1. Leshierian

Leshierian New Member

What's the best way to have two characters meet, without it seeming forced?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Leshierian, Aug 23, 2019.

This is for realistic fiction.
    Neither of them have any friends, both male, fourteen or fifteen.
    One of them perceives the world in a child-like way, things that aren't that complicated are hard to understand, things that seem a bit frightening are terrifying.
    The other has a lack of emotion, he will use people for his own personal gain, then never talk to them again.
    They both go to the same high school.
    One has a bad relationship with his parents, by bad I mean, his mom his horrible and his bad works night shifts.
    The other has a great relationship with his mom. His mom and dad has a good relationship. But, his dad isn't allowed to live with them anymore though.
    (Sorry if my English is bad) (This is also my first time posting)

2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

They are going to the same school, right? Then how about them meeting there?
    Maybe, I don't understand your question in depth. Would you care to explain further? What do you mean when you say "forced"?

3. Gallogladh

Gallogladh Member

Welcome to the forum, Leshierian :)

Why couldn't they meet there? Or at a place to do with it, such as outside waiting for a bus? Maybe their parents could start talking, and they strike up a chat on the periphery?

4. Leshierian

Leshierian New Member

Their not the kind of people to talk to other people, if they're in the same room, even if no one else was in the room other then those two, they still wouldn't talk to each other. I feel like it would have to happen outside of school for either of them to not see it as a bad thing.... I guess, the "psychopathic" one could try and use the other one in a way.... or something like that. I just don't think he would do that.

5. Malisky

Oh, I see. I've got some ideas but I got to do something first. I'll be right back. Until then, why don't you go on and summarise for me anything that has to do with your story. Character profiles, plot, why you want to write this story, influences, anything could help.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Have them meet in detention. Oldest trick in the book.

NiallRoach likes this.
  7. Malisky

Anyhow, I'm back. Some ideas:

1) If I'm getting this right, you mean blackmail. You can have MC2 witness something MC1 does, which is embarrassing or down-right illegal. A secret of MC1, which he would dearly like to keep. What would MC2 want out of MC1 though?

To break this down, there are 2 basic components directing one's actions in fiction. Desire and need. So, you have got to think, what does MC2 desires and needs the help of MC1 to get it and apart from the desire (which can often be misleading) what is his need? For example, MC2 might desire good math grades and get MC1 to break into the teachers office to steal the solutions. Why does MC2 though, goes as far as to blackmail MC1 to steal the solutions? Because, deep down inside, he needs validation from his father. He truly believes that when he gets his good math grades to his father, his father will change the way he perceives him and will start treating him better. It's layers upon layers that drive the MC's true intentions. Sometimes, the MC doesn't even know his needs and through his driving desires, as the story unfolds, he gets to counter-react and reflect, thus slowly starts to realise his needs. Since you have 2 MC's, you should think of MC1's desires and needs equally. It's a pretty interesting dynamic you've got between your 2 MC's since they are so different. Conflict is a major driving force for drama. They've got tons of things to learn from each other and evolve throughout the story.

2) A common cause. A teacher made them co-operate for an assignment.

3) Detention and boredom...

4) As they were getting back from school they came across a stabbed woman that mumbled a few things before she died to them and so the adventure began!

5)
    His dad was caught cheating by his mom with MC2's mon and unbeknownst to MC1 (that's why he isn't allowed to live with them), MC2 wants to take revenge by making his life miserable. When this secret gets revealed, man will you have a peak to your story. Just thought of that. :D

Let's make things even more dramatic. :supercheeky:

MC1's father is in jail, because MC2's father who is a security guard, caught him trying to steal or whatever.

I hope I provided you with some brainteasers. Have fun!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  8. Leshierian

Leshierian New Member

I'll call the "psychopathic" one L, and the Innocent one C.
    Their families live very different lifestyles. L's family take lots of vacations, they never sit down for family meals, they spend most of their time apart. L's mom will treat him like he's stupid or like he's waste of her time and money, she will lock him in the basement for not behaving.
    In the basement he studies and plans. He will usually bribe his mom to get out. I have a feeling you're wondering what he plans and what he bribes his mom with. I'm just going to say he's planning something for the school, something horrifying. And he bribes his mom with things.. that's all I'm going to say....

C's mom spends a lot of time with him. He only recently started going to school. He's never been home alone, at least that he can remember.
    His dad isn't in jail, his dad isn't allowed over because of him. When his dad is around things usually get bad.
    I'm going to talk about how he acts in school, It's important.
    He shuts down a school. He acts the opposite. He glares at everyone, never talks, keeps his head down.
    One more really important thing, C has purple hair and he loves it.
    I don't know.. I think, I might have a scenario. I'm going to see how it would work out.

9. Vellanney

Vellanney Member

I would think of a situation that would bring them into the same room or force them to communicate with each other. If this is headed towards romance or just friendship, I would say have them become acquaintances first, maybe open each others views on different things. They could later become friends that rely and help each other. Break the pure one a little and have the other one fix him back up. It's a common plot but can be changed in many different ways.

10. Katibel

Katibel Member

Is L planning a school shooting or something? That could be a way to bring them together.

L leaves his journal somewhere by accident and C finds it, discovering how screwed up L is and feeling compassion. Due to feeling bad, he returns the journal and asks questions or somehow makes L feel accepted despite his bad motives.

Or, alternatively, could have L actually attempt to carry out some sort of heinous act and C finds out / is a victim in it and talks him out of it.

C could even discover L practicing for his great revenge in private and get curious, asking about what he's doing. Then maybe L lies, saying he's vandalizing, and the two go off vandalizing together, which caters to both their needs?

Things of that nature.

Frankly, I feel like two characters like these would need to be forced to interact.

11. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Manage your coincidences. If the significance of each character in the story is due to them meeting, then it isn't a coincidence for them to meet; the reason why their story is being told is because they will later meet. If they have a common aim they are also likely to meet when pursing it. Coincidences are implausible when there are too many random things that have to happen without good character motives to back them up. Tbe meeting should optimally seem inevitable, though you probably do have an allowance for coincidences. Just so long as there are not an implausible number of them.

12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Have them be siblings, that way it would be odd if they hadn't met at this point.

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The BEST way is an intergalactic teleportation error.

They could also be trying to catch the same stray kitten. They team up but it keeps evading them for a long time until one day after they have their usual separation one of them finds and captures the kitten and uses that as leverage to come back to the other and gives them the kitten as a gift and everyone's hearts melt.... and then they find themselves on another planet due to a random intergalactic teleportation error.

14. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Do you have a theme yet? If so, it's always interesting and symbolic to have characters meet in a way that reflects the theme of the story.