What's YOUR personality?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lea`Brooks, May 20, 2015.

1. Woof

Woof Senior Member

PERSONALITY: ISFP ("THE ADVENTURER")

VARIANT: TURBULENT

ROLE: EXPLORER

Almost... though I suspect most of them would have been. Much better way to spend the twenty minutes I'm waiting for a phone-call than sketching out the final scene of my epilogue. Honest.

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Those questions you leave at neutral. I take this test for shits and giggles every few years and results are fairly consistent. This last time I even took the test really honestly, that means any question that I did not feel I could answer satisfactorily, I left at neither agree nor disagree. I was surprised to get the type I've always gotten in the past. Obviously 16 types aren't really going to describe every person to a T, but I have to say, if being honest, that the description in the end was able to predict some major habits and tendencies of mine that were not explicitly obvious from the answers on the test. It also guessed my career :S In other words, the test doesn't just tell you you are x amount introvert, x amount thinker, etc, but combines that information(whole greater than sum of parts ) to predict tendencies.

I don't know enough about modern psychology, nor am I confident enough in it, to say how scientific this theory is, however, I think in terms of describing the inner machinery (at some later)of many people's personalities, it does a pretty good job.

This particular site(in the op) is nice because it doesn't try to make every personality type sound like a super hero, like astrology does. It sugar coats a bit, sure, but if you read between the lines, it tells you which types are not that bright, which ones will have trouble getting laid, and whom you shouldn't trust.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    jannert and Sheadra like this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I just read over my own extended personality 'type,' ESFJ. I think it represents how other people see me. Yes, I've got a practical mind, and yes I like helping people. I have a wide circle of friends, and enjoy their company ...in small doses. I am quite comfortable playing the extrovert, and most people consider me very approachable— but that's not the real me. In actual fact, I'm happiest when I'm on my own, doing my own stuff in peace and quiet. I can become extremely tetchy if I'm constantly interrupted by people making demands on my time.

I prefer my own company. I hate traveling with other people, and always take trips alone if I can manage it. I like the freedom to come and go as I please. I respect authority when it's respectable, but have no trouble or qualms about defying it when it's not. I also like to forge my own path through life. If I can come up with a better way to do things, I'll do it, even if other people laugh and point and nobody else does it that way at all. I'm the sort who often doesn't read instruction manuals, but feels my way along until I hit a snag.

I'm not 'unselfish' either. I try not to hurt anybody or anything, and I like helping people, but I don't go whole-hog into sacrificial mode. I don't have the urge to control other people, unless they are trying to control me. Then look out! I'm happy to live and let live. I find it easy to set boundaries and to say 'no.' I feel many things very deeply, but tend to hide my feelings. Not because I care all that much about other people's attitudes toward my feelings, but because I don't fancy explaining them to anyone. My inner life is important to me, and it's mine. I reckon I'm a lone wolf who can travel with the pack when it suits me.

4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

I seem to be an INFP.
    I think I used to be an INTP.
    Hard to know if I'm going to get variations across different versions of the test or if my personality has drifted.
    I think fiction writing might train you to be more F, so it could be me.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I got INFP - Mediator. Not bad but I don't feel like it sums me up entirely.

6. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

ENFP-A "The Campaigner"

"What do you mean life is boring? Are we living on the same planet?"

Some of the questions were just a little too... complex to answer to the level I would want. However, that quote fits me pretty well. I'm kind of an extra-introvert, though. Stuck in my own head, but social as hell.

Edit: Read what it had to say about me and it was pretty much right. I'm people-people, that's for sure. I am assertive and go for what I want. That can be vague, because I'm always interested in new things. I'm not a fan of strict rules and hierarchy, that's for sure. Definitely a free spirit. One of my potential career paths includes writing due to constantly being able to be new. That's kind of the direction I take my writing too... as many possibilities as I can allow within my reality structure.

The relationship part is pretty right too, but I've cooled off that a bit. Stopped trying for a single love and all that, just having fun for the moment. Not in any huge rush to go and get married. I am a bit more logical than it's saying though. Imagination and fantasy are a part of my life, but I'm logical when it comes to thought processes.

7. 123456789

I've faced the same dilemma basically. You're overanalyzing the questions. Actions and "instinct" are going to contradict each other sometimes. I'm a strong believer that being social is a skill that can be developed, but that some people are more inherently social than others. Just because you can or even choose to behave socially does not make you an extrovert in my opinion. Maybe you're social because you realize networking helps get you jobs, who knows? Some of their social questions don't account for this. You ignore those ones. But some of the social questions do account for this. For instance, one asks "after socializing you do not feel drained of energy." Thats a good one. Answer those types.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

I wasn't aware you were allowed to skip questions. That would have made sense. All I know is that when I read what my type is supposed to be like, I thought ...superficially yes, but inherently no. As for overanalyzing the questions ...I mean how can you avoid it, if they ask you stuff like do you think truth should trump feelings in a debate? For crying out loud. It depends on the debate and who is involved. I don't think that question can be answered honestly, unless you would truly do the same thing in all circumstances. This is the kind of thing that always puts me off taking tests of this nature. And the fact that when I do, the results aren't right.

My honest answer to so many of these questions is: it depends. Which is NOT the same thing as choosing 'neutral.' Neutral means you don't give a hoot either way, or don't lean in either direction. "It depends" means you give a hoot, but your reaction will change with circumstances. Surely the makers of these tests could come up with a way to offer this as an alternative answer.

I think these tests are biased against people who think before they act, or require a clear idea of what they're answering before they do. If you're a knee-jerk reaction person, you're probably fine. But if you get forced into choosing quite a number of answers that aren't quite right, the results will be skewed.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Ivana likes this.
  9. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

Interesting... If you leave all the dots in the middle of the scale, you get ESTJ (Executive) type. :)

Anyone else got the ENTP?
    I wouldn't agree that this is 100% true for me. They are emphasizing the debate, debate, debate... all over again. I do like to argue, but that's hardly a meaning of life for me. Also, I do have trouble showing feelings, but I'm not completely emotionless as they say.
    I agree with jannert about this test representing how other people percieve us, more than what we truly are.

But this is soooo true :D
    "When it comes to hard details and day-to-day execution where creative flair isn't just unnecessary but actually counter-productive, ENTP personalities lose interest, often with the consequence of their plans never seeing the light of day."

10. 123456789

If you neither agree nor disagree with the statement, you essentially are leaving it blank. As for your last paragraph quoted above, id say it's rather the opposite.

If you just see that a question can't be answered , just don't answer it. Some of the questions though are answerable. You either get fatigued after socializing or you don't. You either like to socialize or you don't. In fact, id say gut reaction types might be the ones who say these questions are all unanswerable. It's pretty obvious that people are more complex then a simple scale, so you're required to see beyond the fact that although maybe you have no problems walking into the center of the room and saying hello to everyone, your natural tendency is to stick to the walls. The test does require you to look in the mirror. If you can't for a particular question, skip it.

It's also possible you actually are an extrovert and don't realize it :p

I'm pretty sure these tests are designed by introverts, in fact probably it's always one of those God damn INTJ types who are obsessed with categorizing everything and way too pleased with their creativity. It would explain why INTJ is always given the most praise in these things. So if you get an E personality type, there's no reason to be bothered.

11. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

You mean, leave it with the dot in the middle of scale? I think the middle represents completely neutral answer. When you feel that you agree and disagree equally.
    Plus, if you leave all the questions with a dot in the middle, you get ESTJ type. :p

12. jannert

I didn't know you could actually skip questions. I might try taking the test again and just not answering the ones I can't answer truthfully. I'm basing my view on the accuracy of the result by the fact that when I read what I was supposed to be like, very little of it actually felt like me. What is an extrovert? Somebody who can deal with people easily but who would prefer not to most of the time? (Me.) Or somebody who loves the attention and interaction with other people and who is quite miserable without it? (Not me.) I'm not 'shy' but I don't crave interaction with people either. I'm quite happy in my own company.

Ha ha! Well, I re-took the test, skipping the questions that I felt were too general to answer, but answered all the others as before. And guess what? I'm now an introvert! Sheesh....

123456789 likes this.
  13. 123456789

See? You're learning how to select for results that fit your hypothesis. You'll make a scientist in no time!

daemon and jannert like this.
  14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

The way "introvert" is used in this context isn't necessarily the same as the way it's used in other contexts. Introverts aren't automatically shy or withdrawn; in fact, lots of introverts enjoy spending time with people. The distinction is whether spending time with people is energizing or exhausting, and whether the person understands the world by turning inward or looking outward.

So it's possible to be quite social, at least in some settings, and still be an introvert according to this matrix.

123456789 likes this.
  15. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

INTJ

16. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Extroverts are often defined as people who are energized by most (typically all) social interactions. They feed off of the energy of a group of people. Introverts are the opposite. They are energized by spending time alone and are instead often drained by being around large groups of people for an extended period of time.

I'm an introvert, but I can still tolerate people. I like going out with my friends. But the thought of going to a large party where I only know one or two people sounds like zero fun to me. I'd rather sit home and take a bath. lol

jannert likes this.
  17. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

INTP this time.
    19% Introverted
    6% Intuitive
    8% Thinking
    10% Prospecting
    64% Assertive

The description is only partially accurate. No more than half at best but not too inaccurate either, especially when it comes to matters of emotion. Personally, I can switch between being an"N" or "S" and "T" or "F" as the situation calls. I take these tests every time I see them, and the only things that never really change are the "I" and the "P."

18. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Nah. That's just because we're awesome.

19. 123456789

Being an INTJ doesn't guarantee you anything . Imagine running a fancy operating system with shit CPU and memory.

This applies to all personality types, actually. Imagine being super social and looking like Edward scissor hands.

In essence, these personality tests are not about "bragging rights." Im not going to think you're smart because an online test you spent twenty minutes on says you're an architect when you and I both know you couldn't design a building to save your life.

If anything , I think the test helps you understand your own flaws, and more importantly , helps you recognize that people actually do operate differently on some levels.

20. 123456789

On a side note, I never could understand why this test also prioritized introversion and extroversion. I personally think the most important trait there is thinking/sensing, which I like to call exploring/mimicry.

It's almost like mankind is an inchworm, those (successful) thinkers taking that first leap forward and the rest(copy cats) forever in pursuit.

On an individual level, I think whether your own thoughts are copied from others or derived yourself plays a major major role in your personality, more so than the others. It might even determine the other traits you have.

21. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

buuuuuurn.

123456789 likes this.
  22. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

Interesting result, I'm a EXECUTIVE (ESTJ-A). I'm not sure I agree with their assessment.

23. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

I hereby christen thee... No Zero!

123456789 likes this.
  24. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Ugh I hate this test. It's pretentious jerk off material. "Look how good I am!"

25. 123456789

It's only that way if you're under 25. This is a PERSONALITY test, not a scorecard. It predicts (with some level of accuracy) your interactions with yourself and with your environment. Probably the best extroverts are physically imposing or appealing in some way, possess a talent like singing or football, and don't smell bad. Probably the best introverts were born with good brains and developed good work habits. For us mediocre folks , this test simply defines us in terms with how we interact on a daily basis.