1. blackpen

blackpen New Member

Ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by blackpen, Jan 5, 2009.

Is there a trick to transfering an idea, from the mind, to one on paper?

2. othman

othman New Member

Experience? Practice? Reading a lot helps too, but there is no "trick" to writing.

3. Mello

Mello New Member

maybe just write everything you're thinking, as you think it, and once you have a nice little jumble of words in front of you, start picking them out and editing them into coherent sentences?

4. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

Important thing is just to write, you can always edit later to get the mood and voice just how you want it. First worry about getting the narrative on paper.

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

There are story tellers who can't "write" and knowledgeable "writers" who can't tell stories. Authors are people who can do both. In essence, an author combines imagination with the ability to transfer one's mental images and ideas into compelling words. The end result is part training and part creative talent. You can not know if you possess the creative talent for writing until after you possess the technical skills, so you need to start by reading...that's right...reading. Notice the writing style of your favorite authors. Read the reviews offered in the Review Section of this site. Pay attention to every post made by mammamaia as her advice is always correct and she usually includes links to excellent reference sites on most topics.

After you've spent a couple months "studying" through reading, then try writing...but it is pointless to begin transferring your ideas to paper without at least rudimentary tools to "build" the story.

6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Always pay attention to your mother

Because mamma is very wise...she is a great asset to you if your willing to listen. Lord knows, she's helped me more then she'll realize...if anything for listening...
    :)

7. lovely

lovely New Member

I think a lot of people have trouble with this because they don't just sit down and do it. It's one thing to have an idea, but it's something else entirely to actually go through the process of writing out the ideas. Many times writers get caught on little details that they feel must be worked through before they can begin. Nothing will ever be transferred to paper without a little determination to do so.

It doesn't matter if what gets written is awful. The point is that it has been written. There's always time to go back and fix it later!

I'm sorry if this post seemed like it was stating the obvious!

8. lovely

lovely New Member

I think a lot of people have trouble with this because they don't just sit down and do it. It's one thing to have an idea, but it's something else entirely to actually go through the process of writing out the ideas. Many times writers get caught on little details that they feel must be worked through before they can begin. Nothing will ever be transferred to paper without a little determination to do so.

It doesn't matter if what gets written is awful. The point is that it has been written. There's always time to go back and fix it later!

I'm sorry if this post seemed like it was stating the obvious!

9. lovely

lovely New Member

Ah! I accidentally hit the post button twice! Sorry!

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no trick to doing that, assuming you're not illiterate... the trick is in writing it well enough that anyone other than you will want to read it!

and the trick to doing that [as salty noted above] is: to write well, you must first read well!

....and constantly, the best work of the best writers of whatever it is that you want to write [as well as all other types of writing, just to get a well-rounded foundation in what one can do with words]...

love and hugs, maia

11. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

Yes, there is & that's the job of writers. As a writer, you're to find your own style & way of doing that. As my father said, "Before you can write, read." So look at how other authors do it & find your own style out of all that.

12. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

A "trick"? You're kidding, right?

Writing might be fun but it's also hard work. Hard work and practice are the only "tricks" you're going to find. Same as with any other hobby/profession/pastime.

Writing has almost always come easily to me but that doesn't mean there's a "trick." I just sit and I write. And the more I write the better I get. That's all there is to it.

So, be prepared to work hard and write a lot. That's the trick.