?

Would you read?

1. Yes, because it's a viable subject that hasn't been explored properly.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, because it takes the choices and decisions a video game gives me away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DystopianApocolypse

DystopianApocolypse Member

Books about video games

Discussion in 'Research' started by DystopianApocolypse, Apr 4, 2016.

Is there no purpose in writing a book about characters interacting with a video game. The reason I ask is because Video game movies tend to do fairly poorly. this can be speculated because of the lack of choice and decision/interaction a video game gives you that a movie simply cannot supply. It's speculated this is why video game based movies do so poorly, and because they were simply made in locations to gain profit from tax laws.
    See this if you don't understand what I'm saying:

So, I ask you, do video game books have to suffer the same fate? Is it interesting and interactive enough to have a story about a group of characters dealing with problems as they interact with the video game that connect them all?

2. SadStories

SadStories Active Member

I think the reason video game movies generally fail is because they haven't attracted any talent yet. It's usually just greedy movie people trying to earn money by using established names like Need for Speed. Aside from interesting exceptions like Silent Hill, there is no passion involved. I think this will change once newer generations, who have a much more extensive relationship to the medium, start making movies. There are actually plenty of movies inspired by video games in general though, that were pretty good and fairly successful. Everything from Edge of Tomorrow and The Matrix to WarGames and Tron. There is also that Ready Player One book which was a huge success, and which, if I remember correctly, is currently being made into a movie by Steven Spielberg. The book takes place almost entirely within a video game.

In short, in my opinion, there is nothing stopping stories about characters interacting with video games from being good. Neither is there any reason not to be inspired by video games, or even write books based on video games. Personally I wish some really respected, talented writer, like Joyce Carol Oates, would write a very thick, epic novel based on Pokémon. I think it would be interesting to get all the psychology of a 10-year-old traveling the world by themselves, collecting animals which they use to fight other people's animals in a quest to become the greatest person in the world at training animals to fight.

3. DystopianApocolypse

I see your point, thanks. I thought tron came from a comic though, the more you know.

I will get back to my story idea then and yes that does sound rather interesting. I've always wished for a darker pokemon title. The games have already thoroughly set up a universe and basics of this universe, time to start making things about the other side of pokemon than tree named professor, 8 gyms, and elite four. why I'm looking forward to detective picachu.

SadStories likes this.
  4. SadStories

SadStories Active Member

Oh, as far as I know the good movies I mentioned are all original works, or are all based on comics. There wasn't any Tron game before long after the movies, I believe. I just meant to say that a lot of movies about video games or that have video game-like elements are actually pretty good. And yeah, there are a lot of cool details about Pokémon that are never properly explored ... For example, is it even ethical to have animals fight each other? I heard there was something like that in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, but that it was handled pretty shallowly. Maybe I should just change the name to "Little Monsters" or something, make up my own bunch of monsters and try to write my own dark, brutal take on Pokémon some day.

5. DystopianApocolypse

Well I would certainly read that. and as Poke-mon means pocket-monster, and digi-mon means digital-monsters, Little-monster sounds like a rather fitting and legitimate name, something you couldn't be sued over at least as it's rather generic. And yeah they've had like two groups that are basically their world's PETAS, who try to free pokemon from "imprisonment" and "slavery". But be honest, you find a damn dragon in the local forest you're gonna try and capture the damn thing.

SadStories likes this.
  6. SadStories

SadStories Active Member

I agree. Dragons in local forests must always be captured.