1. CreativeTink

CreativeTink New Member

Where to Post

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CreativeTink, Jun 23, 2022.

Hey all-

Delete if not allowed or move to another thread

Does anyone know which thread that I could post and upload parts o the story as I write them? Or do I have to finish the whole story to post it here?

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @CreativeTink - we're not a story site; members post their work for critique from other members to help improve their skills and hone their craft, or to "sandbox" ideas and techniques, and the place to do that is in the workshop.

There are rules about posting in the workshop - principally we like to see members pay it forward and offer critique of other members' work before posting their own - the reason for this is twofold, firstly to stop new members just grabbing a bit of free feedback and then vanishing into the ether (we are an active and friendly community (well, usually friendly...) and like to see our members get involved) , but mainly because you will learn a lot more about your own work by critiquing the work of others than putting your own up for crit!

3. CreativeTink

CreativeTink New Member

OK :)

About how many critique posts would I need to make before I'm able to post?
    And what would happen at that point? Would I be notified or given access to a different part of the site?

Also back to my original question- can I post my story in sections as I write?

Sorry for so many questions...just trying to figure out how it all works. Thanks!!

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Morning - the workshop rule is, basically, two fully-fleshed critiques per post of yours. You can post piecemeal, but each post would be interpreted as a new post for critique requiring its own thread and receiving its own comments from other members. If you keep adding chapters to a thread, one of the moderators will move it to its own thread (possibly creating a rule transgression and more work for the moderator, for which no-one is ever thanked...)

As I said, this is a writer's forum where writers interact to hone their craft (or just "goof off" with like-minded people around the globe), it isn't a place to post a story for the enjoyment (or otherwise...) of other members, there are sites better suited to that if that's what you want, and if you want to hone your craft you will find that giving critique is far more educational than receiving, especially at the start of your journey.

It will pay great dividends to have a rummage around the FAQs page here - has links to the site rules, how the workshop works, generally how the place is run (and how we deal with transgression)