1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Can one ever write equivalent to their thoughts/feelings?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Jun 19, 2016.

I've been pondering over my concepts and I came to realize I could never write as strongly/reflective as how I feel and what I think. I could always write down notes as detailed as I can but when they're on paper it doesn't make me feel the dread, despair and emotion that I feel when I'm listening to music and thinking of my story.

It either would come out over dramatized or not that dramatic/climatic.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

It comes down to getting the pace right in the build up, I think. 'She twirled the ring on her finger,' on its own, is hardly packed with emotion, but as the climax to a well layered story it has the potential to be very powerful.

Alex R. Encomienda and SethLoki like this.
  3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I think you're only facing the same issue we all do. Getting the reader to "feel" the emotion is difficult.

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

What @A man called Valance has put.

I think the easiest feelings to invoke through writing would be disgust and anger if you as the writer play to peoples' conditioned responses and prejudices. Whilst lust would be a shade deeper; feelings of love, pity and a broader empathy I'd say are the hardest to engender. This is where your skill as a writer gets tested. If you can create affinities, attachments that resonate with the thoughts of your reader, you'll be reaching them both consciously and subconsciously and you'll serve them well in giving them their hit of emotional escapism.

The feelings you describe @Alex R. Encomienda , those of 'dread and despair'— Aren't they coming from thoughts based on real world events that prey on your particular fears? And if you're writing their causes down (+reading them to yourself) maybe it's because they're coming at you second hand? Say a piece of your writing was put to a reader that unearthed the above fears afresh in a language that expressed all with an uncanny lack of error... I bet it'd give them goosebumps.

5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

...and the great mystery, also...of how your words are read, rather than...how your words are written.

My short piece was about shooting seagulls. The audience member, a man, told me I had encapsulated exactly the human condition of despair to his eyes. He was right. I never realised before how brilliant I am, not before that night together at the book reading.

[hew]

6. hawls

hawls Active Member

Instead of trying to put feelings into words put what causes them into words. That way your reader will feel them too.

A man called Valance likes this.