1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

tablet for writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Jul 17, 2011.

I just got a Motorola Xoom (for 'free' because one of my husband's clients owed money and offered it in part payment) but it doesn't seem good for writing or editing documents, so maybe I will pass it on to my daughter. Are there any tablets anyone knows of that are particularly good for writing when travelling, or am I better off with a notebook or something? I particularly liked how small and light it was compared to a laptop or notebook...

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I think as long as you had a USB keyboard or a dock with a keyboard, you could use a tablet for writing with little problem. I think the Toshiba Thrive comes with a lot of ports for connecting peripherals. But doing a lot of writing and editing on just a tablet, via the touch screen and no accessories, doesn't sound good to me regardless of which tablet it is.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

an external keyboard seems to defeat the purpose of a portable eectronic writing tool.

Google tablet pc slide out keyboard.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Ah, that's nice. I didn't know they had that.

I was thinking of maybe a foldable USB keyboard you can roll up and carry around easily, but an integrated one is better.

5. Kseniya

Kseniya New Member

Hi, I do all my writing on a Motorola Xoom tablet and I love it. I have not produced this much in years. It look a little experimentation with different apps, but I now finally have the tool of which I have been fantasizing long before tablets came along. I would hate to see you give up on it before you've really tapped its potential.

I write on the tablet one-handed using a stylus. I hand-write. It translates into typing. The recognition was excellent from the start, but the app also learns your handwriting. There was a bit of a learning curve, but it was like on-the-job training, not like a prerequisite.