1. Lost for Words

Lost for Words New Member

Just a question

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Lost for Words, May 31, 2010.

Hi guys,

None of you would know me, unfortunately. I signed up ages ago but life got in the way of my actually being on here. So, I don't know if this sort of thing is allowed on here, or whether this is the right forum to be discussing it on, but I have a question.

Right now I'm studying for a Diploma of Publishing (book editing, proofreading and publishing). It wont be long until I'm ready to start taking on paid jobs, but because it pretty hard to get in with the publishing houses I've decided to go freelance. My main interest is to work with authors who are interested in getting published to help them increase their chances with agencies. I was just wondering if you guys thought that that would be viable plan? Do you think authors are interested in this kind of thing? And if so, do you have any tips on how I would find these authors?

Thanks,
    LFW

2. izanobu

izanobu New Member

First, you might look into signing up on publisher's marketplace and checking the job boards there, they often have listings for publishing/editing jobs. Second, check with your college program, many have job placement/career offices etc.

To freelance, you could put posts up on craigslist or other internet job boards with your references and rates. Also having a simple, comprehensible website with resume and rates up on it would be good (in fact, probably necessary these days). Also, you could offer pro-bono work to some people in order to get references if you know people through your publishing program (does the college have an MFA program?). Also see what your professors recommend, I assume they have experience in the industry and could give you tips on how to get your business going.

Hope that helps.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...that's an odd title for a degree... is it from a by-mail or online technical school, or acquired from an actual college/university?...imo, it will make a difference in getting paying jobs...

...there are already countless folks out there on the internet touting their services in that area, so you're going to have to work hard and spend a good amount of money on getting yourself noticed, to bag clients... i suggest you google for 'writing/editing services' to see what you're facing...

love and encouraging hugs, maia

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Lots of credible colleges and universities have such programs. I met an editor who said that, depending on the position with the publisher, a lot of the ones in Toronto prefer that they have some kind of education specific to publishing.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course they do... i was merely wondering about the 'diploma of publishing' title...is it something british/canadian?...