Tags:
  1. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Where Has The Music Gone??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Night Haunter, Jun 30, 2007.

Like pretty much everyone in the world, music plays a big part of my life and i am a gigantic fan of the orlder, "great" bands like U2, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Hendrix, The Police etc. and i also like bands from nowadays too but in comparision the older bands are better. I justy dont get why music has gone from a thing that changes the way people think to something that is really just some guy slashing at the strings of his guitar and another guy screaming incoherantly into a mic. It just really bugs me that so many good things have gone and have been replaced by worse things. I u guys have comments go ahead.

Another thing i dont get is why the first album of a band is almost always the best and the band slowly or quickly decends from there.

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Well, I agree that most mainstream music these days is pretty awful. I never listen to the radio.

If you look, though, you'll find that a lot of bands that match your tastes exist outside the mainstream.

Lyrical profundity is something that I find is in short supply in the mainstream today. So I always look for bands that have good lyrics. I don't just want a beat, I want a song that means something.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So that means you are a huge fan of American Idol? ;)

4. The Freshmaker

OH GOD NO, NOT AMERICAN IDOL! ::hides::

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

Music is subjective, as I'm sure your aware. Mainstream music at the moment is actually quite genre. There's always classic pop songs, but you've got some RnB, a bit of rap/hiphop, the whole acoustic brit pop thing(sarah blasko and co), arctic monkeys styled music, just plain pop rock etc etc. Easy to listen to, melodic, and simple. Appeals to the masses.

The bands you listed there(I approve of them greatly especially Pink Floyd and The Police) are just from a different era. The society was different, and therefore, so was the style of mainstream music. Nowdays, drugs, violence, sex, profanity etc etc are all jsut accepted as part of society, where as in the 60's and 70s these things were much less common.

Thats just the way I see it anyway.

I guess your reffering to music thats typically covered in the metal/hardcore/screamo genres there.
    Who's to say this music doesnt influence and affect people just as much as music from Hendrix did? Although most of these genres bar perhaps screamo are very much underground genres, they still bring as much joy to the listeners as Pink Floyd did to you in your youth.

I think whats in the mainstream is affected alot by society and culture. But thats just me. You might have a different opinion.

Can be alot of things. Not as much time to write music. Pressure to perform. Touring. Influences such as drugs and alcohol. Band tension. Money. It does happen a fair bit I admit, but it's not a universal room by any means.

6. sashas

sashas New Member

I agree that most mainstream bands have sold out (but isn't that what being mainstream is all about? selling out?)

but I guess you're unaware of the indie-alternative scene. These guys don't sell big or become as famous, but they're as good as any Classic rock bands.

Check out Guster (if you can catch a live show, you'll be amazed), Violent Femmes, etc.

7. The Freshmaker

Faith No More. Great band. Musically, very versatile. Lyrically, amazing. They most definitely have my seal of approval.

8. sashas

sashas New Member

Faith No More?

They were like an 80s band

I liked one of their songs "Everybody wants to rule the world"

9. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I think music is following what I believe television has/is doing: dispersing to more individual tastes due to the accessibility of the content and the ease of becoming a musician (whether you're good or not is entirely another question). Also, like Frost mentioned, it's a different era.

If you search hard enough you can find some amazing things you'll thought had never existed... maybe even some things that couldn't have been made until recently. Other people have your tastes and influences, and I'm sure they strive to gather those that have similar feelings.

Maybe this site can help you: Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music. If you want more of an artist, they're likely to have a MySpace... which is one of those things allowing better accessibility btw.

10. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Ahh...getting on a bit are we? ;) :D Every generation has theirs and the previous usually scorns the new blood for having "no taste", etc. All generations do this eventually. 'Tis a sign of GETTING OLD! :eek: LOL

Art.
    It literally crashes through boundaries to form new and/or different expressions. Music is only one form.
    Whereas first we had the blues, what that helped spawn was punk. What that then helped develop (from its dynamic of speed) was thrash metal, "goth" metal, death metal, Nu-metal, etc, etc.

I love both classical and most forms of heavy metal. I don't love all bands of HM...just a select few of those who I find inspiring from the talent of the music they create and the meanings behind their lyrics.

Of those who you call "shouty" bands, consider a band known as Slipknot. Some slate them as crap. Others, like myself, liked them from their first album and saw some resemblance of emerging talent in the nu-metal movement. When their second album came out I then loved them. When their third album came out I thought they were utterly awesome. It was wonderful to see them evolve in their musical expression.

I mean, c'mon, have you not heard Duality?!! Not only is it very commercial (which, by the way, is actually quite hard to accomplish if you try to set out and intentionally do such a thing), but the lyrics actually have a profound meaning. The lead singer practically talks the lyrics in the verses but shouts with awesome might and aggression during the chorus. The lyrics deal with the taboo subject of the breaking down of sanity as a cause of one's maddening schizophrenia and battle with two sides of their being.

For a band labelled "crap" that is one hell of a subject matter to be bringing attention to in their way. Mucho respecto!

(yewtoob video here: YouTube - Duality - Slipknot )

Hunger.
    All bands have it at first and are usually at the stage where they're not tainted by fame and riches.
    What exactly would anyone need to get out of bed for if they have a successful family with healthy children, outlasting fame and riches beyond their wildest dreams in the bank?
    Ask Metallica what motivates them to have lasted this long without necessarily having gone downhill (apart from their "therapy" album St. Anger which I personally thought was dreadful but do appreciate it for and how it was created) and you'll find they're all master musical craftsmen who are not only just out for riches. Their music is important to them as well.

Others feel accomplished enough that you either see them "retiring" early or they'll break up to venture into different projects that they probably couldn't do with their original outfit (such as the cited reason why Jason Newsted left as Metallica's bassman to form Echobrain and to join Ozzy).

11. bicker

bicker Active Member

Check out Biffy Clyro or The Cribs if you need proof that modern day rock is as great as its always been.

Also go to a festival walk into one of the smaller tents and your find some frikkin great new bands.

12. Nadala

Nadala Banned

well I don't like main stream music, when I was in school I got picked on for listening to stuff like REM the police U2 and Toto. So I decided I wanted to be way diffrent to everyone else and imerced myself in a world of tunes I liked from whereever I liked. I listen to loads of stuff from sweden, jrock, English rap metal from all over and anything no ones heard that's new. OZ has some awesome bands to. If you guys are after fresh talent why not check out triplej unearthed loads of new stuff from OZ and all over. :-D

Nadala~

13. The Freshmaker

That was Tears For Fears.

Faith No More reached the height of their popularity in the early '90s when they took on Mike Patton as their new lead singer for their third album. They broke up in 1998.

14. Frost

Frost Active Member

Faith No More were an awesome band. Favourite album was "King For A Day - Fool For A Lifetime". I think. Anywho.
    Unearthed is good for most music(especially hiphop) bar metal. If you want new metal bands, DONT go to Unearthed. The metal there is crapola.

15. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Bands have better first albums of course because typically they have years to get it right, perfecting it with their bands maes and then have to get a second one out in one or two years when they've used everything they have on the first. Sadly they rarely recover.

16. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

why is it all the rock gods and amazing music arose during a time of prolific drug use? 1970's people, we need another era like this one.

17. coral reef

coral reef Banned

i wish i had been around for woodstock...if i could go back in time, id be there

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

When did the drug use diminish?

But the creativity of the music industry does seem to ebb and wane. After the great Woodstock era, we downslid into the disco desert. After that, there was a lot of beautiful, innovative music in the early MTV days, except that "the look" became far more important than before.

Since then, there has been a lot of angry music, violence and profanity - not the stuff of rock gods. And the American Idol fascination of music for the greatest mass appeal - don't even get me started!

We're about due for a new creativity to crest.

19. Frost

Frost Active Member

Avant Garde/Progressive metal.
    That stuff is creativity at its finest.
    Also, theres still alot of really good Jazz fusion around, for example look into Mahavishnu Orchestra. Great musicians, original tunes.