Novel What's Your Writing Process?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ACCERBYSS, May 26, 2008.

1. Kate Cosette

Kate Cosette New Member

I just recently started taking a writing workshop with Corey Mandell for Creative Integration and he is a genius when it comes to creating your own writing process. He used to teach at UCLA but realized that all those formats for writing and "you have GOT to use an outline" myths weren't helping writers write anything. It's the most refreshing take on writing I've ever heard!! :)

As he teaches, there are two main approaches to writing--intuitive, where you kind of write your way into the darkness and almost never think too far ahead, and then conceptual, where you usually always start out with a well-plotted structure and details, rather than characters and emotions. Intuitive writers focus mostly on characters and a general feeling. I lean more that way; I used to just sit down and start writing whatever came to mind in that exact moment and it would somehow link together.

But.... sometimes it didn't.

And, at least in my experience, if I write purely intuitively, I can't finish much. And even if I do, the plot is so vague because the intuitive part of the brain likes possibilities. It doesn't like making decisions. Because what if you make the wrong one?! haha. Conceptuals can come up with amazing plots in their sleep, but most of the time that leaves their characters dry and their dialogue kind of forced, like they come up with a roadmap of the story but then design the characters around it, making them unnatural. And intuitives can write characters and dialogue so naturally, like the characters are real people, and their words bleed on the page. But they can't write a story to save their lives. They just try to form a story around the characters and it's not very organic that way. (Obviously this isn't a black and white kind of thing--tons of overlap. I'm positive that there are conceptuals out there who can write fantastic characters and intuitives that can write amazing plots and storylines. Usually when I try, they only ever happen on accident though lol...) You know you're an intutive writer if you change some part of the story because it didn't "feel" right haha.

After a while of writing purely intuitively, I realized there must be something totally wrong with me because I couldn't finish anything! So I took some random writing class online years ago and asked the teacher how I could learn to write structure and plot well when I can only write really natural dialogue and character stuff. And he told me, "You just have to reprogram yourself to write with an outline." Well... I tried that! Didn't work. But then I found creative integration AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

I swear they don't pay me to advertise lol I just want to share this with as many writers as I can :)

Something that I've found to be super useful is that when I'm starting out writing something new, I always need to know what the point of the story is. Kind of like the theme of it. Knowing the point of what you're writing is what will keep you centered so that you don't go off on any tangents that don't support the story. Every sentence, every chapter should tie to that theme, that point that pulls all the parts together. And keep that little theme or point of the story near you as you write it so you don't forget (because you probably will haha). It really helps to have it when you're kind of stuck on where to go next.

Here's a link to the site if anyone wanted to check it out: http://coreymandell.net/how-to-create-the-best-possible-characters-and-story/ .

And his blog here explains the idea of creative integration: http://coreymandell.net/why-story-structure-formulas-dont-work-part-three/

~kate cosette

Law likes this.
  2. Not Ready to Say

Not Ready to Say Active Member

To be quite honest, I'm new here, I'm not the best at writing, but I enjoy listening to a mashup of different genres of different music, the songs I'm listening to usually effects the scene I'm writing about, whether it changes the plot or not. I don't really fit into my characters very well, so I don't usually try to view it from there perspective which has led to some very strange conversations which end up getting trashed, but I always include a character in my projects that I can relate to and are pretty much my idea of what they should be. Most of my characters are never written once, in a single one of my projects, a single character went from the villain to the hero to the Trickster and finally it settled into a position that fit it. I like to think of my writing as a big puzzle and I'm jamming the pieces into it while blaring music, it isn't the most efficient and doesn't usually end up looking very nice, but it works, and I can always fix the ugly parts later. I just read the first chapter of a story on here and I can already see how undeveloped my skills are. But my writing choices are still going to be strange and my characters will still jump, soon the villain of my current project might become the main hero, the current hero might end up dying in the beginning and the side characters will end up like dice in a blender, never settling until I'm satisfied. So grab your puzzle and hammer and maybe even a few files and start bashing away until you get something you like, bit like blacksmithing actually. Wordsmithing?

This post might've been all over the place, but they asked 9 years ago, and I'm only just answering, so take from it what you will and leave the rest behind, I'd rather not end up with nothing.

3. Micheal

Micheal New Member

I would have a folder of infomation, characters, stories arcs, plot lines, etc.. that i can refer too..

I would then have a scene in my head, which i would write down, even though it be a rough draft.
    I could write a end chapter, or sections, or a bunch of paragraphs.

An action scene, that needs to be carefully written, paced out. etc.. need taking time with, i get that written..
    Or i have a few characters that do not interact with main plot line characters, until the end.. i write all that out..

Then its a case, of placing all the scenes etc.. in the right order, its like knitting a story together.. then its a case of filling in the blanks.
    then a read through, edit where its needed, even if you have four to five read throughs, you catch something else every time.. that needs altering.

Cutting down a scene, extending a scene, editing a fight scene, just keep reading through until it flows..

I have written scenes and secments for a future novel in the series, when the inspiration hits you go with it.. get it down on the computer, paper etc.. no matter where it may fall in the over all series of books.
    Even if you writing just one book, when the inspiration hits you for a certain scene Character, interaction with others, a fight scene, or what ever. write it down.. before you loose it..
    even if it need heavy editing later on, the basic principle of the scene is there..

4. D.Clarke

D.Clarke Active Member

Idea -> Sit on idea for about a week but that is a week hyper-focusing on that one idea -> Get a outline for atleast 3-4 main characters, figure out the antagonist, whether it is internal or external -> build on that -> once I have a solid foundation I outline at least 10 chapters before I even begin to type -> Find music appropriate to the setting. Right now I'm writing a fan fiction with magic, dragons and all that blah blah so in my playlist is a bunch of epic medieval sounding tracks. When I venture into mysteries or other genres, I trust it will be different.

Then write -> write write. I always read everything back after each page to make sure the pacing is right, and again at the end of each chapter. So by the end of the book I barely want to read it. By that time my dopamine stores are so depleted; I want to write another to restore them... rinse and repeat.

Also, notice how I keep making those annoying arrows? -> -> That is exactly how I type my outlines. Terrible grammar and all that.

Example:

John introduced to jill -> Descibe jill, her whereabouts -> Describe setting brief details for now -> A scuffle breaks out -> Who is involved, why? (Introduce antagonist here) Elaborate ->

That is the only way I can stay on track and complete a book.

5. Stephen1974

Stephen1974 Active Member

My writing process?
    One letter after the other

6. Razortooth

Razortooth Member

My process starts mainly with one scene that comes to mind and then others will generate from that into some prewritting notes. From that I will try and flesh out an outline and then branch out from that. Once I have a first draft I'll print out and go through and make notes then leave it. If they still bother me when I come back to it I address them and then go into the second draft and so on from there.

7. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

I will have a raw idea, and usually a character that serves as my guide through the story, so I work with them until they're practically talking in my head and then I write out what they inspire. Once I have enough that I know where the story is going to go, I work on world notes, which serve as my manual for how to keep the world I'm making consistent, and with that in mind, return to the draft to see what I could make better.

8. Joseph engraver

Joseph engraver New Member

I truly enjoy writing, even though the act of doing takes me more time than putting a story together in my head. I write in short story form. When one part is done, I think about what the next connecting one will be .After I have several parts written, there comes a point where I stop and think how to logically connect all of them together. This usually happens at night when I cannot sleep. Once I have figured out the details and pitfalls in the work. I rewrite, review and correct names, locations, situations, then add color, fragrances and sounds. The ending comes to me when my mind says “This is done.”

9. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

I read this post with much interest, it seemed intriguing... and then I found out that Corey Mandell wrote Battlefield Earth.

He wrote one of the worst movies in the history of mankind and he runs a screenwriting workshop? That's like Donald Trump writing a book titled "How to make people like you".

10. RikWriter

RikWriter Member

Umm...you DO realize that enough people liked him to elect him president, right? A better title for him would be "How to stay silent and avoid controversy."

11. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

Yes, the same people who elected George W Bush.

Or he could also write "Russia had a hand in electing me President. Ask me how".

12. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Please leave politics out of this thread. This thread is for writing processes, and it is NOT in the Debate Room.

Thanks for your consideration!

14. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

I just kinda wing it.

15. Tophert79

Tophert79 Banned

Agreed.

My post was a reply with a quip at the end, it wasn't a political prompt.

16. TwisImage

TwisImage New Member

I start with an idea for a story then 'brainstorm' the outline first.

From that I set a timer to 30 minutes and write based on whatever ideas I've jotted down.

Next I leave it alone and come back in a few hours, maybe a day or so, and see if there's any obvious flaws in what I've written. I also shuffle the story about if needs be and finally go through a revision.

I'm guilty of not always following that exact method lol but that's my main way.

17. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Is there a part four to that blog post? I feel like the first three parts outlined the problem, and then he teased the solution:

How can this be done?

I’ll answer that in the next, and last, part of this blog post.​

But I can't find the fourth part of the blog. It seems like he goes from April 2011 to September 2013, with nothing in between. A little frustrating...

18. Dreams_on_Mars

Dreams_on_Mars Member

I am new to writing too, and have many struggles with it. But 1 freewrite. 2 Find the feeling 3 plot 4 visualize it 5 meditate on the characters back stories 6 songs for my characters, so when i need a break i listen to their songs. 7. actually write the scenes (try to let as little time pass as possible before writing. It will be hard, but you should try to add something meaningful to the story everyday to get it to completion ASAP before you lose the desire/drive/passion/ and start forgetting! 8 rework the story to be better.
    good luck

19. UltimateZero

UltimateZero New Member

Lately I've been writing fantasy. When I first approached it, I wrote small bios for each character and main plot points, then immediately started writing. I managed to BS my way through about three chapters before I realized I had no idea what I was writing.

I then stepped back and did some really solid worldbuilding. I created a map, a history, cities, minor characters, ect, this gave me something to pull from when writing, instead of making stuff up as I went. It took a long time to do but was well worth it. It added much more realism and depth to my world.

I don't like to plot heavily, I plan ahead two or three main plot points, then let the story flow. I enjoy letting the characters and plot develop on their own. If you create a rich world, I think this leads to a more interesting story to write and hopefully read.

I do minor editing in my first draft, but I try and let the story flow as fast as I can. I like to spend lots of time on my second draft, adding things in and smoothing out whats already there.

20. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

My writing process goes like this -
    1. Get an image of a person in my mind.
    2. Figure out what problem this person has.
    3. Sit down, create said person, build their world, nearly kill or destroy them a few times and then let them be happy.

I write romance primarily, so this works for me.

On the rare occasions I'm not writing romance, I usually kill them.

Laurus likes this.
  21. Law

Law New Member

Hi Kate, I found that a very interesting read. Do you know if there is a 4th and final part to that blog post? I see it was written a few years ago but it doesn't seem to have been completed

22. Vanthu

Vanthu Member

1. Get either an idea for a story or for characters.
    2. Get whatever I didn't get first.
    3. Write chapters introducing the characters.
    4. The story just kind of writes itself after that. I keep getting ideas, until I run out of them, then I'll stop writing until I get new ideas on what will happen next.

23. Marya

Marya New Member

I've never had a writing process to speak of before and haven't been able to complete any manuscript I've started and I've started MANY, even got about 27,000 words on one. I couldn't seem to get past that. I'd just get frustrated and stop writing. The NEED to write returned when I found a story in my head that HAD TO BE TOLD.
    I had been writing romance, this story is fictional. It's the story of a woman's struggle to deal with the memories of Horrendous childhood abuse. I've never written straight general fiction before so I'm developing a writing process. It presently consists of reading books on character, setting, and plot development and writing dialogue, and reading general fiction. I've joined a few book clubs as well. I figured dissecting good books is a good way to better understand what makes them good books. I'm also keep a notebook. I'm writing scenes or snipets of dialogue that pop into my head and also writing down whatever I think will help me from the books on writer's craft that I'm reading........

24. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Read Harold and the Purple Crayon, that's pretty much how I do it.

Well, my crayon isn't purple, but otherwise it's spot on.

25. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I like the Dwight V Swain method for working out the new ideas. there are many blogs on the process if anyone wants more details.