Short Story Whats the best way to plant an idea in your reader through a short story

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by johngalt1991, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

There are an infinity of different ways to make an emotional connection with the main character of a story. (Not all stories have a "hero".) I think that you need a more specific question here.

Are you asking if a story will have more emotional impact if it's in first person or third person? Or are you talking about the narrator being a character that could be seen as secondary, like Watson for the Sherlock Holmes stories or Nick for The Great Gatsby? Either way, I'd say that it depends on the story. But anything along the lines of a narrator saying, "Joe walked bravely down the back streets, drinking a COKE, flexing his glistening caffeine-bolstered muscles, girls glancing admiringly at him as he drank his COKE" is not going to work.

I'm confused by the dialogue question - it sounds like you think that dialogue is an unusual, slightly exotic thing to have in a story. Almost all stories have dialogue - it's _not_ having it that's unusual and slightly exotic.

Again, asking for "emotional truths" is much too large a question.

ChickenFreak

2. ChickenFreak

I wanna know more about the story! I still have only the faintest of clues as to what this whole discussion is about. Trish, can you describe it a little more, or would that violate whatever rule the original story violated? Was it just pure advertising, a modern (and apparently R-rated?) version of the "Oh, Auntie Em, how _will_ I ever keep my husband if I can't make flaky pie crust?" type of advertising story?

ChickenFreak

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Nope, like I said in my first post on this thread he's trying to write a story that "persuades" women to believe that online "modeling" (feel good word for stripping) is better and safer than real stripping for money and can make you rich and happy. I respectfully disagree with the premise. There are women who will do it and women who won't and I don't think any amount of brainwashingly beautiful story is going to change that. Just my opinion of course.

4. ChickenFreak

Heh. And I thought the Coke versus Pepsi story was unrealistic. That one, yes, whole new realms of Not Going To Happen.

ChickenFreak

5. MRD

MRD New Member

All you have to do is create realistic characters, characters that you and your readers can empathize with.

People aren't interested in characters that have no life in them.

6. flipflop

flipflop New Member

seriously i read the original post and i thought it was written by an advertising department. I don't see this working because i don't believe you are passionate about writing. i believe you have a goal to achieve and that you thought you could just write a story just like that. This will not work. If this is true then i suggest you hire someone to write something for you. It could take years to get that story up to the level you want. If I'm wrong about the advertising part then sorry its just my opinion.