Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Are video games threatening?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcuslam, Jul 15, 2012.

First, allow me to say that I love reading books, so this might not be a problem at all. Still, sometimes I find the interactive nature of video games to be dangerously immersive. I've never been addicted to a game before, but I see its potential to do so.

Let's use horror as an example. Stephen King's novels often get me hooked, but even though they usually contain horror elements, I never find myself chilled by those tales. I've also seen quite a few horror films, but none of them has ever really scared me. Now, I'm actually quite a scaredy cat, so this should be impossible. Video games on the other hand can really frighten me. The fact that you pick the decisions makes the experience so personal. When you feel in charge, that's when everything gets to you.

I actually have an interest in game development, but my main goal will always be novel writing. This is something I often think about. It would be great to hear some other opinions on this. Thanks :).

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

No. Not in any way. Games stimulate different parts of the brain to novels and some people react better to that than others. Because certain sections of people do not read any longer does not mean that video games are going to be the proverbial nails in the novel's coffin, and besides did film replace the novel? Did TV?

The gaming industry is now a massive, billion dollar industry - and bookshops are under a lot of heat. Book sales however are still pretty good, especially some light genre novels. We are living in a world in which 50 Shades sold quicker than Harry Potter (weep, O weep), and as much as I really don't like Harry Potter I have to admit, it can be at least read without feeling ill.

3. El Chacal

El Chacal New Member

Video games? Threateningly addictive? Nonsense.

Now, excuse me while I load my 300 hour Pokémon save file. GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.