Where do you get your inspiration from?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by 8Bit Bob, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Where do you get your inspiration from?

2. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Learning. Reading. Music. Video games. Movies. Art. Dreams. History. Real life; people, events. My personal life. Angst. Synthesis. Curiosity and the question "what if?"

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

The Word (Bible), movies, pictures. Other writers work definitely inspires me - Barbapapa, Psyche by Phyllis Bret Young, My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews and dozens more have inspired some of my stories. My family on dad's side are big into art so it's kind of bred in the bone.

I'm more visual - so when something catches my eye I tend to stew over it and therein an idea brews. And that's where the daydreaming kicks in. I live near where I grew up and there is this road that dips into a valley with a stream and the ground there tends to flood. Not the road though. When I was a child the place had a mini-golf and a burger stand about 35 years ago, although its been torn down for decades you can still make out the decrepit old wishing well through the trees. And it's things like that hang onto you and somehow work there way into your story because there's a feeling attached to watching it decay that make for a perfect metaphor.