1. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

Where should I post art for my book?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Flying Geese, Mar 13, 2016.

I am publishing my book this week and I want to do some artwork while people read it. I already have a site built for it as well, but I wanted to post my artwork in a place that is high traffic so that even people who are not my readers could find it just by using the search. Where should I post it?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Deviant art, Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook?

3. Flying Geese

I guess all these work just as well?

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Honestly have no idea because I only use Facebook. But as you know those platforms I named are huge - Deviant art and Pinterest especially are tailored for graphics.

5. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I agree with @Mckk that Deviant art is a high traffic area, especially if your work is Fantasy/Sci -Fi stuff. As someone who doesn't post quality artwork online, I have used material from that website for work after some googling. This includes getting permission to use some cool images for an internal marketing campaign. I've never been annoyed by that site.

I'm not overly fond of pinterest or Facebook. Pinterest makes me think knitting and craft projects even though I know they offer more. Both sites force users to have an accounts to view some content which will turn away some, like myself! But that's because I'm a gmail user. So even as a reluctant social media person, I would naturally use google+ for what you described, especially if I was going to be posting content to go along with the images. I've found I like it as a platform overall because of its communities and it's more user friendly to me. I'm an IT person and I find Facebook not so intuitive. I've stood behind Facebook people at work and they don't even seem to know what they're doing!

Your question made me do some more digging to the question of how Google+ is comparing with Facebook these days. And I have to agree with the first article below that the question should be if "Google can beat Facebook" in the long run. It makes sense to me that Google should eventually win because of its integration with the search engine, email, youtube and the different projects they have invested in.

Here is a couple of articles I thought might interest.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/234825/sss.html
    http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/the-future-of-google-what-new-research-reveals/

Anyway, authors seem determined to stick with Facebook and I assume it's because they have invested in their marketing and following there. I wish they would at least actively use Google+ as well and not just have placeholder accounts!

Good luck with your book. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
    Flying Geese likes this.
  6. Flying Geese

Thank you guys, I decided that I will post my better things to Deviant Art and share them to facebook after