1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Member

Where could I set a superhero story?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by DarkPen14, Feb 5, 2019.

My story takes place in the residential suburban area of a big city. I'm not sure if I should pull a DC and make up a city and say it's somewhere the real world or if I should use an actual city

2. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Member

The story does eventually move through the city's other districts, but for the most part it's around apartment complexes and the like

3. DPena

DPena New Member

My first reaction is a fictional city, but if you live in a large city that you know intimately, it would be far more realistic (and probably easier) to describe the details of your city from your own perspective rather than make something up.

I'm currently developing a fictional city for my own book and since I'm no engineer, describing it with any kind of realistic infrastructure has been quite the challenge.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  4. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Probably easier to make everything align with your story purposes if you make up a city.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  5. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter

Make up a city name, then use a real world setting with names like streets and neighborhoods changed. This is essentially what DC did with "Gotham City" (New York City) and "Metropolis" (Chicago, I always thought). Also, consider using a foreign city (Prague, Budapest, Paris, etc.), which might give your story a little mystique. Of course, it's so easy to happen across a reader who's been to one of those cities and cries B.S. on your description, naming it something else could help.

Harmonices and peachalulu like this.
  6. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Senior Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a superhero story take place in a small town setting.

Harmonices likes this.
  7. EBohio

EBohio Active Member

@DarkPen14: Is this for that story you are working on with Stormy Katzenberger in it? (That's the name stuck in my head since your last thread ):)

I see it in a wet, damp, forestry area like in or around Seattle.

8. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Member

Yes, same story as Wisp/Spectre/Stormy Katzenberger/ and Low-Budget-Batman/Suburban Knight