1. Arhow

Arhow New Member

Where to get feedback

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Arhow, Oct 18, 2014.

I'm wondering who's the best person to ask for a little feedback.

I'm 20 and I had an idea long ago, so I decided to just start writing it.The thing is, I don't know who to ask for feedback since my sister loves everything I do and my brother hates it because of the 'cliche' lovestory in the book. (which is not even the important part of it.)

So Who would be a good person to ask? An outsider, a friend, a teacher?

2. Tara

Tara Senior Member

I would say anyone who is able of giving you an unbiased opinion. This could be a friend, or a teacher who for example teaches the language you are writing in, but you can also ask an outsider.

The thing you should mostly keep in mind if you decide who you will ask for feedback is that any of the people I mentioned will give a different kind of feedback. If you ask someone who teacher a language to come up with feedback you would probably get feedback on your choice of words, structure and style, whereas a friend would be more likely to read the story as any other reader would; they would look at the storyline, the plot, how well it's written and the characters, although my experience is that friends are usually less critical than outsiders.

A long story short: decide what kind of feedback you want and choose the person who will read your story according to that. Or ask a teacher, a friend and an outsider to read your story so you've got feedback from multiple people who all looked at your story in a different way.

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Arhow

Arhow New Member

Thank you.