1. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

A few questions about the Maritime Safety and Security Teams in the Coast Guard

Discussion in 'Research' started by WriterDude, May 11, 2012.

I'm working on a novel where the four MCs are all part of the Maritime Safety and Security Team in the Coast Guard. I've done a lot of research, and the MSST seems perfect. They even use a helicopter that fits perfectly for the story. But much as I've tried, there are a few things I can't seem to figure out.

1. What are the ranks in the MSST? Are there any?

2. If all four women signed up for it in the late 1970s when they were in their early 20s or late teens, can they be assigned to the same group? And if so, can they still work together now, somewhere between the year 2000 and 2010? (they will anyway, but I'd prefer to keep it as authentic as possible.)

3. I know the Jayhawk is equipped with a medium machine gun and semi-automatic rifle, but what are the team armed with when they are outside the helicopter?

4. Maybe a tiny bit off-topic, but if a person with a basic idea of how to fly helicoptes find the helicopter (Sikorsky HH-60 Jayhawk), can he/she fly it? As it's meant to be operated by four people, I take it two man the guns, one fly it and one mans the hoist? Or am I missing something? You can fly the helicopter on your own, right?

Thanks. :)

2. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Ok time for me to bust your bubble
    The MSST units where created after 9/11 so there was none in the 70’s
    If you joined in the 79 at 20 you would be over 50 now,. Remember the force out age in the military is 65. Its dough full you would still be doing this mission even if it existed then

As for weapons their sidearm is the Sig 229R in 40 S&W
    Shotgun is the Remington M870P in 12 Gage
    For assault rifles they have M4 and M16a2’s in 5.45x45mm.
    Battle rifles they have the m14, 7.62x51 (honestly have never seen it on their ships, the only time I ever saw one was on a USN destroyers deck patrol.)

Your group you are asking about would also have access to other weapons the standard cost guard weapons I listed above.
    They also have
    CQBR or MK 18 as its also called. It’s a replacement receiver for the m4 making it like the colt commando
    SR-25 in 7.62x51. this is a precision rifle, used for sniper missions
    M203, 40 mm grenade launcher
    M107 .50 caliber rifle

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Thanks, that helps a lot. And sorry, I didn't mean they signed up for the MSST in the 70s. I meant if they joined the Coast Guard back then, then the MSST when it was created. :redface: Then again I realize that kinda answered my own question. If they joined the Coast Guard together, I don't see why they shouldn't still be doing it in 2001. After that, they all joined the MSST and stayed there a few years together. :) And to clearify, the book consist of two different (yet connected) stories with the same main characters. I'm thinking the 1970s story could end with them joining the Coast Guard, and they have already joined the MSST in the somewhat-present day story. And btw, the age isn't a problem. They are in their late teens in the 70s (somewhere between 18 and 20), so if they were 20 in 1970, they should be in their 40s or early 50s now (roughly 2005). Still a long way to go to 65. :)

As for the ships, they are using a helicopter in the story. I checked, uh, wikipedia. :redface: Not the most reliable source, I know. Still, I don't see why they couldn't use it for real. I need a helicopter as this is the second book in a trilogy, and the characters in the first one 'found' a helicopter from the Coast Guard. It's the same one. ;)

And thanks for the list of firearms. That helps a lot. I didn't realize they had that much firepower to play with. This could be... interesting. :p

4. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

owww for ranks, this may help,
    if you scroll down it has E1 to E10 then O1 to O10