1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Swann's Way

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Steerpike, Dec 14, 2015.

I've been reading this for a while now, and I find it at the same time fascinating from an artistic perspective and a bit of a slog in terms of the sequence of events (to the extent there is one so far). The issue, in part, may be that it's the book I have at the office, which means I read it in ten or fifteen minute snippets of time when I'm taking a break or grabbing a bite to eat. The prose intrigues me, but so far I'm not compelled by it.

Anyone read this? What were your thoughts on it? I suspect I should devote a couple hours in a sitting to it at the very least.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I started reading it many years ago but never finished it. It got boring after a while. However, the prose is amazing. There's no doubt Proust was an incredibly talented writer. I've even read a few dozen pages in the original French. Unfortunately, this alone wasn't enough to hold my interest. Maybe I'll try again one day.

Also, I don't think I'd ever get to reading the five or six other volumes of the book. So I have little motivation to read the Swann's Way, the first volume.

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Thanks @thirdwind. It may be one where I'll have to be content with admiring the prose, knowing I'll never really be drawn into the story, such as it is, in a compelling way.