1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When you accidentally write a major character out of the story.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Jul 8, 2018.

Right, um, during the process of writing my fantasy and widening my scope, I found that Mishu’s role in the story had diminished significantly. She’s no longer the ‘edgy lone blind teen assassin who spearheads a rebellion/fights in the front lines of a world war’. :p While I do like how she’s no longer the center of attention as if she’s some Chosen One Foretold™, I might have practically written her *out* of the story without considering how she can serve the grander plot in some way. :p

Seems I have once again gone to the extremes without considering the middle ground. Either she’s this unstoppable badass of awesomeness or she’s so hidden in the background that she may as well be a side character despite myself drawing her and the others on a regular basis. :p

So now I have to figure out how to bring her back in without making her the center of attention. She was, at one point, the centerpiece of my fantasy (what with her being the edgy teen assassin girl who is the face of a rebellion and alll) and she still exists in the universe, I just want to find a role for her that makes her part of the story without making the story revolve around her like she’s The Second Coming™.

Thoughts?

John Calligan likes this.
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Make her an impact character.

"Just like the antagonist, the impact character is a conflict-causer. Just like the antagonist, he’s at odds with the protagonist. But unlike the antagonist, the conflict isn’t necessarily the result of opposing goals. Rather, its core is the opposing worldviews of the protagonist and the impact character. The protagonist believes the lie; the impact character (lucky dog!) already knows the Truth."

K.M Weiland

Basically it's like Will Turner and Jack Sparrow. Will and Jack have a similar goal of finding the Black Pearl, but they rub because they have different beliefs and methods. Yet, in the end, they are both are good men.

3. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

My first thought upon reading this was how can you write out a major character, or any character, of your story Accidentally. It seems like rt would be a deliberate action to me.

4. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Well, considering that she's supposed to be the face of the rebellion. Could she have trained her own elite group of rebels that do separate, more important missions that shouldn't be left to the rest of the rebel plebs?

5. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I hadn't ever heard 'Impact Character' till @zoupskim mentioned it, but I'd say that sounds like a pretty good idea. Or even switch her to the antagonist's side, 'Edgy lone blind teen assassin' sounds like a potential baddie henchman to me.

(Alternatively, age her up and make her the MC's mentor? I, personally, am 'eh' about 'teenage assassin'- maybe she started as a teen but is now in her 30's/40's and is only more epic because of it?)

6. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Sounds like you're writing a pretty organic story. cool stuff.

Shenanigator and WaffleWhale like this.
  7. WaffleWhale

WaffleWhale Active Member

I feel like if your story flows naturally enough that you can accidentally write out a main character, you might be doing a pretty good job.

Shenanigator likes this.
  8. Leishua

Leishua Member

Agreed with what @zoupskim said. I am having this problem too. There were 4 main chars for mine but now the 4th one seems to have very little relevance. I'm trying to think of a new sub plot or arc to increase his relevance without ruining the dynamic or making it feel draggy but i might also have to cut him off if there isn't a feasible way.