Novel When is it time to finally start writing my novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by aeustin, Nov 5, 2014.

1. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

@Nightstar99

High fantasy is not just the reimagining of Tolkien. It is based on the ancient Hero's Journey. Look into Joseph Campbell's: The Power of Myth. These stories are as old as time itself, and each writer's world is their own. You say it is just the reimagining of Tolkien, that I have major issue with.

Many, many writers have created their worlds from the very foundations up. Creation mythologies, languages, races, environments, creatures. The battles, they write and create, are their own. Talk to hardcore fantasy readers and writers and you'll learn a thing or two about the genre. They are dedicated to their niche and the passion for the genre shows in the writing of it. Storylines are tighter, characters better developed, worlds tenfold richer. These are fluent speakers of Geek, yes, Geek not Greek. Tolkien did not create the genre, the human love of purpose and heroes did.

And as for it being a small niche...Well, it is one of the most perused sections in the bookstore. Most of those folk are avid, avid readers and they look for authors similiar to the ones they just finished, and most of it is not Tolkien.

@aeustin

Keep at it, but leave your notes as they are. A couple authors to check out are Gear, Auel, and Iggulden.

- Darkkin, the Tedious

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

Fair enough.

The other thing I thought was that the premise reminded me of Amtrak Wars. Not sure if you would consider that SF or fantasy.

Is there a prerequisite for pointy ears in the genre?