1. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

How to make scenes=a plot???

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by cjs0216, Nov 30, 2010.

I have a bunch of scenes in my head about my current "starting a cult" novel project and I'm wondering how you string your scenes together. What I mean by that is say you have several scenes which you think are pretty excellent and you, obviously, want to write a whole novel based on those scenes, how do you figure out what kind of "filler" scenes to add that are relevant to the story at hand to create a whole novel.

I hope that makes sense...if not, I apologize in advance...lol

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Here are the steps to take in order. (for me at least)

1. What's the primary goal that carries the protag through the whole story? (i.e. Frodo wants to bring the evil ring to Mount Doom)

2. What is the protag's biggest fear or threat? What is at stake if the MC loses? (From this, develop your main antag)

3. Over the course of the overall story, what obstacles will the MC face? Use this to create potential antagonists and subplots, as well as driving forward the plot (each chapter/scene needs something to keep the readers hooked, so you need immediate conflicts as well as long-term ones)

4. Obviously, how does the MC react to these obstacles?

5. Character change points/key revelations/motivation changes/personality changes/etc. Weave in as needed.

Go from there to create a plot. :)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I write filler - or ideas. I just begin writing some of the scenes get into the book others don't make it depends on the story.

4. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

I guess what I need to do, is get to know my characters a little better. I think of my MC as sort of an acquaintance right now, as I don't know much about him yet and as far as my other characters, they are but strangers to me. Probably I need to spend some quality time with these guys to know what they would do and say in certain situations so that I can be better prepared for what lays ahead for them...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Beginning with scenes before you have plots is putting the cart before the horse.

Plot is the dynamic that drives characters through the events that make up a story. Events are grouped into scenes, but if you don't know what events will arise from the plots and when, how can you know what will be in the scene.

But first, make sure you understand the difference between plot and storyline. Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?