1. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

page numbers

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by afinemess, Jul 19, 2009.

My brain has shut down from writing too much this morning. How in the world can I insert page numbers on something that is aout 100 pages long? I have tried every way I know how and every time I insert, it deletes all my work, or puts the number on its own individual page. I normally know how to do this, and should have started out with numbers, by we all make mistakes. I am having a brain melt down I guess today. I'm using microsoft works word processor.
    Thanks!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Insert > Page Numbers

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I go to insert page numbers but it doesn't work. That is the problem. It puts it on one page. If I select all then do it it deletes all the text. Ugh it's driving me nuts.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Isn't there a page number thing in the header and footer settings? I remember that in MS Word, you just go to View > Header and Footer and then select page numbers.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

right... you have to create a header or footer for the page numbers...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It only makes sense to put a page number field in a header or footer. What you are doing when you insert a page number is insert a placemarker at that point in the document. Everytime Word encounters that placeholder, it inserts the currenty page number.

Headers and footers are copied to the top or bottom of every page, so every time a page number placeholder occurs in a header or footer, it appears at the top or bottom ove every page, and therefore gets filled in in each page.

If you insert a page number in the main body of a page, it will only show up at that place on that page.

7. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

THANK YOU! I got it working, with the header. I am printing it all off tomorrow, and I had this fear there would be some random stray wind that came and blew it all off my desk like in a movie. haha Thanks alot, somedays the old noggin just doesnt cooperate.