1. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

Writing when tired

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Kerilum, Nov 13, 2016.

Do you guys ever write when you're tired, just woke up, or when it's 4.00? For example, I'm writing at 5.00 on a Sunday.

2. CaitlinCarver

CaitlinCarver Member

You know what? Stories and muses have been called a lot of different things, but 'polite' is not one of them. Sometimes your stories shake you awake in the middle of the night to write, and other times they elude you for weeks. I've written at all hours, and some of my productive days (in terms of word count, plot development, and general insight into the story) have been over the course of 18-hour days. Sometimes, you need to write when you're tired, or sick, or otherwise ailing, because that's when the story calls.

I'd just say that if the urge comes to you, wake up, pick up your pen or spread your fingers over the keyboard and write. Good luck in your endeavors!

Brindy likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't often write when I'm tired, but I'm often tired later on because of writing I did when I should have been sleeping!

So, yeah, staying up late, waking up and writing instead of going back to sleep like I should... absolutely. I'm not sure I'd be able to get to sleep even if I tried, when I'm excited about an idea, so... might as well write it down.

Brindy likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I find i'm most creative when i'm tired, but that its hell on spag , so I generally keep the tired phases to 'pantsing' out the story , and leave editting and tidying up for times when i'm more alert.

I have been known to pull all nighters when my creative mojo is really on fire, but i try to keep that to a minimum as its hell on the day job

5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I write whenever. When I'm feeling very much inspired and satisfied with my writing (when I'm on a roll) I sacrifice sleep, trying to keep on going as much as possible. Very bad for health, very good for progressing with the story. That's actually what I've been doing since yesterday. I've been doing this a lot lately. I'm on a roll and jet lagged into a different time-space continuum. I hope I'm not delusional about my progression. Yep, sometimes sleep deprivation fucks up with your critical thinking. But I was writing before feeling tired, and already took some positive critique from two people, so I guess I will be fine. :D

6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I've been dealing with confidence issues lately and can only write when I'm tired and the self-critical part of my brain has already crashed :rolleyes: I've always been one to pull all-nighters writing, though. At least twice I can remember writing through dawn.

Rosacrvx likes this.
  7. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

No. But I have written a hell of a lot when off my box on whisky. During college I tried writing a story about a chippy after eating space cakes. It didn't do my productivity a whole lot of good, but it certainly made for sumptuous descriptions of the battered fish and mouth-watering fries.

Malisky and SethLoki like this.
  8. Stuart B

Stuart B Member

I look at this two ways;

1) A good idea suddenly comes to you when you are tired:
    I find it quite easy to write under these circumstances. The spark of an idea is a strong motivator and the excitement of getting down on paper keeps me going.

2) You're tired but you write because you feel you have to:
    I find this quite difficult. I already know what I have to write but tiredness makes it hard for me to focus. I'm less critical when I awake and (more importantly) happy. If you are feeling down (because of being tired or other reason) it's easier to fall into a more critical frame of mind which blocks the creative flow.