What Would Your MC Do? (part II)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Simpson17866, Mar 7, 2017.

1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Woppo: Humans.
    Bart: I don't have a pet peeve, but if I did I would name it Staniel. Remind me what they eat again? Suddenly I want to buy one.
    Monica: All the attention I get from humans with dyed hair whenever someone uses my name. Leave me to savor my meal in peace! This is a respectable establishment, is it not? [continues eating his Big Mac]
    Fred: I don't have any. I'm too busy researching huma-- I mean, other people's pet peeves. So far, the biggest pet peeve seems to be taxes, followed by having me ask them what their pet peeve is and jotting it down, and announcing to people that you're a vegan atheist who does cross-fit.

Your MC is studied by aliens. As the only specimen of your species available for them to observe, what conclusions do the aliens draw about your MC's species based on your MC alone? (Your MC is unable to communicate with the aliens unless that's part of their abilities.)

2. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Studying Grier reveals that humans are highly aggressive, hardy folk who survive almost exclusively on pancake syrup and caffeine.

What sort of vacation photos does your protagonist take?

3. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

If cameras existed in their world, it would go something like this:

Iespher:
    Would be scowling, in a photo taken by somebody else.

Lithiel: Dramatic backdrop, exactly the right pose, immaculate dress. Would make it seem like she has no idea a photo is being taken.

Theodric: Would hold the camera at a downward angle and smirk, with the last army he vanquished in the background.

Morrion:
    The "places" where he goes on "vacation" really don't lend themselves to photography.

Eden Rei:
    He's a globetrotting pilgrim, so he would probably try to catch himself leaning against lots of famous landmarks.

Eki Rei: Vacation? What are those?

Kalren: Would much rather bring home a pile of charcoal sketches of the scenery.

Your MC gets a crank call. How do they deal with it?

4. rktho

Woppo: Download their personal information and let them believe they have their victory.
    Bart: (has no idea it's a prank)
    Monica: Yes yes my refrigerator is running but do you have any recommendations as to what I should put in it?
    Fred: Record the entire call for analysis.

Your protagonist and antagonist switch roles, backstories and memories but keep their personalities. What changes?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. Night Herald

(I have no well-defined central antagonist as of yet, so I've paired characters with their arch rivals)

Lithiel <> Ehlio: Lithiel would be dead right at the beginning. Ehlio would die some time later, because he haven't got what it takes to be a crime lord. Plus, Malgrieve does not care for his tone.

Eden Rei <> Morrion: Eden may not be strictly mortal, but his mind certainly is. Can't handle the sheer volume of Morrion's memories and promptly goes insane. An insane Eden is no fun for anybody. Morrion handles Eden's inciting incident somewhat differently, i.e not at all. He has better things to do than save the world.

Eden Rei <> The Brittle Chaos: The world is fucked. Just trust me on this.

Flogg <> Malgrieve: Flogg has not the smallest fraction of Malgrive's intellect/charisma/faintest idea how to run a crew of ruthless killers. Plus, he is off his ass on drugs all the time. If he retains Malgrieve's bodyguard, he lives, but grows increasingly more paranoid. Uses his vast wealth and connections to procure a very sturdy castle and copious amounts of drugs. Retires. Malgrieve bides his time and waits for the merest sliver of a chance to move up in the world. Has his (Flogg's) parents killed for being shitty parents. Has Toad killed once he's served his purpose. Conquers the world bit by bit.

Iespher <> Malgrieve: With Malgrieve's wealth and influence, there's not a whole lot of limit to what Iespher can accomplish. First of all, he gets vengeance on Lithiel. Then he gets rid of most of the laws she introduced. Then he brokers peace with the Thronelanders, only to stab them in the back at the most opportune moment. Finally, he dedicates his every waking hour to figuring out the robot. Malgrieve, now a penniless vagabond, ingratiates himself to the nearest authority figure. Once he has his foothold, he uses cunning and subterfuge to rise to the top. It's kind of his thing. Has Kalren killed for being annoying.

Theodric <> Vienburg: Mutiny on day one. Vienburg is strung up and set on fire. Theodric makes for a decent Emperor.

Kalren <> Kism: Kalren has no idea what he's supposed to be doing with these powers. Makes a mess of things. Kism finds being human somewhat quaint, but severely limiting in terms of actually getting anything done.

Morrion <> Kism: Morrion has tons and tons of fun with Kism's powers. The universe just kinda ends as a result. Kism with Morrion's powers is still pretty damned powerful, and does what he can to salvage things.

Your MCs favorite video game, and why?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. rktho

Aldous: I did start a family. Look at me now. My wife divorced me, I'm too busy with work to spend time with my daughter, and I just found out the super I'm trying to kill is a TEENAGER! What is he DOING being a superhero? He's fourteen! That's way too dangerous to be fighting muggers, let alone ME! And now I find out he doesn't have a father and he's doing this whole superhero thing behind his mother's BACK! So I basically have to be this kid's DAD now! Oh, and he's dating my daughter, now, too? Great. How am I supposed to take over the world NOW?

Gary: Oh, yeah, that'd be nice.

Your MC switches ages with a significantly younger/older character.

7. Night Herald

Kalren <> Morrion: Being just a regular bloke, Kalren is not built to be several thousand years old. Becomes a pile of dust.

Lithiel <> Theodric:
    "Well, this is no fun at all. My bones hurt, everything sags, none of my clothes fit, and what the hell happened to my liver?"

Kism <> Tjavi:
    "I used to be older than time. Never imagined I'd have to deal with puberty, of all things."

How would your MC solve a hostage crisis?

8. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Faris: If outside: either doent care, if no one he cares about is in danger, if someone is, attempt to charge in, gets himself and some hostages killed. If he is a hostage, gets himself killed trying to fight them.

Jason: If outside: Doesn't. Hes outta there. Doesnt matter who's in trouble, hes a coward and is not about to get involved in that mess. (Although if someone he does care about is inside he'd linger close by, wantimg to know what happened. If inside: tries to negotiate with the bad guys, never quite crossing the line to make them kill him. May be successful, depending.

Shiloh: If outside: let's the better trained adults handle it. If she has to: is an awkward flustered mess and gives the bad guys everything they want. If inside: sits down and keeps her mouth shut and tries to keep Jason under control.

Mahuru: If outside, is calm and competent. If inside, also stays calm and tries to keep the other hostages calm as they wait for rescue.

Your MCs close friend/family member has not been acting like themself. What is your MCs assumption as to why?

9. rktho

Woppo: I must be rubbing off on them.
    Bart: What if they're an alien too? I'm not the only non-human on this planet!
    Monica: Did they eat something that disagreed with them?
    Fred: This is most unlike them. It doesn't match the data I've collected on them so far. I need to conduct some experiments so I can draw conclusions.

Your MC gets to change the way their least favorite food tastes. What is it and what does it taste like now?

10. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

I'm guessing Grier would make veggies taste like ice cream or something. Possibly pancakes with syrup.

Your protagonist is still on vacation, and they find themselves at a gas station surrounded by nick nacks with common names written on them. Two part question: what are the odds of your protagonist finding a nick back with their name on it, and what item would they be most likely to purchase?

11. rktho

Woppo: [finds his name immediately and purchases a vial with it]
    Bart: [can only find The Simpsons merchandise] [buys all of it]
    Fred: [purchases a pen]
    Monica: Why is everything with my name on it in pink? [holds up a plate with flowers on it, decides he'll settle for that]

Your MC invents a new Harry Potter spell. What does it do?