1. CalliopeCalls

CalliopeCalls New Member

Story Starter Exercise

Discussion in 'Word games' started by CalliopeCalls, Apr 4, 2010.

Hey everyone! This is always a fun exercise for me when I need inspiration for a plot: I'll give you guys a line with a couple of blanks, and you fill in the blanks and write the first paragraph of a story with it. Very elementary, but fun and imaginative. I'm a sucker for creative writing games.

"As pleased as I was by the ______, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I was invited to the ______."

Have at it! :)

(Don't forget to supply a new line for the next person. If the previous user forgot to provide a line, use the most recently posted one)

2. NathanBrazil

NathanBrazil New Member

As pleased as I was by the dragon, this wasn't what I had in mind when I was invited to the circus.

While playing among the stones and _____ , she uncovered a frozen _____.

(My first try. Is this the basic idea?)

3. CalliopeCalls

CalliopeCalls New Member

Haha, well, I actually kind of wanted everyone to start a different story with the same line... Cogito edited it to have people write a new sentence each time... which works also. Oh well. Do whatever you like, use mine or anybody else's :)

4. lucifer1101

lucifer1101 New Member

While playing among the stones and grass , she uncovered a frozen egg.

When he walked across the _____, the men in white _____ ___ _____.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When he walked across the stars, the men in white reset the timeline. They believed themselves gods, these mortals who had cracked the code of Chronos. But the star walker's consciousness transcended linear time, and he was immediately aware of the meddling. These would-be gods had upset the delicate balance of causality, and quiet devastation spread outward from their world at the speed of light.

Next: Some would call it ________, but the law calls it ________ ________ ______.

6. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Some would call it blasphemy, but the law calls it the path to rehabilitation. They started administering the drug to prisoners on April 27, 2025. Shortly thereafter, the side effects became evident in the test subjects.

My_______ is merely a means to an end. A ____________, if you will.

7. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

My weapon is merely a means to an end. A utensil, if you will. I do not engage in something so base as "Combat" when I remove my client's appendages. I am simply demonstrating to them the advantages of no longer being alive. It's a public service, you know.

I haven't ___________ __ ________ for ages. Not since that last ________.

8. NathanBrazil

NathanBrazil New Member

I haven’t taken a bath for ages. Not since the last eclipse. The shimmering Narl dipped her long beak in the lake and sprayed the water skyward. She shivered as it rained down upon her oily body. Slithering onto the island, this creature, birthed from pale moonlight and dying magma, feeds on birds' eggs and unguarded kittens.

When she ordered a mechanical _________, she had no idea she would receive a magical ________.

9. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    When she ordered a mechanical toothbrush, she had no idea she would receive a magical one. Neither would molly have ever guessed that elves had such interest in dental hygiene.

"You got the____________?" He snarled.

I breathed heavily into the phone before saying, "________ ____________ _____________?"

10. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    "You got the Merchandise?" He snarled.

I breathed heavily into the phone before saying, "Where's the video?"

"same place same time same, or i start posting the video on the web" the phone went dead.

i walked along to the corner of my scummy urban block five minutes before seven pm, i didnt want to be late as a deal like this didn't come around very often, you had to know the right people - and know people who know the right people. Wearing a tan leather coat that reached my ankles and a well worn wide brim hat to shade my face i leant against the mail box and tapped twice, then once, then twice again. From the shadowy brick wall of Dhandi's Florists came the sound of a match being struck, a flame followed by the small red glow of a cigar. materialising from the shadow came a thin white man wearing a 1920's style purple suit with black pin stripes and a hat to match.

"show me" he dared. Without hesitation i moved my arm under my coat, from under which i drew my weapon level with my waist so he could see, but not anyone who shouldn't. his eyes flick down then back up.

"show me first" i returned if but curtly. he drew an identical weapon; six shooting plastic revolver capgun complete with little orange cap on the end of the barrel. He fired but only a plastic clack sounded - it wasnt even loaded.

"we really need to get girlfreinds" i told him as i passed him a prerelease copy of the latest X-man Universe comic.

"they would just cramp our style" he replied as he threw over a pirate copy of Iron Man 2.

---

The _____ ______ crunched under my feet as i walked though the _____. "Where the bloody hell is that _____"

11. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

The shattered bones crunched under my feet as I walked through the graveyard. "Where the bloody hell is that sword?"

See, the thing that they don't tell you about summoned skeletons is that they don't kindly hand back whatever weapon you gave them before the spell wears off. For small time necromancers it wasn't such a big deal but when you had the risen corpses of an entire township doing your bidding, keeping a running total on who was wielding what became somewhat of a chore. It didn't bother me most of the time, but that sword was my favourite.

I won it in a bet with a travelling exorcist. It was "I bet I can kill you before you can kill me, mister holy roller."

Good times, good times.

---

You see that ________ _________ over there? It's made almost entirely out of _______

12. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    you see that burning house over there? it made almost entirely out of pine. And i would know, because i live there. Well, lived there. Ex wives are intersting creatures and never fail to amaze me at what lengths they will go to to get even; one day she wants me to sell the house and give her 50 percent of the profit. the next she burns it to the ground because my lawyer said that she could only get the money if it was from the insurance company - prenump you see.

im considering visiting her soon, and showing her pictures of the outside world.

---

She stared over the edge of the ____, the sight made her stomach churn. She had to make a decision sooner rather than later. Grabbing her ____ and her ____ she took a deep breath and...

13. Meliha

Meliha New Member

She stared over the edge of the cliff, the sight made her stomach churn. She had to make a decision sooner rather than later. Grabbing her umbrella and her wand she took a deep breath and jumped. Her eyes closed, her heart pounding, her breath gone. As gravity resisted her; she made her way to the clouds. "I'm going up!" she cheered, leaving her pursuer behind. There he was; dumbfounded on the egde of the cliff, so close to his prize yet so far away. But her the joy was soon to be departed, when she ralised she forgot to worry about how to stop going up and make a landing. :) - not my best work!

A suggestion was made for a wartime type of _________ - melt some ______ then let it cool. Add some _______, and you have someting that ______ ______ _______...

14. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

A suggestion was made for a wartime type of abstract - melt some idealisation, then let it cool. Add some dissestablishmentarianism and you have something that doesn't make sense.

The board room remained silent for some time, the CEO observing the new recruit with a certain degree of skepticism.

"Yes," He began slowly, "But where do you intend on acquiring a sufficient amount of omnipotence to counteract the spike in optimism cause by the gyroscopic fluctuations of self-actualisation and psychokinesis?"

"Not to mention the sheer magnitude of purple you'll need to implement on the tangent theorem module in order to maintain safe levels of fluoroscopic dissonance in accordance with the emancipatory stealth and bravery guidelines." Intoned the chief infector.

"I'm sorry, Cedric but I really don't believe you've thought this through. We'll get back to this tomorrow, please have a more organised report by then."

---

Not entirely sure what you had in mind when you wrote that opening line, so I decided to cheat =P

---

It's not a _______ _______, I swear. I know what it looks like, but it's actually a ______ ______.

15. Meliha

Meliha New Member

:D ... that is great! What do you mean you cheated? I was going for food or something like that... so for example stake, melt wax, add coulour you get something that you shouldn't eat. He read the instructions and wondered what was the use... But I love your idea. Well done!

It's not a big deal, I swear. I know what it looks like, but it's actually a big spot. It looks ugly and I know you wish it were not there, but calm yourself down; I promise it will not kill you." She gave him a puzzled look and said

"You make it sound like you think I'm afraid of dying! You just don't understand, do you?..."

"Look, it's not a tumor."

"Who said anything about tumor?"

"Isn't that why you screamed?"

"No! I screamed to see what I will hear as soon as someone sees this monster invading my face."

"Now you are just being dramatic." He smiled.

"Get out! Get out right now! I hate you!"

--- I donno! :redface:

Introvert yet longing _______ ________ ________ she went against her upbringing and ____________ ...

16. Prometheus21

Prometheus21 New Member

Introvet, yet longing for human contact, she went against her upbringing and waved.

He waved back from outside, across the street

Her heart fluttered for a brief moment in her chest, and then came the doubts.

What if he doesn't like me?

What if he doesn't speak English?

What if I stutter or can't talk to him?

How do I look?

As he crossed the road that separated them, she reached into her purse and frantically began rummaging for her makeup. She opened the round compact that she found and dabbed a quick application of lipstick on her previously naked lips.

It's ok. You aren't the only one in here. He must have noticed you for a reason.

Her thoughts continued to race as he entered the diner and walked down the aisle toward where she sat. Her breathing quickened until she felt like she had just run for miles without stopping.

He smiled.

He opened his mouth to speak.

Her heart froze. Her breathing stopped, and she waited with tingling ears to hear those first, beautiful words, come from that immacculately handsome man.

"Hi."

"Pity about __________. Wish I could've been there to see it. Imagine ________ _________ _____ __ _____________."

17. Three

Three New Member

Pity about the murder. Wish I could've been there to see it. Imagine Joshua Reynolds and me, having a gay old time at it. Honestly, I wish you people would let me know where the next one will be. I created a Facebook account for precisely this reason, you know.

Haven't you ever _______ __ _____ ? Honestly, it's __ _______ ______ when you're bored.

18. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

Haven't you ever microwaved a leprechaun? Honestly, it's a threat for when you're bored. Especially when they beg you to not turn the knob, which you do of course.. The mousy screams help brighten your day.

Can you imagine _______ _______ being _______? ___________ all over the world cheer.

19. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Can you imagine Tack Johnson being rational? People all over the world would cheer.

"Yeah, but that's like expecting the pop-musicians to demonstrate serious talent - it just doesn't work like that. Tack's not famous for being an intelligent, well thought out and professional legal representative; he's famous because he jumps up and down foaming at the mouth screaming nonsense. If he had two brain cells to rub together, no-one would know about him, so no-one would cheer."

"Geez, way to ruin my attempt to make fun of someone."

"Sorry, but it's the only way you'll learn."

Those who know who I'm talking about, know. Those who don't are better off.

I swear, it _______ by itself - I didn't do ANYTHING. One second it was ________, then suddenly, ________! It's not my fault!

20. Writer_of_Wrongs

Writer_of_Wrongs New Member

"I swear, it gave birth by itself - I didn't do ANYTHING. One second it was eating everything in sight, then suddenly, BAM! It's not my fault! I mean, in an instant, there were cats flying all over hell's half acre! I knew it was fat for a reason, and i told you, but NO, you never believed me!"

"Whats that red spot on the table?! You let the goddamn cat give birth on MY F****** CHERRY TABLE?!"

"...maybe...?"

The ________ did _______ in a _______ fashion that was ________ to the _______