Whats the point of a pen-name if....

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by J.T. Woody, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

When I get published, I think I'll call myself Max Power.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Okay Homer.

Cdn Writer and Naomasa298 like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Call me crazy, but I like seeing my name in print. I don't care if anyone else has the same name or how hard or easy it is to spell or pronounce. I think if you write the right thing, people will learn your name. I've published hard and serious news stories, personal essays and fiction. These types of writing are vastly different, but everything is under my real name. And if I ever sell my murder mystery novel or a zombie story, that, too, will be under my name. I stand by my writing and I want the credit for it. Personally, I've always thought the idea of a pen name is a little silly. I understand that people have their reasons. It's just giving up a lot to take your name off the book or whatever you're writing, IMO.

4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

My mom has been mistakenly called Marie Antoinette once or twice because the first and last names are just similar enough.

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  5. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I can understand that deadrats. My legal name has no meaning for me or my parents/family. I'd feel more detached using my legal name. Even my legal last name is more a farce than anything since my father is a bastard. He even wants to change his last name and has asked me to use his "true" last name as a penname but I feel uncomfortable with that a little since there could be drama involved with that (it's a very uncommon).

I have chosen to go by names that involve family names though, or my middle name, or something like that. Although my most recent pen name is pretty theatrical but it's almost like claiming an identity for me. With a legal name as common and unimportant as mine it doesn't offer anything about who I am. I'm not alone in thinking that either. I've had people tell me I don't match my name. This new theatrical name let's me feel like I'm being a bit unapologetic about what interests me and who I am. I grew up in a very religious household and the things that I was interested in were not considered appropriate. So it's a nice feeling.

Cdn Writer likes this.