Tags:
  1. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

What's a vampire worth?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Imaginarily, Apr 26, 2017.

Okay so like.

If you were the FBI and you had an undercover agent tracking down a suspected vampire, what would you offer as a reward?

A million dollars? A promotion to head of the Vampire Department? Or is it just part of the job?

<_<

2. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

I would need more information about the world. Are vampires normal in this universe? If so, it may be part of the job, especially if there's already a vampire department.

If it's not normal, and this is the first one on record or one of few ever heard of, then I would imagine a promotion of some kind, as well as creating a paranormal branch of the gov. for handling such cases. Contrary to Sculler and Moldy, the FBI is not really qualified to handle investigations like these... I would think something in between the MIB and CIA/NSA would be needed. Maybe the VIP (Vampires In Purple). Jokes aside, I do think it would have to be a special branch of the government.

3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Is this a setting where vampires are a known-about thing? And there actually is a Vampire Department? Then it'd probably just be part of the job, I'd think.

If vampires aren't widely acknowledged and this is just one person who's been told "Hey, there are vampires, go kill one" then maybe they get a bonus, yeah. Depending on how dangerous and rare the vampires are, maybe they get to retire early.

Imaginarily likes this.
  4. Imaginarily

The story takes place in The Real World and vampires are definitely not accepted to be real things. Subculture is a perfect hiding place, because some people take the vampire-goth aesthetic very seriously.

Ms. Agent has been debriefed of course, so she knows she's not chasing a fairy tale, but the real thing. Or at least... suspected real thing. This would be one of those top-security cases, so only she and the very-high-ups (including her supervisor, of course) in the FBI know what's going on. Though I don't imagine there'd be a whole department dedicated to finding one guy...

I was thinking about that early retirement idea too. Hrm...

So,

Promotion - to what position tho?
    Possible exclusive department - pooooossibly. I don't even know how many other vampires there are in my own story.
    Early retirement - with what kind of benefit/income/I don't know the proper term here

5. Dr.Meow

I'm still skeptical that the FBI is truly the best agency to handle this investigation, and if it's not going to be a new agency created for it, then possibly a military one. US Army Criminal Investigation Command, or something equivalent. This might be handed to a more black ops agency though, in fact I would bet on it. I highly doubt in a real life scenario that the FBI would even be informed about it. It's not like they're the most air tight, leak proof, top secret organization ever.

First time vampires were brought up, it would be all over CNN the next day, despite how far up the chain it was being handled. CIA comes closer to a more realistic possibility, but even they can squawk, or at least have it leaked somehow. This would be handled by real professionals at keeping secrets, and no one would ever know it happened, and if someone did find out, they'd disappear in 12 hours or less, and no one would ever hear about them ever. Top Secret investigations on this level do not get handed to goofball, by-the-book agencies like the FBI. First it's catagorized in something beyond Top Secret, a status that is known to not exist, even the president would never be informed.

As for a reward, the black ops team that actually did handle this is already well compensated, and they aren't going to worry about someone trying to talk about it or blackmail for money. The members of said ops know they can also disappear just as easily as anyone else. That being said, they'd probably get a promotion if it wasn't a private company, the investigator would probably be given a much higher rank and a cozy desk job that pays a lot more than it's worth. If it was a private organized black ops team, then they'd be charging quite a lot for this operation, and the main team leader would probably get a huge bonus and early retirement, maybe enough to buy a small island. lol

Imaginarily likes this.
  6. Imaginarily

Perfect! Thank you for this. *erases FBI and puts in appropriate military entity*

rktho, malaupp and Dr.Meow like this.
  7. Dr.Meow

No problem. Have fun writing, and I hope it turns out good.

Imaginarily likes this.
  8. Imaginarily

Also @Dr.Meow I hope you don't mind, I pasted your response into the Research part of my Scrivener. With citation, of course.

rktho likes this.
  9. Dr.Meow

Not at all, glad I could help. Might also be a pet peeve of mine that X-files had FBI agents running those cases, then everyone else follows suit whether they realize it or not. Something different would be nice, and I think a lot of people would appreciate that instead of the usual "Glorified cop busts vampire den" that seems to be the thread of every tv show about vampires. lol

Imaginarily likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    6 Gold Bricks ($3,038,400/each brick weighs 12.4 kilos) for the
    turning in of a legitimate Vampire. Fake ones will earn you a
    roll of pennies. :D

Imaginarily likes this.
  11. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

I doubt they would ever suspect a vampire. They'd think it was a vampire impersonator or someone with the M.O of a vampire. but they wouldn't suspect supernatural, They would only conclude it if they themselves saw it and even then theyd look for some rational explanation for it,

12. Imaginarily

Except that the people looking for him have some really good intel from previous encounters.

13. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I'd have a really hard time believing that a vampire exists and that the military chose me to track him down. Even if they showed me all the footage in the world I'd think that 1) I've just lost it and need to self medicate better or 2) a twisted psychological experiment is taking place and for some batshit crazy reason I'm the guinea pig. Maybe the military wouldn't really tell the whole truth to the investigator? Maybe they hired her to investigate while they were spying on her in order to catch the vampire? Finally, maybe part of the story could be her, realising herself that the "criminal" she is tracking down is not human. Just a thought. I like the premise whichever way you put it. Sounds interesting. (But please, don't make the vampire a wimp, for the love of sweet satan :p).

Now, back to your question. I'd ask a shitload of money knowing this could cost me my life, since a vampire is not an enemy to take lightly. They got so many superpower abilities and due to their life span they are much wiser and smarter than humans. Firstly, I'd ask for protection. Any tech they got, no matter the cost (it'd be on them anyway) to protect myself. I'd also ask for cover protection for my family and loved ones, just in case, meaning -> what if the vampire realizes that I'm after him and for some twisted reason decides to torture me and go after them? Someone should be looking after them, even if they are completely unsuspecting. And since attaining a vampire for a nations innovative prize will give this nation tons of power and money I'd think super big. Lifetime retirement. I'd be rich... and maybe have some permission to their secret files, just out of sheer curiosity. :p (Like what happened to J.F.Kennedy or Jimmy Hendrix? For real. What other creatures might there exist? Aliens maybe)? Finally, I'd set a plan in case I die that my family gets handsomely paid, one way or another.

Hope this helps.

Imaginarily likes this.
  14. Malisky

Oh, I almost forgot. I'd ask for the cure to cancer and any other diseases' as well. I'd learn the truth about stuff like renewable energy and the latest technological miracles that get squashed underneath the economical gain for power. But then again... I'd fear that even if I completed successfully my mission and survive the vampire, I'd get assassinated by them anyway so... Yeah! Why trust the military in the first place?

I'd rather befriend the vampire and tell him to give me eternal life and we would vanish in a place far far away and live happily ever after. Literally. :p

Imaginarily likes this.
  15. Imaginarily

:superthink:I shall keep these suggestions for character development™ later. Also, don't you worry — my vampire is not the squishy wimpy type. Weaponized charm? Yes. Not a moping shithead like tweens like, though... *brb barfing*

I think I have a solid idea for why my vampire is being hunted down and how he feels about it... But I guess I need to develop the backstory (or present-story!? :bigeek:) of Military Entity + Their Spy since that's the part of this idea which is just emerging. She'll definitely be a greedy little thing, so money will be in the equation. As far as altruism and curiosity are concerned? I dunno yet.

I got ideas for this too. :whistle:

:write:

Malisky likes this.
  16. Malisky

Good! I miss interesting vampires in a novel.
    Maybe she is ex-military or something. Or someone from the military knows her personally and knows she's the only one who can pull this of.
    I knew you were a logical being the first time I read your post. ;)

Imaginarily likes this.
  17. Imaginarily

You could always hop over to my Workshop entries and see for yourself. :whistle: No critique necessary, but of course feel free if you're so struck. (Also they're OLD excerpts now and I dunno the rules on critiquing really old entries that already have a lot of feedback?)

*giggleblush* Oh stop it, you. :bigoops:

Malisky likes this.
  18. Malisky

Oh! Just got a more interesting idea about the relationship between the investigator and the military. What if the military has already researched about the roots of the vampire and figured that the investigator happens not only be a damn awesome one but also in some way correlated to the vampire. Just a very blurry thought.

Imaginarily likes this.
  19. Imaginarily

I got the military's motivation handled, don't you worry 'bout that. Isn't it a little overdone though, to have someone who is somehow connected be investigating? Also isn't that a conflict of interest?

Malisky likes this.
  20. Malisky

Indeed. I was thinking something like a kryptonite but it sounds kind of cliche, doesn't it? Forget about it. Bad idea.

Imaginarily likes this.
  21. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the idea of vampires being tracked down by a government related facility. Sounds like a mix of fantasy and political/military drama.

Imaginarily likes this.
  22. Ulquiorra9000

Ulquiorra9000 Member

Plot twist... when the vampire is found, he makes a much better offer to the soldier/agent/sleuth who finds him, and the offer is accepted! Vampires have power, knowledge, and time to gather these things... they could make a pretty compelling new offer.

Imaginarily likes this.
  23. Imaginarily

I have thought of this as well :-D

24. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Since this thread's been up for a while and you've gotten plenty of feedback so far, I'm not sure if you're still looking for more feedback. But I just found this thread and it's physically impossible for me not to jump into a discussion about vampires (I may or may not have a unhealthy obsession with them :D). So on to the issue;

One thing I noticed hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, is regarding the vampire in question him/herself. You haven't said anything about what the vampires in your story are like - in terms of their powers, whether or not they're all evil, are they ugly monsters or hunky hotties or something in between, are they immortal, and things like that - this is important because it determines just how difficult and dangerous a job chasing and capturing one would be. Because obviously the more dangerous the job, the higher the perks and the rewards would be expected to be.

Also just how much information does this government/military organization have on vampires in general and this one vampire in particular? Do they have detailed info on this things, so they can accurately assess the risk involved in this mission? Has anyone else been sent after this vampire before and failed (read: 'was killed') and now your spy has to do the job or is she the first person chosen for this mission?

And finally, just how dangerous is this particular vampire? (on a scale of 1 t 10, one being Edward 'veggie vamp' Cullen and 10 being Angelus) Is he an old vamp or a young one. Is the government/military after him cause he's evil or do they have other (possibly nefarious) motivations? or a mix of both? Is you spy aware of said motivations?

Am I asking way too many questions?:p

Imaginarily likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    No one has mentioned the CDC yet (Centers for Disease Control)? At its heart, vampirism (usually) looks like a contagious, blood-borne condition that presents a mix of advantages and disadvantages to the affected individual. Straight-up disease control territory right there.

Also, you might (or might not, if you're worried about accidental plagiarism/it's already been done syndromes) check out Charles Stross's Laundry Files series. They deal with magic as a real, quantifiable effect of certain advanced mathematics, being handled by various way, way, way above Top Secret agencies around the world. One of them, The Nightmare Stacks, deals with an outbreak of vampirism.

Imaginarily likes this.