1. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Recent book you read and disliked

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by marina, Oct 18, 2008.

Any book you read lately and disliked? It's not like it's the worst book you've ever read, but it's pretty crappy.

Here's mine: Rumors by Anna Godbersen

Check out this paragraph on p. 188:
    Nice alliteration at the end though, lol.

2. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Ok... before I reply *shuffles around uncomfortably* um... why did you read it?

Really: I do want to know! yours in Chaos, Scarlett

3. marina

the embarrassing truth: You should see the pretty, pretty red dress on the cover.

[​IMG]

4. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

ROFL! Well, hey--you get tons of credit for an honest answer.

I recently read The Galaxies of the Local Group by Sidney van den Bergh and did not enjoy it at all; however, I was not expecting to enjoy it. I was looking something up.

I suspect I will read this book again and again, and not enjoy it each time. However, that won't keep me from reading it. It's really an excellent book. xoxo :)

Good lord... that's unspeakably horrible writing. It's like... well... I can't even think of words to say how bad it is. Only someone who's trying to be bad--and can write well--can be worse than that.

5. Suomyno

Suomyno Member

The Lovely Bones was the most recent that I've read and disliked, though it's been a while since I've read it. Sorry to the fans, and I know I'll be bashed yet again for not liking it, but I really didn't get the appeal.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I can understand that. I enjoyed The Lovely Bones, but it was despite the fact that I don't buy into a lot of the philosophy/religion the story is rooted in. The book was not at all what I expected it to be. For me, that was refreshing, but it could as well have been disappointing.

7. Farseer

Farseer New Member

Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover. I was simply disappointed by the severe lack of action in a book with Mace Windu on the cover, and the terrible descriptions of the relationship between Jedi and the Force, and musings on the Force in general; not terrible because I disagree, but because of the way they were written.

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Hmm...I liked Shatterpoint.

Although I read it years ago and don't remember much.

9. Farseer

Farseer New Member

To each their own. If you enjoyed it, then good on you. :)

10. Samilynn

Samilynn New Member

I know i'll be upsetting some people by saying this, but... i didn't relaly care for Twilight. The entire series, really. I found most of the characters pretty shallow... there wasn't much depth to them. I can see why some people would like it... Edward's pretty much perfect. But he's way overprotective. Jacob was really the only character i liked. And the plot was pretty intriguing, but the characters kind of killed the story. In my opinion, anyway.

11. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Well, recently I tried Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf but I doubt I made it past fifty pages before putting it down. I don't know if it was just too dense for my taste or if it was his message that I didn't much care for, but something made it a chore to keep going. Which is a shame, since I really liked some of his short stories (Faldum, anyone?).

Other than that, I tend to look into books before I read them and if I don't like them I don't usually try to stick it out.

12. marina

I was given advice that if I'm not enjoying a book after reading 50 pages of it, to stop reading it. I actually won't continue reading if I'm not enjoying it after 25 pages. There are a lot of crappy books out there. I'm glad I almost never buy them--we have the most awesome library system in my county.

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

"The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. I mean the story is interesting and all, but, I don't know I just can't get all that into it. I will finish it because: a) It's Kafka, b) It's a classic, so maybe I can get a decent conversation out of it, c) I want to see what happens at the end, and d) It's Kafka. The book isn't bad, but it doesn't hold me for very long, so I read it part-by-part. Maybe it's the translation.

14. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

A book I recently read is "The Dreaming Void" by Peter F. Hamilton. I disliked it cause it started off with an infodump prologue and then when I read it I felt like I was missing something. He wrote about his world and it was like he knows the mechanics, but he isn't allowing me to know the mechanics of this world. And it also felt like this wasn't the first book of a trilogy, it feels like a book in the middle of some series. This was not a good story, at least to me.

15. The Absurd Dimension

The Absurd Dimension New Member

Animal Farm by George Orwell. In my opinion, it is overrated. The moral and metaphors behind the story are alright but the prose its self is very subpar, it just sounds far too forced and downright boring at some parts.

Naked Lunch by Willam S. Burroughs. Don't waste your time, its nothing but an incompreshensible tangle of random words splattered across the pages. The whole fact that the book is a book your NOT supposed to understand to me and is entirely ludicrious. Whats the point of reading something that has no tangibilty? I mean, I like the whole shifting perspective and shifting time thing a lot when done by other authors. It's actually a really intersting style when the author gives the reader at least SOME idea of what's going on. Burroughs doesnt do that at all. It's not "art", it's garbage. Abstract art that has no meaning shouldn't be considered art at all.

16. architectus

architectus Banned

I will probably get a lot of what the hells from this, but Pyramids, by Terry Prachette.

It is well written. The style is a lot like Douglas Adams. At least it reminds me of the humor and style of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Matter of fact the humor, or over all feeling the book had is the only reason I finished it. The story bored me. I didn't give a crap about the characters or what happened to them. The dead kind was the coolest character and he played a small role.

---

Dance of Death, by Douglas Preston. I read about half of it trying to like it, but I just didn't. I guess I don't much care for the whole detective thing. I might try another one of his books if I know a detective is not one of the MCs.

---

Golden Compass: I like the story idea, and I enjoyed the movie, but I couldn't get intot he book. I really wanted to enjoy it.

==

Intersting enough, I did enjoy Flowers in the Attic, which I just read before Pyramids.

17. architectus

architectus Banned

Garmar,

That is the only reason I have not read a lot of King's work. Most of his books would be better if he shortened them by 150-200 pages.

I thought he did well with Cell. The pacing was nice.

Sometimes King really duds on endings, IT, blekh. And IT was a good book, to bad the ending was lame.

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I also dislike his needless use of large words. Not just a little here and there; these things are legion. Here's one that stuck in my head, just because it made me laugh at how many words he tried to cram into one sentence.

Without conscious intervention, the ancillary thought routines operating inside Aaron's macrocellular clusters animated his ocular zoom.

Taken from page 17 of my advance reading copy (Mom works at the local library, so we get plenty of books before their official release, and we don't have to pay a thing :D). I understand what he's saying, but it's really annoying. It's like he's trying to show off how big of a vocabulary he has. I mean, you could say something like that in a way anybody could understand, no problem... Whatever. I'm thinking I'll get around to finishing this book someday... just not anytime soon.

19. Loli

Loli New Member

Rabbit, Run by Updike.

Hated it, the character, the plot, everything.

20. kehl

kehl New Member

American Skin by Don De Grazia. The novel is a coming-of-age tale about a teen who's parents end up in a jail for selling drugs, and his younger sister is taken into state care. The book is essentially his journey to locate his sister, all the while the main character ends up joining a group of young anti-nazi skinheads which eventually leads to jail, and then the army etc...

Your basic C.O.A story, with excellent writing and great story telling.

21. Tartuffe James

Tartuffe James New Member

I read a biography on Isaac Newton by James Gleick recently which I wasn't too impressed with. It wasn't awful just could've been much better.

22. Chibi

Chibi New Member

The Clique.
    To be honest, I didn't finish it. I normally advoid these types of books, but my sister completely recomended it. [I can't refuse her puppy dog eyes. T.T] Sadly, I was instantly turned of by Massie's shallowness when I began reading it and gave up on it. However, if someone can convinces me that it turn into some "super-special-awesome", I might reconsiderate.

23. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

This Lullabye by Sarah Dessen. It kept repeating itself over and over again and led up to nothing. It seemed like such a good book, by the plot, (girl who doesn't believe in love until she meets...)
    And it just looked appealing. But it was sooo boring. It was very predictable. Honestly I wish I would have stopped reading it from the moment she broke up with Dexter...Gah.

I was really surprised because S.D is a brilliant teen author.

24. marina

I really didn't like Dessen's new book, Along for the Ride. Extremely boring, and it reads completely like it's been written by an adult. She has 3 or 4 books that I loved, though.

25. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

I really enjoyed:

Dreamland
    Just Listen
    Truth about Forever

Dreamland was so touching. I cried so much though. I absolutely loved it. She says her favorite book that she's written.