1. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

charitable donatons?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by DeadMoon, Mar 4, 2016.

Here is a thought that popped into my head today.

and this may have been discussed before or attempted but I wanted to throw it out here anyway.
    As a way to promote myself short story and get my writing read by a wide audience I was thinking if I could charge a small price ( $0.99 - $2.99) for a collection of three or so short stories with the agreement that any earnings go to a charity. (I would have to find one to name) I would like this to be set up so I don't even have to have to money sent to me but directly to the charitable organization so as to not discourage anyone who thinks it would be a scam. I would get more readers and a charity would get extra funds, a hopeful win with for both of us.

Has anyone heard of this through amazon or another e-book seller? if anything I would try to set it up on a website of my own if nothing else.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I fear that my cynical view is that you might get fewer readers. People who might be perfectly willing to pay three dollars to you in a straightforward transaction might instead be distracted by the question of whether you're really going to give the money to the charity.

That could probably be overcome if it weren't just a one-off thing, but instead a whole know-to-be-honest "stories for charity" thing. But I suspect that's rather bigger than you had in mind.

3. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Nope, I don't like your idea. Just give it away for free or charge .99 cents. I'm good with either for an unknown author.

It's not unusual I read a free story from an unknown author (to me) and then buy every one of their books thereafter. I also give a lot of credit to the authors that give away a full length good quality read. Not some half baked, to be continued hook.

Digressing briefly, I had always assumed that my .99 cent buys are from authors trying to establish themselves and are writing novellas to get an audience. Turns out that may not be the case. I recently got into an author that writes the trashiest, smuttiest short romances that are highly entertaining... haha. Today, I found out she/he is a secret pen name for a NYT Best selling author and that it's a mechanism to have some naughty fun. I really like that. But now I'm scratching my head wanting to know who this writer normally writes as so I can read these other books. Arrgh!

Anyway, back to the topic. The problem you will still have is trying to catch my attention to begin with. I don't think I will look favorably on an establishing writer who uses a charity for self promotion. You'd have to convince me to want to read the story AND convince me that you feel strongly about the charity. It's all distraction you don't need. I could understand it if you are established and have a fan base that you can draw from. In that case, it's all about giving something of known value.

So in a long winded way, I don't see any merit in the charity idea. Unless you're really Stephen King?!?!?!

4. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Not Stephen King.....Richard Bachman Maybe... ok I see both of your points... well taken :)

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

There are quite often charity anthologies put together by various writers organizations to support a cause or a member in need. They can be a good way to get exposure. But you need to be a member of the organization, and depending on who's involved, you may need to be writing at a pretty high standard in order to be included.

DeadMoon and VynniL like this.
  6. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

haha, very funny. Also didn't even realize I had two points since I do ramble on. ;)

I do like @BayView 's suggestion. If you're able to get into a charity project run by a legit group and donate your story that way it would be good.

DeadMoon likes this.