1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Anti-drugs

Discussion in 'Research' started by Bakkerbaard, May 1, 2020.

Let's pretend you're a particularly unpleasant character who keeps people doped up to do what you want them to do, but now a situation has occurred which requires you to have a coherent conversation with them.
    What would be in thee injection you gave them to clear their heads?

Due to me not being able to phrase my search correctly, Google keeps coming up with "boo, don't do the drugs" pages. The whole reason I'm here asking questionable things is because I'm already really good at not doing drugs.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't even have to be actual facts. I'll settle for believable pseudo-facts.
    I have 'antidote' now, but that just doesn't have the right ring to it.

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    In a hospital setting I can see activated charcoal (this is an older antidote) or Narcan (newer antidote).

What's the drug? It might make a difference if you want realism but honestly, you could probably skip that step (naming an actual drug) and just go to the antidote.

Scott

3. Bakkerbaard

You mean the drug they were getting before this 'antidote'?
    I have no clue. I managed to write around that. I try to avoid real-world references and/or brands for several reasons, and I was trying to write around this issue too, but it comes up briefly in that conversation. It's of very little importance, but I estimate this would be one of those things that makes a reader stop mid page and go, "My ass they injected that!"

4. Cdn Writer

TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I was wondering because different drugs apparently have different antidotes. Some drugs require X intervention while others require Y intervention.

The standard in tv medical dramas like ER was activated charcoal, usually regardless of what the drug was but when the opioid crisis hit, the standard changed to Narcan.

Really, if it doesn't matter, work around it. I don't really think the casual reader is going to go, "My ass they injected that!" - do you have any idea at all how often I read about the baddie giving his victim an injection or seeing it on tv?

The HUGE plot hole in that situation is:

HOW does this baddie know how to give an injection?

I've worked with diabetic clients that needed injections of insulin and it took me forever to learn how to do it. I have some co-workers who didn't pass the training and aren't allowed to give the injections.

But a baddie who has no medical background/training is going to stalk and inject a female victim in the neck with a syringe full of a knock-out drug??? Yah, right. It's more likely they would kill the victim by injecting them incorrectly - remember the victim isn't cooperating with you while you inject them with drugs against their will.

And when this is done, it's unbelievable how someone got their training - oh, I worked for the CIA in Viet Nam interrogating prisoners and I learned how to inject truth serum....oh, I worked at a vet's when I was in college to earn money and I helped to put animals to sleep (yah, injecting a dog or a cat is the same as a human)... oh, I did 5 years of medical school before dropping out....

Scott

Xoic likes this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

If you're not using a real drug, then it seems you could avoid stating exactly what he uses to 'sober them up' as well. Just say he dosed them with something that cleared the drug out of their system enough to make them coherent. Make up a name for it, or just never name it. Maybe he has some nickname for it, like Liquid Plumber or something.

6. Cdn Writer

I am laughing so hard right now, Xoic!!

"Liquid Plumber" is actually a drain cleaning product for clogged toilets in my neck of the woods and it is so funny to see something that has been used to unclog toilets being used to sober up people!

Yes, I know it's a nickname! It's still really funny.

Scott

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I know, it means the same here (your neighbors to the south*). I almost said Drano, but thought Liquid Plumber was a little funnier. It clears out what ails ya!

* @Cdn Writer Down here in the US we call Canada the Neighbors to the North. I just realized you might not refer to us that way, since it just doesn't have the alliteration that gives it the zing.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The word you want to search for is "anti-sedative".

Cdn Writer likes this.
  9. Bakkerbaard

Yeah, I spent a bunch of time shuffling words and sentences around. It was actually a pretty easy fix, but I just wasn't able to see it before I posted.

Well, this baddie has a guy there especially for keeping girls placated against their will to do exactly what you're thinking now. He's pretty good with dosing and there's not alot of stalking involved when you keep them chained to a bed.

I would have picked up on Drano. I know that brand, but for a moment I thought I'd just use Liquid Plumber for my 'medicine'.

Actually, 'anti-sedative' might just be the word I'm using.
    I'll give it a perfunctory whirl on the search engine, but this sounds just smart enough as-is.

Thanks. I consider this question answered.

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  10. bobbybirds

bobbybirds Member

I think simply adrenaline is used in many occasions to rouse a person quickly out of unconsciousness and bring them back from even near death.

Cdn Writer and Bakkerbaard like this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    "Here's a little something," he tapped the syringe, "that'll pep you up enough to talk."

Don't need to name it at all.