Where are you in your book?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CoyoteKing, Apr 10, 2018.

1. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

Welp...I thought I was done, but my second chapter has been nagging me for some time, so I am re-writing it.
    It's so much better now though, and really sets up the story and I'm sure it will draw the reader in emotionally.
    I'm happy I'm making these changes.

Shenanigator likes this.
  2. Spirit of seasons

Spirit of seasons Active Member

Just hit 41,000 yesterday, my goal is 50k before I take a break and then begin editing. I’m sure I’m missing lots of important scenes that I can fit in later, but the main story arch (Rose x Lyla) is mostly intact. I have a solid plan of attack without over outlining, and a clear end goal. Finishing my first draft feels like a real attainable goal, for once. 9k words isn’t that much. Also I want to have some fun Worldbuilding since my story shouldn’t exist in a vacuume.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Most of my story takes place in a vacuum, so I resent that. :p
    Granted when I use it I mean space, not a metaphor. :p

4. Spirit of seasons

Haha I wish I could write a spin-off story with Rose in space. Maybe...

I would never world build out side of my story wile I’m writing. Finishing the first draft would give me more freedom to explore the story universe.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I'm currently standing right at the edge of my midpoint. Took a bit more words that expected, but the second half of Act 2 promises to move faster.

deadrats likes this.
  6. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

In "Forever" (stupid name, it'll probably change), I'm about 5 pages in (hand written). In this one I'm struggling to keep things light and fluffy until all of the sadness occurs because this romance isn't going to end with them together.

But it'll be sweet! Really.

In "Fate", I'm nearly 5,000 words in. Pertaining to the original comment, he's an assassin/hitman married to a mafia/gang leader (male) and also in a relationship with his brother (it's entirely consensual and the gang leader is fine with it). Now, this book isn't a romance, but the relationships are sub plots and are a key to understanding why Fae does what he does.

Edit: I'm currently trying to figure out what scene to tackle next...or should I finally start putting stuff together in one document.

7. Spirit of seasons

I finished evergreen book 1 at 54k words. It’s just the first draft but I think it’s close to what I want minus a few glaring plot holes and a couple missing scenes.

I’m in the middle of chapter 1 of book 2. Writing Lyla in first person has been really interesting. Seeing old characters in new light. Part 2 answers a lot of the left over story threads. I have a cool idea for a villain, sorry it’s not a dragon this time.