What's your current novel/story about?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Orcalot, Sep 6, 2011.

1. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I'm writing a lighthearted historical short story, about an Italian dressmaker based in a fictional city in England. He has to visit the roughest part of the city in order to attend the wedding of one of his clients, and his trip doesn't go smoothly :)

Not the most epic tale that's ever been told, but it's fun to write!

1 person likes this.
  2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

A genius who dooms the world by an act of sheer stupidity, a soldier without an army, a scholar who wishes to burn books, and a would-be tyrant who accidentally saves the world.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

That sounds quite delightful.

4. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I'm trying to write a comedy about a young lad's experience in a Young offenders centre that doubles up as a mental hospital. The place is decorated everywhere by Looney toons and the Head of the centre is every bit as mad as his patients

5. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

I have a couple of projects going now. Necromancer's Prophecy is in the outlining process now, and will be an epic high fantasy about a young woman who discovers that she is the missing link in a major prophecy that will unleash an deep ancient evil on the world. It is told in three major parts ranging from her childhood all the way to her adulthood and her having to decide the fate of the world.

The other project is called Wolf Witch and is an urban fantasy about a shamanistic skinwalker who has power over her totems, and whose spirit guides live within her and share their skins with her. She is hunted by the local werewolf pack because of her power over wolves, and she is solicited by the local Family of vamps because of the same power. It's more complicated than that, but it would take way too long to explain, lol. I am in the beginning writing stages, having finally finished planning it. Yay!

6. AMasonCarpenter

AMasonCarpenter New Member

I am dying for a title, but my WIP is like this; a dystopian science fiction tale of debt, mystery, homelessness, agoraphobia, superheros, homemade wine, polygamy, tribal politics, the hemp industry, teenage private investigators, carhops, genetic engineering, subterranean cultists, nano-technology, automated coffee-houses, and a queen. Among other things. It has four main characters and I haven't even counted the supporting cast. It mainly takes place in Texas. The storyline stretches from the 1940s to 2040, with the bulk of the plot being in 2040. Really, like much science fiction, it is about living in the modern world. I am having quite a bit of fun writing this novel and hopefully someone, somewhere, may have some fun reading it.

AMC

7. Faerytale

Faerytale New Member

I'm working on a fantasy novel called 'Outcast' about a half-elf who isn't accepted by the humans because she looks like an elf and isn't accepted by the elves because her mother nearly caused the extinction of their entire race. The catch is, she doesn't know her back story and has to figure it out as she goes.

8. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

That sounds so awesome. Like whoa.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^
    Very intriguing.

10. JohnKPatterson

JohnKPatterson New Member

I've got a four-book fantasy series. Combined High fantasy and adventure fantasy, with a mostly character-driven plot. In the first book, a country whose military is too stretched out gets targeted by a coalition of other nations, who work under the orders of an old supernatural enemy (not the typical Dark Lord - he honestly thinks he'll save mankind from itself if he can bring the nations' governments under his control).

The novel is told through three points of view. Two are from the royal family of the threatened country: The king's brother, a young wizard and warrior who needs to use spells in battle all the time, but sees no honor in killing with magic, and prefers to fight with "honest" weapons like swords and spears; and a princess who witnessed her mother's apparent suicide and tries hard to grow past her grief and "get over it, already". The third comes from 22nd century England (it's a distant-future fantasy, if you were wondering about that), a young man burdened by guilt in his past and wanting to escape it, so he took the option of going into suspended animation. He wakes up eons later, seeing this fantastical world through rose-colored glasses, until its darker realities catch up with him.

It is kind of a familiar fantasy setting (wizards, dragons, elves, fairies, etc.), but I'm trying to put my own twists on that, and make the story my personal playground for moral complexity. I find black-and-white fantasy generally frustrating.

11. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

I wonder how you characterized your italian dressmaker...

12. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Personally I'm writing a war novel novel set in a sci-fi environment (so I can decide who wins without having problems with real history) that narrates the events from the persepctive of some young kids drafted in a world(s) war and the effects of humanity. That's Story A, there's also a Story B that deals with more esoteric themes like the origin of the human race and the creation of life in the universe.

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm writing a romance novel about a woman who is running a B&B with her husband when this guest shows up with his wife and they realize they already know each other (In the biblical sense ;) ) because they had a romance during university and they haven't seen each other since. Need I say there is still some tension between them? ;) I have no idea how long this story is going to be and if it will really reach novel lenght, that is what I'm going to find out. The whole story is an experiment, because it's the first time I'm writing something with the entire plot thoroughly outlined down to every scene.

14. Rex

Rex New Member

My project is bit Asimovian. Placed in 2065 in the aftermath of the Great Global Crisis. Nations have restructured and reorganized sovereignty, and economic powers. There is a clash between two main factions. The Luddites, and the Globalists. The main characters are a female scientist who is thrust into the conflict when she finds her reputation under attack and accused of sabotaging the project she has built her entire career on. An elderly man Historian, Head Librarian over the only remaining archive that is not completely digital. The Historian and the scientist are forced to meet each other by a set of circumstances set up by a mysterious person who seems to know everything about them. They find themselves in a race to solve the mystery of who has sabotaged the ENOCH project. A breakthrough in computer technology that has been praised by the media and the research foundation to offer a solution to the Moore's Law challenge.

15. AMasonCarpenter

I finally finished it! Not the novel. I finished the long-awaited blurb about the novel. Hurray! I shall copy and paste it, forthwith. Enjoy.

Until the early twenty first century, Normal, Texas was a quiet college town. Then, devoured by the creeping urban sprawl of the 'Plex, it is a crossroads of fate for four unlikely heroes. In a post-automotive age of debt economics and automated coffee houses, the summer heat of 2040 makes everyone a little crazy. With the help of a departed alien space probe and a deceased genetic engineer, Normal becomes the focus of history making events. Swept up by this history, are out four heroes:

Warren Mulberry – A homeless man, he makes a living by finding treasure in the garbage. He collects antique electronics and spends time reading at the local library annex. Warren is content in his spartan life, but lonely. This all changes when he makes an unlikely new friend.

Annette Carroll – Fourteen years old and a high school graduate, this serious young woman is disappointed in her new taco assembly job. Constantly battling sexual harassment and her own compulsive behavior, Annette dreams of finding her runaway sister. With the help of her insatiable curiosity and a mysterious ally, she embarks on a new career.

Benito Alvarado – A hard-working telecommuter and toy collector, Benny has not left his grandmother's house in thirteen years. After making a careless request to a stranger, he learns that life is very different than his favorite anime.

Alice Brae – A free spirited world traveler, Alice roams the Earth, unaware of the millions who watch her exploits on the net. When she is recruited as a diplomat by a tribe of natives, she must come to terms with her dark past and her public life.

In a world hungry for miracles, we find the miraculous all around us. In a Texas desperate for change, we find the origin of superheroes.

AMC

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why would you write the blurb before the novel is finished ("final" draft)? That makes no real sense.

17. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    My novel is about a group of indiviuals who have found their way to the same boarding house, where they spend time getting their heads together. Everyone is hiding or running from some aspect of their lives that they can't cope with (illness being one case, sexual orientation being another), or fears they have but can't express in their home lives. My MC, Sam, develops a sense of self and internal growth by interacting with these people. The house itself plays a big role in this novel, and ultimately it is a character-driven story.

Cog, I wrote a synopsis before writing my novel as a way of mapping out events. It gave me lots of ideas and direction, but the novel turned out rather different than the initial plan once it was finished. That synopsis would be useless now, lol. Maybe they wrote the blurb as a kind of map to go by...? :confused: Otherwise I'm stumped. Could be procrastination in disguise of course. :p

18. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva New Member

Weird Freudian thingy, fantasy setting, giant squids.

19. AMasonCarpenter

An example of a situation:

Person A: Hey! What are you doing digging for food in my garbage?

Me: Sorry, fellow human being, I am hungry and I have no local currency.

Person A: No money! You are just a burden on society and should be locked away to shield the rest of us from your extremely distasteful and not very stylish poverty.

Me: Forgive me, fellow human being, you see I am writing a novel.

Person A: You mean with with words and things? People still make those?

Me: Actually, Yes.

Person A: So what is this novel in progress of yours about?

Me: I happen to have this BLURB, they told me I was mad to write it, but look how handy it is now.

Person A: That sure in a lot of words, can you not summarize it further and send me a text message?

Person B: Just shoot the poor man, Henry, so we can go watch American Idol and abuse our children.

Person A: Okay, Martha.

Bang.

20. JohnKPatterson

JohnKPatterson New Member

Some authors actually have different processes of writing than you do, Cogito. We're unique. I know my books would be a jumbled mess if I didn't remind myself where their main focus is, by writing blurbs like this. I'm the only one who will read most of them, but what matters is that I keep the story-in-a-nutshell in mind.

1 person likes this.
  21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So basically your "blurb" is more of a roadmap or outline than a dust jacket blurb. It's for your own use, not to present to a publisher.

22. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

When electrocution erases a man’s memory, he must find his way home when a hustler sends him away.

23. Acidz

Acidz New Member

Mystery & Crime.

About a cop 'Alex' that wakes up in his room confused by the dreams he undergo each and every night. He is busy working on a case "no idea what its called yet" and the case started with his wife's death (Carleen). Strange things happen to him as he starts to learn and discover more about the killer, and over time he notice things out of reality. Eight deaths, 7 cases :p.

Can't say anymore then that, because I'm still planning... This here is just a very short description, want to say more but it will only spoil it. I love twists in stories so this will surely have a couple...

24. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

I finished my first novel about 6 months ago and have been editing/revising it since. Not to give too much away but my story is about the end of the world.

Literally.

25. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Project A: The story of a young Filipino girl who escapes from her traffickers and hunts them down.
    Project B: The story of Somerled, Norse-Gaelic insurgent leader.
    Project C: The story of an Afghan mujahideen who shoots an Soviet soldier and goes on a quest to find out the man's identity.