What's your "everyday carry"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newjerseyrunner, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

Aside from a couple spare fuses, I probably don't have enough car repair stuff in my vehicle. It does have a jack and full-sized spare, and my tool kit has most common sized wrenchs and sockets. I think there's also one of those tire repair kits that you use to stuff a piece of rubber in the nail hole, but the one time I tried to use it, I didn't have the hand-strength to do it and had to call a friend. I need to pick up a can of fix-a-flat.

2. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

If I'm just going out and about on a jolly, its phone, wallet, asthma pump and house keys. If it's to work on a Mon>Friday - phone, wallet, asthma pump, keys, headphones, one or two books, breakfast and lunch, trainers for my walk home.

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    "Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint"?

izzybot and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

There's a character in an old cartoon, the matriarch of the family of trolls, who carries solutions to everyday problems and nuisances in her purse:
    [​IMG]
    Basically I want to be like her, so my black hole of a purse should carry me and my loved ones through a small zombie apocalypse. :D

There's the normal stuff like the wallet, car keys, home key, work and private phones, my ID card for work, chapstick, compact, earphones... But I also carry a pack of tissues, Leatherman, a miniature roll of duct tape, a small hand sanitizer, a pen, sunglasses, earbuds, oc, a pill box that holds enough heavy duty painkillers to keep me from going insane from pain should a zombie bite my hand off... uh, the list goes on.

Yeah, I prefer to see myself as a cute cartoon character rather than the paranoid prepper that I might actually be... o_O

Don't get me started on the contents of my car's trunk.

Shenanigator and Mrs.Smith like this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Oh dear, Moomin. The Japanese have been mad about Moomin for the last few years, interesting that it's an "old cartoon".

KaTrian likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

hell Moomin trolls were around when I was a little kid ... 40 plus years ago

ETA actually the first book came out in 1984 ... I must be remembering from when my sister was litle

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    KaTrian likes this.
  7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I'm surprised you guys know about the Moomins. o_O

Yeah, the anime is from the '90s (made in Japan) where that picture is from (maybe, not sure actually) and the comic strips and books are even older than that.

8. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If it makes you feel better I had no idea about them, though I rather like the idea. I generally have to make the worst of my problems myself.

KaTrian likes this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Flat keys and mobile phone.

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It must have been a reprint. I remember trying to read a book called Comet In Moominland which was recommended to me by a librarian when I was a kiddo (maybe eight or nine years old) because I wanted something sciencey. I don't even think I knew the term "science fiction" yet, and I'm sure the librarian wouldn't have taken me seriously if I'd known it, given my age.

Anyway, it bored me stiff and sent me to my Dad complaining. That's when he put Jules Verne into my hands (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) and set me on the path I follow to this day.

Anyway, that must have happened in 1969 or 1970 or so. Yes, I'm that old.

11. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

I'm just a few years behind you Minstrel, but my first sci-fi wasn't until my teens. Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, which is still one of my favorites. I'll never write sci-fi, but I still love reading it.

12. OurJud

I really should give Verne's classics a go. Are they an easy read?

13. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

They are a solid read, although in a slightly weird place because there's been so many books that have come after them along a similar path which , to me anyway, leads to the earlier books seeming derivative of the genre they helped to create instead of feeling unique and exciting and new just because it's not new to me. There's a lot of stories that are takes on the 20,000 leagues story, you know? Still good books though.

OurJud likes this.
  14. minstrel

Time Enough For Love is a long, rambling thing, but Lazarus Long is one of the great sci-fi characters. If you liked him, you should try Methuselah's Children and other stories featuring old Lazarus.

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm almost scared to go back to Lazurus, I've re-read some other Heinlein in the past few years and found that he hasn't aged very well for me. Of course, if you know much about his personal history, you might enjoy reading Cakes and Ale by Somerset Maugham. It was written before Heinlein became a writer, and it is set in a time before even that, but I found it to be prophetic. YMMV.

16. minstrel

I agree. Heinlein, particularly his later stuff, has aged terribly. Still, there's a vitality and enthusiasm in his early work I still get a charge out of. Maybe it's just nostalgia. So long as he stays away from all that right-wing blathering he was guilty of in his later years, I'm okay with him.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  17. Poetical Gore

Poetical Gore Member

I carry a fork everywhere I go like Joey Tribiani (sp?)

OurJud likes this.
  18. OurJud

Ah! Someone else who communicates through the medium of Friends clips. Thought that was just me.

Poetical Gore likes this.
  19. Mrs.Smith

Mrs.Smith Member

I've read everything he's written. Some I'll confess to skimming in parts, and several that I'll likely never read again, but aside from that I usually found something that spoke to me in his writing.

Regarding forks ^^^ I carry a salt shaker. Blood pressure has never been an issue so no worries there, and I love salt. The man just rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

20. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Phone for contact and meme collecting
    Keys for driving
    Wallet for ID and money
    Gym Bag that carries various items for entertainment at work as well as my water bottles

Not much else for me

21. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Wallet, keys, ipod (I never go anywhere without music), 'phone (if I remember it), Leatherman.

Day-to-day it's pretty unlikely that anything happens to me that I can't sort out with one of those.

When I do use my car it's basically to go to the shops or to work, so it's pretty empty, too; a jerry can, rope, tarpaulin, basic hand tools, torch, an axe and a glass hammer by each window.

The thing I drive around in at work has loads more stuff in it: tool kit, spade, shovel, axes, rake, bolt cutters, trauma kit, water pumps, hydraulic cutting gear, hose, 1800 litres of water...

22. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I carry my keys, flip phone, and wallet wherever I go, regardless of necessity. It's easier to remember that way. I also bring my flash drive to college every day, and a pen, if I don't forget it. My pocket sometimes contains nicotine gum, and my backpack generally has two or three pieces buried in the back with my spare toothbrush and deoderant. I used to carry an iPod Touch, but I left it at my friend's house, and I have an iPad now, which is far superior. My backpack usually contained a laptop, a binder, an organizational calendar, and a textbook or two last semester, but it was so heavy the fabric started to tear, so I'm going to substitute the laptop with the iPad as much as possible.