1. Gringoamericano

Gringoamericano New Member

Where can I learn more about the music industry?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gringoamericano, Jan 21, 2012.

I'm writing a comic (and an accompanying novel) about interns in a record company and a band that recently signed with one.

It'll be a satire of the music industry; the people who work for it; selling out; eccentric musicians; people who shoehorn anti-corporate speeches into any conversation they have, no matter how irrelevant; etc. All while working in an overlying plot about magic (though that won't have much to do with most of the main characters) and satanism in rock.

Problem is, I have no idea what goes on in a record company. I don't know what interns do, I don't know how bands get signed or what they do immediately after they get signed, I don't know what the people in charge do, none of that stuff.

Does anybody know where I can learn more about the inner workings of the music industry?

2. louis1

louis1 Member

i work in the music industry sooooo. i'll answer what i know.
    interns' in the studio', do shitty stuff, like get coffee, setting up the mics early, staying late to name the recorded files on a computer etc.
    bands get signed in a lot of different ways... anything is possible.
    after they get signed, i guess they party ? that's personal to the band .
    but the major, makes them record the album, if they haven't already.

i hope i helped.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see how you're going to be able to depict a world you know nothing about... simply asking for info isn't going to get you there...

it'll take tons and months of research to learn enough to even start your book, if you have the determination to make it even close to authentic... you can start by doing google and amazon searches for books about the music industry written by insiders... also do an www.imdb.com search for movies set in that world... and google for magazine articles about and interviews with major figures in the industry...

i seriously doubt you can pull it off, as a clueless outsider, but would love to see you prove me wrong...