooow.

However, they are deserving of their own thread!

22. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I see no one mentioned haggus.;)

23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

That's because it's not Burns' Night every day. ;)

24. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That's a point.
    If I like something then I would want to eat it all the time obviously some you can't because it is not in season.
    So what happens if you are not Scottish?
    You still have to wait till Burns Night?

25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You can eat it any time you like; but it's a traditional meal eaten on Burns' Night.
    Now, I'm from a rather traditional Scottish family so we have the full works, Quack with Whiskey, Poetry and everything.