Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Magic Help!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GuardianWynn, Nov 7, 2015.

Okay. I have this concept I am working on. I am mainly just curious if you there is something that feels like it doesn't belong here. Like "something here is not like the others!" lol or the reverse such as if something you think should be here is missing. Or any general opinion. Thank you. :)

Okay. The premise is souls! The idea in its core that the eyes of someone will flicker in response to certain things and what you think of this. The flicker is meant to be like there soul showing itself.

So, the thing is, the eyes of some people never or rarely flicker. So here is my list of stuff.

- High emotions. Joy, fear, ext.
    - Stress
    - High levels of physical strain.

This part seems to explain the rare flickers in the sense that some people just don't get as stressed as some people. lol.

Though, some people seem to learn to control it and can force the flicker on at will. Implying that it can be learned to turn on at will. Most people that learn to turn on at will actually have a power that can't be used without the flicker. The implication is that the flicker is almost like a sharpening of ones soul and or magical flight or fight response. Sorry guess this didn't fit into bullet points as easily. Exhaustion can stop the flicker as the soul just isn't sharp enough to flicker. I suppose it is also possible that the soul of someone is so weak that it can't flicker.

Also some people have two souls. If both flicker at the same time the eye will flicker in two half circles of each color.

So what do you guys think?

Tagging cool people!
    @Lea`Brooks
    @jaebird
    @Lady Marmalade

2. Kalleth Bright-Talon

Kalleth Bright-Talon Member

Very cool concept. My thought would be this though; The symptoms you describe as corresponding to the eye flickers; stress, high emotions, and physical strain? Those are things that have other very obvious indicators to how they occur. Muscles bulging, vocalization, or even just body language. In fact humans have evolved body language as a kind of silent communicator which if you're paying attention to lets you know exactly how somebody's feeling. I think you could expand on this a few ways. For instance, it would make things very interesting if the people who work hardest to mask their true emotions, levels of stress, or physical strain are those whose eyes flicker. It would justify the reason for why they need to learn to control it. There's numerous situations which would make this a very interesting concept indeed! Like if you were a spy, or a con man, or a salesman!!

One other thing, and that's that in my other suggestion I mentioned linking another action or tic to this eye flicker. If you were going to have this reflect the soul manifesting itself then it would seem the logical next step for you to have whatever their "soul power" is to reflect whomever they are at their core. If an individual is strong, their muscles could spasm and their eyes could flicker. If somebody is especially eloquent, a flash of their eyes could be accompanied by a shout, cry, or ululation, hell even just a witty joke. For me, this system of magic needs more. You should make it bigger somehow, even if you're going for subtlety. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope they helped!

-KBT

GuardianWynn likes this.
  3. GuardianWynn

The question was more like.

Does it seem weird that one character has it happen from emotional stress. While another character activates it at will? Or does it sound stupid that one character being pushed to her limit triggers it while another character that seems to be both stressed and trying hard doesn't trigger it?

I thought it might work in the context of everyone sort of has different thresholds of what is considered stressful. I also thought I might just be sounding inconsistant and stupid. lol.

Also, this isn't a magical system. lol. Not even close. This is just one facet to how magic is seen in a system. I have a giant system! To which I am practicing trying to write briefly, while keeping the depth. If magical systems interest you I would be happy to show you my little summary of it? It is about 1,500 words. If you would like to see that is. :D

I always welcome any feedback. :D

The issue is this eye flicker is sort of a new concept. So lets take two characters.
    One is emotional repressed in the sense that her parents don't approve of her interests. She has a second soul to which she is unaware can happen. As such she mistakes it as a symptom of her being crazy or possessed. She literally can hear another voice in her head. lol. So she doesn't show anyone this and keeps her self at arms legnth yet constantly wishes she didnt have too. Her eyes flicker A LOT. lol. Which sounded like a reasonable assertion based on what I and you said.

But take another girl. Equally repressed but accepts it. The kind of person that feels society would not accept her and she is fine with that. She wears a mask for the public, but she isnt immune to feelings. She quite often finds herself sickened by the world around her and has plenty of stress, if in different ways. This person seems like her eyes might flicker a lot too based on what we said. Yet I don't see them ever flickering. I am not sure if I am over thinking this. Under thinking this or if maybe I am just being stubborn and refusing to realize her eyes should be flickering or if there is a facet to her that explains why they are not.

What do you think?

4. Kalleth Bright-Talon

Okay, based on everything I've heard, including in the other thread you posted... I guess I'd say that these eye flickers are like the ripples in water when a stone falls in. They show indications of something deeper and are caused by that thing, but they aren't necessarily the thing itself? Is that totally wrong? Well assuming it's right, then the individual who is stressed and rejecting their soul(s) is kind of trying to keep the stone from falling through the water, trying to keep it from sinking. Which causes a considerable amount of ripples. Whereas the person who accepts their soul(s) is actually welcoming the stone into the water, maybe even yielding to it more than water normally would, like when a diver hits the pool with almost no splash. So, no ripples? That's what I've come up with, sorry if it's nonsense. XD

Again presuming I'm correct, the extra tics as a solution to your POV problem could be taken in another manner, as something your character is either trying to repress, or accept. "She felt nauseous, and even though she kept gagging nothing came up. Her head ached vividly, and her ears popped several times." Now maybe this example's a tad extreme, but even if she only felt a little bit of her gag reflex kick in, or yawned a bunch, those could be indicators. Maybe. And then the super chill girl would get really hungry, or love sleeping, or just be gluttonous in some way? Some sort of indication that she is very open and accepting. As though she was taking things in, not expelling them.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  5. GuardianWynn

In a sense. You can't be wrong. Because the idea is in development. I don't even fully know it yet. lol.

Your anology isn't bad. But about about the people that control it?

This girl I don't mind name dropping. Lisa. She is a teleporter. She can't warp(as she calls it) unless her eyes are flickering. Meaning at a young age, she probably warped once by mistake when she was upset and began to try and recreate it. When she did, she discovered the eye flicker and practiced it to the point that she can turn it on and off at will. She usually keeps it on. To the point most people that see her think her natural eye color is orange. Which... it isn't. lol.

But going with concept. If I were to describe it, not what it does but what it is. (Which is probably a good idea. Thanks :D) I would probably explain it like this.

Souls are compressed energy. Think of the universe being coated with energy. Living people and animals and such have a soul which is like a wireframe work that intakes and extakes the energy aroudn them. Each frame though is notable different, even between siblings. This frame work has a color. Normally this energy is invisible but when agitated it compresses even further and becomes visible.

If that makes sense?

6. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

So, if someone was to learn how to control this "flickering" and thereby gain a magical ability based on it, how is it determined what ability they get? Is it only the people who have the potential to learn to control it have a certain ability "programmed" into them, based off of genetics or environmental exposures or whatever? Or, can anyone potentially learn to control it, and everyone has that ability lurking inside of them?

GuardianWynn likes this.
  7. GuardianWynn

Well, everyone has the ability to learn to control the flicker. Just the flicker isn't that notable in some cases.

Red for example is really just characterized by power. Meaning a red flicker will increase there full abilities, which is something that is true of all flickers just more so with red. So if extra power equates to something new is dependant on the person.

Blue for example would probably find themselves having a large range during the flicker. While a normal range of a person magically is about 50 feet. A blue flickering person can likely go even further. Blue sometimes already having an increase in range but that increase being even more so during the flicker.

While Yellow as example, could be future sight or teleporting. Powers not possible unless the flicker is active.

Does that answer what you mean? Everyone soul to is for the most part born with an assigned color, just as we are born with an asssigned gender.

8. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

But are there only a set number of abilities that are available for a person to have? Like, one for each color, and that's it? Or, could you have variations in the intensities of the colors? Like a light blue and a dark blue, and they each have their own ability, or a different degree of the same one.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  9. GuardianWynn

Well I think of a soul having all six core aspects. Just at different levels. The color comes from the most power ability inside you. So having one color as your soul color doesn't mean it is the only thing you can do. And yeah hues could come in all kinds. Though, I have no reason why one would have light blue over dark blue. I would suspect it is dependent on how much of the other powers you have. If that makes sense?

10. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Hues could let other people know that this person has more than one powerful ability they can use. Because of that, even though their most powerful ability may be blue, one or more of the others are actually not that far away from their most powerful one, and they sort of "wash out" the blue, making it a lighter color.

Or, you could just say that the mix of different abilities itself can change the hue. I mean, think about normal eye color. The combination of a person's specific genetics can mean their blue eyes lean more towards gray, or more pale, etc. and it varies from person to person.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  11. GuardianWynn

An eye idea. Some peoples eye can flicker two colors at the same time. So I was been playing with ideas on how to show that. This is my solution.

Anyone like the premise?

@jaebird These colors would be Kerrin's glow colors. Trivia! Of course this is just the color of her iris while glowing.

12. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

Referencing scientist characters who perform experiments to test this magical property as part of the plot will make this idea a lot more believable. Magic is just science that has not been understood yet. Depending on the tone of the story, these experiments could range from innocuous tests to scientific atrocities.

If you present an idea that conflicts with what we know about our own reality, readers will often overthink things and destroy their suspension of disbelief. The idea of characters researching this concept within the universe's canon prevents the reader from asking too many questions.

13. misteralcala

misteralcala Member

If high-stress, emotions etc. can cause flickering, then couldn't there be physical stimuli too? You could outlaw the use of mind-altering substances, alcohol or drugs because they lower one's self control or alter their body chemistry to create "flickering". You could have criminal elements that use drugs, alcohol etc. to force flickers, but of course, their magic would be dangerous and highly unstable and the punishment for possessing or using those substances would most likely be extreme.

There could also be a colorful industry of con artists, gurus and misguided "flickerists" who peddle unorthodox, dangerous or insane methods of increasing or altering one's flicker. They could have their own "schools" or "cults" just to add some flavor. I like your idea.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  14. GuardianWynn

That could be true. But I think it sort of misunderstands the origins of the idea, which might be my fault for not explaining properly.

It kind of like "in the zone" in a sense. It is not a true increase of power, but an increase in achieved potential. The idea being that the reason high stress causes it, is because high stress can put you in that highly reactive moment that one might call "Being in the zone." Which is why with practice one can enter that state willfully.

Does that make more sense?

15. Kalleth Bright-Talon

Hey again,

If flickering results in "an increase in achieved potential", then the way I interpret that is that when somebody's eye(s) flicker, it means that they are pressing up against the limits of their body/mind/spirit. Now, this is just an idea, like most of the other posts, of something to add to these concepts; if flickering is a growth in achieved potential, and a sort of harnessing of one's limits, then why not have "flaring", where the individual's eyes change hues either permanently or much more noticeably. Flaring would be a sort of limit break, and would play on the potential risk vs. reward or unlocking of boundaries vibe this system gives me. Now, maybe Flaring is extremely costly to the body/mind/spirit, or it's just really hard to do, but it's an idea of a way to step up this system. Add another tier, and you add another layer of detail to your world which you can flesh out. Which people can flare, why, how, and all these other questions would need to be answered. Maybe I play too many video games, but these sorts of powers tend to be a lot more fun to read and write if characters can go all out on each other.

Anyway, hope this helped.

-Kalleth

GuardianWynn likes this.
  16. GuardianWynn

I actually have something like that! Though it was a different concept. I don't mind both concepts being discussed. The basic premise is, that when someone is pushed to there emotional limits. They undergo like a metaphosis.

Imagine like the body magically going in instict mode, taking over and rewriting your DNA with the goal of giving everything a +1.

I do mean everything. I have only written this happening to one person. She had an arrow in her and her son was dying in front of her(being what triggerd it.)

The arrow blasted out of her, then her body changed. After the change, her wounds were healed, everything was better. As in, she could hold her breath longer, see sharper images, the tensile strength of her skin was improved, and her iris was several shades lighter. As in her eyes were dark blue, and then they were baby blue. A few weeks later she noticed her hair became blonde. As in her hair which was naturally brown, started growing out blonde.

She was also several times stronger and faster. It was also deeply hinted at, that if she wasn't careful, she could lose her mind in this moment. As if the changes to her body opened her mind up to a more willing state to change her core beliefs. Which did actually happen.

Someone suggested that changes should be more extravagant. To which I reply, technically they could. This is what happened to her. The concept of metaphosis is actually kind of open. Right? lol.

Is this what you were thinking? Thanks for the imput.

17. Kalleth Bright-Talon

Pretty much, sounds awesome!

GuardianWynn likes this.
  18. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Familiar with the concept, but not as a permanent effect.

The body has many limiters that I know can be temporarily released in certain situations, these allow the body to damage or restore itself at great expense and possible crippling. This is the power that allows someone to far exceed their normal physical limits and do acts that should not be possible normally. It is perfectly logical that any latent abilities would be activated in this state to protect the body as a form of unconscious self-preservation.

A fun twist to explore.