1. Orcalot

Orcalot Member

What's your current novel/story about?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Orcalot, Sep 6, 2011.

I'm just wondering what other writers are writing about. :)

2. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

I am developing a story about Ancient Egypt. I'm still in the planning process, but I'm going all out with character profiles, physical profiles and in depth interpersonal connections. JOY! lol.

What about you?

3. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

A YA about a girl that lives with her alcoholic mother and the life she leads in a small town where everyone knows your business. lol

4. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

The human experience, of course.

5. Forceflow

Forceflow New Member

Wow, mine seems miles less serious compared to yours.
    Mines about Highly intelligent penguins and a few other species, fighting against the martian/human alliance.
    See, Dead serious!

6. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

About a rich kid who finally gets a well over-due kick in the butt from life.

7. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

My main short-story-in-progress is about ghosts, something I've never written about before. Dead things, yes. Ghosts, never. It's a challenge. :)

8. Trip

Trip New Member

A young boy trying (and failing) to understand death, but mostly about me trying to create a richly-textured fantasy setting in just a couple of thousand words.

9. Orcalot

Orcalot Member

Yeah, forgot to say what my own was about! I'm trying to write a novel that's basically about the human ego. It's set in a marine theme park. My main character is a killer whale trainer who hates her boss and is hugely conflicted over the job itself. That's the basic story. But the super-ambitious-mad-as-a-brush writer in me wants to write from the whale's perspective also (anthropomorphic? yes) and weave this into the story. I'm not new to writing, but I'm new to novel writing, and it's just taken me over completely. I've had chats with my main character while in the bath! :D

10. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

A slightly watchmen/Nolan's batman inspired story about realistic superheroes. At least I think this will be my new project. I haven't completely decided yet.

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Technically I'm working on three projects right now.

The first is High School without the drama. Or basically a bunch of kids sitting around doing nothing.

The second is technically a fantasy epic, except the setting is more like the late 1800s of our world. Long story short, its about the Crown Prince of an Empire dealing with issues, large and small, political and personal.

The third is about some older teens (so about 17-ish) who survive the apocalypse, get frozen in a giant ice cube, wake up thousands of years later, and have to duke it out in the new world.

12. another wasted day

another wasted day Member

I haven't really started it yet but I think it's going to be about a modern British royal family, somewhat similar to the real one but not exactly.

13. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I've a few in the works, but too little time to write and complete theme. These two I've dwelled on the most. I have no idea what I think I'll end up saying with them, but here's a general idea.
    Reverie - A science fiction story about college and life thereafter - who are you?
    Final Haven - A fantasy story about peace of mind, life, death, the universe, and everything. It all boils down to this: "Don't Panic". Maybe it will be a satire with a randomly chosen number, say, 42. Bottom line is, it'll be completely original.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I especially like that last one, sounds intriguing! :)

15. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

YA dystopian romance that takes place in a future where a select few individuals are given drugs that give them everlasting life and youth as well as lifelong grants that allow them to live lavishly.

16. Metus

Metus New Member

My book/thing (I don't know how long or complex it will end up being) is set in a medieval alternate universe. Basically, fairly wealthy young man/boy training to be a Scribe for the church has his hopes for the future marred when his father contracts a potentially fatal illness. He is forced to come out of his very thick shell in search of an ancient, lost relic of healing (which, spoiler, does not actually exist, as there is no actual magic in this gritty universe.) Along the way, he meets some complex characters, and is pursued by a church Marshal with a shady and tearful past who is hunting one of the members of the boy's party (and by extension, the boy and all the other people the "witch" has "bewitched.") in an effort to protect the relic from the wicked and secure it for the church and the people. Political intrigue and mystery will follow, as there are interwoven sub-stories for all characters. The basic theme is that, rather than counting on magic and pre-ordained destiny, human will and a tenacious desire to create a better future are all you really need.

What would really make it interesting is that the shady witch-hunter is an antagonist, but not really an evil one. I'm really not including black and white characters. There will be two main groups, and which one is actually good and which one is actually bad will vary depending on the reader's values.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Im working on like 5 projects right now... yeah, it's alittle much. I know. Im not writing all of them at one time, some are planned. 3 of them im currently working on writing wise.

The First one is a fantasy about a fictional world named Terra, and focuses on a group of Heroes who goes through plenty of hardships while fighting off massive waves of enemies who try to devastate what's still standing in Terra. It focuses on the story about a boy who is sent on a journey by his parents as he offers to fight for Terra, as he is one out of the few thousand humans left in existence. (Yeah, this isn't your typical fantasy story.)

The second one is another fantasy, about a 17 year-old boy named Phoenix who lives a double life and soon discovers his home is gone when he comes home to a destroyed Olympus .. He soon becomes friends with a girl named Goldenfire (Real name is Amber) as they try to hunt down the beings responsible for massacre and while the journey continues, they distracted from other threats.

The third one is a sci-fi about a lone Supersoldier who loses her memory as she fights through a armada of beings known for taking over the galaxy and the ones who caused the citizens to suffer. She used to be apart of the government who was soon taken over after she went on a mission. I like to call this character "Subject 14". I was inspired by Halo, but i wanted to make it as original as possible, unlike Crysis which blandly rips it off to such a big degree.

Yeah, so those are the main ones im working on. The other two i still have yet to start. :)

18. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

That sounds so cool! So does the rest of your story, but just this concept of "whoops, magic doesn't actually exist here!" in a fantasy story is really interesting.

My main project is about a small seaside town in the 1940s, that becomes the heart of a sort of invasion of alien parasites. It's based loosely on the legends of Star People, who are supposedly higher beings born into human bodies, who will bring about some kind of apocalypse if the human race doesn't straighten up and stop screwing up the environment. The protagonists are two young schoolboys attending the prestigious boarding school on the outskirts of town - one of the boys is a "star person" (for now I'm calling them "Watchers"), and the other is just a mousy kid who gets tangled up in this whole mess.

That's the super condensed version of it, anyway. It's not quite as exciting as Fullmetal Xeno's scifi, but I really like what I have planned out for it so far.

Then there's a side project I'm working on, just for funsies, about a hitwoman and an underaged prostitute in 1970s NYC. It's more a slice-of-life romance than anything, which I guess makes it a little screwy. But I really like the characters, both writing and drawing them. '70s fashion is fun.

19. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

3 young guys gifted with psychic abilities run their own business where they use their abilities to help people. They are captured by a venerable organization of evil psychics who want to use them to illiminate all the 'ordinaries' so that the higher race(the psychics) can continue.

20. SugarRos

SugarRos New Member

A YA novel (the first of a series!) about a girl who is working on a bounty hunter ship in the far future. It deals with futuristic human/alien slavery and, of course, loooove. :love:

21. Ashecroft

Ashecroft New Member

I'm currently working on a fantasy novel, where the lead character is the 14th in a line of a species that is one of the single-most important aspects to their world. Adopted by the Guardian of Life and raised, eventually trained by his eldest adoptive sister in hand-to-hand combat.

Due to him being born of fire, he has a natural affinity to controlling it, and is even magically immune to it's effects

The majority of the story involves him joining up with a group of mortals (while he himself isnt immortal, his species are considered so) and helping them fight against a human kingdom that threatens the continent, unaware that a darker evil lies within that kingdom's walls.

22. Not the Admin

Not the Admin Banned

Project:S: A young man's brother has committed suicide under his name, so now he is officially dead. Without a home or job, he hitchhikes with no destination in mind. He winds up in a small town in Utah, where his questions are answered and the secrets of Lenore are revealed.

Project:E: Three teenagers of Lansdown, USA, discover an amazing machine in the basement of an old and abandoned house that allows them to travel through time. While uncovering the secrets of the creators of the machine, they also uncover a terrible threat. They take it upon themselves to do whatever it takes to stop their enemy from changing the timeline.

Roughly, those are my ideas. :I

23. Orcalot

Orcalot Member

Wow, so many fantastic ideas. I'm so glad I popped the question. Have to take my hat off to the ones with two and three projects on the go at the same time! I think it was Forceflow above who mentioned a story with "Highly intelligent penguins" Oh man I LOVE that! The rise of the planet of the penguins. Or the penguin from Wallace & Grommit taking over the world. Love it. Thanks to all those who answered. xx

24. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I'm working on two. My main focus is a fantasy novel about gods who abandoned the world they created and left their pet dragons untamed to traverse the world. The story is about a group of thieves who bring justice to the poor and small villages, because their ties with the bigger kingdoms were completely cut off because of the appearance of dragons making trade dangerous. The other one isn't actually a novel, but a self help book.

25. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Great thread.

I'm kind of working on a long short story/novella.

The main character is a woman who has lived most of her 34 years in the same house. It deals with memories and how they can stay with you.
    It's about time, in a word, or perceptions of time.

The story is somewhat paranormal, although inspiration for it comes from a few sources: some of the 'wintery' settings found in Dickens, a dream I had which gave me most of the plot, and last but certainly not least, a couple of comments made by someone here on this very forum.