which famous Person would chose

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Sting316

Sting316 New Member

Oscar Wilde without a doubt.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is it okay if say an evil person like Joseph Stalin?

I don't agree with any of his policies or ideas, but I still find him interesting and want to know what he was thinking.

3. Link the Writer

<expletive>doublepost<expletive>

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I wouldn't be able to understand much of his Georgian/Russian myself.

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

He should not be difficult to get into his head.
    His work is his head so to speak.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not aware of poisonings and Rasputin in Catherine the Great's life!!
    Thanks for bringing it up..I'll go and research it.:D

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am guessing it is fine the only think is, you may not like what you find, so are you prepared to take the risks is something you have to ask yourself.:D

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

how do you mean?
    Are you talking about the language you mean?

9. Lemex

Rasputin lived during the time of Tzar Nickolas II, just before and during WW1. Catherine the Great was well before this. Some historians comment that Rasputin was a major factor in public opinion turning against the Tzar before the October Revolution. The Bolshevik revolution was really more of a counter revolution, since the October revolution created the Duma.

Yeah. I'm talking about the Language. Stalin apparently had an accent that many Russians found a little odd to begin with, and while I know a little Russian and can make basic conversation, I've only ever heard a St. Petersburg accent.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

micro expressions is vast but what about wrinkles do they count?
    I find this topic fascinating myself.
    This reminds of hand readings where you could get your PalmLines read.
    Just wondering how he actually did it?
    Because for one to study these microexpressions one someone's face one has to fake/act these feelings so in away it is notnatural if one is told to be angry/happy.

11. Link the Writer

You mean am I prepared to see the Stalin within myself, or prepared to learn all the horrible things Stalin did?

I'm ready for both. 8)

To be honest, I prefer to study Stalin's Russia because I'm sick to death of the so-called 'history channel' banging into my head the topic of Hitler and the Nazis.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have read about Rasputin andhis influence/abiltiy to read the future.
    I don't really know much about Duma and what it actually means..something about lower parliament, I know nothing about the russian revoltution.
    I can't find anything about the poisonings and Catherine.

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

this.

LOL....oh dear..how I understand you..my partner bangs on every night to me about nazi/paharoahs/more nazis on the documentary channels.
    because I used to watch them but I now sick to death like you about the samy boring programmes.
    I am glad someone agrees with me:p

14. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Ooh, that's a tough one. Maybe Aphex Twin? I adore his music, and I hear the man is insane. Same goes for Daniel Johnston, although I'm not totally sure how "famous" he's considered.

Also, Theodore Roosevelt, because there'd be a lot to write about. But I dunno if I could handle that much badassery with my current writing skills.

15. Cacian

Cacian Banned

a little odd as in he did not speak it very well or that he was not russian russian?
    what is an odd accent?

can you describe St Pettersburg accent say in terms to other russian accent?
    Is it posher?clearer?

16. Lemex

You might want to check out the book One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It's about the forced Labor camps under Stalin's rule. It's also a really great read, one of my favorite books.

Russian history is something that I have a particular and passionate interest in. Yeah the Duma was Russia's first attempt at a parliament, or a form of Republic. You can't find anything about Catherine the Great and poisonings because it didn't happen. Catherine the great lived during the 1700s. Rasputin lived in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Like Hitler, who was Austrian. Many Germans found Hitler's accent a little distracting, even though Austrians speak German as a national language to actual Germans it sounds sort of bumpkinish and rural. The same was the case for Stalin, who spoke from a Georgian accent, because he was Georgian, which was part of the Russian Empire/USSR when he was alive.

I honestly can't say. I've never been to Russia, though I would love to one day, so Russian accents are not something I'm very knowledgeable about.

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Lemex this is great thank you so much for all this information.
    I never about the accent bit but I think I know what you mean.
    Sorry I do not mean to be annoying..may I ask what was the story behind the poisenings?
    Did Catherine try and poison someone?

18. Lemex

Catherine the Great didn't. Not to the best of my knowledge anyway.

The story of poisonings and Rasputin relates how he died. He was attacked by Russian noblemen angry at him because he was beginning to dominate the mind of the Tzarina, who had employed him to look after her ill son. So Rasputin was invited to dinner, and given a cake with enough poison to kill five men but that didn't kill him. Angry that this didn't kill him he was then shot, beaten, and clubbed by his hosts but he still survived; and so he was thrown into a river in the middle of the Russian winter. He drowned.

But it seems he lasted a pretty long time underwater, as he was apparently found halfway to braking the bonds tied around his hands to stop him from getting out.

There is a great book about him called Rasputin: A Life by Joseph T Fuhrmann. And it goes into so much more depth than I can be bothered to here.

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hey Lemex thank you again you are a star.
    Why do you like what was then Russia so much?

20. Lemex

I like Russia as it is today too. Russian people are amazingly friendly, and their history is fascinating.

Also, I have to admit. I learned to speak Russian because I was in love with a Russian girl who I met on holiday. We kept in contact for just over a year after that, and despite living in different time zones we would stay up until very early mornings (even on school days) chatting on MSN, and we would talk on the phone when we could. I still occasionally talk to her now, occasionally, it's gone from a few times every day to once every few months.

21. Cacian

Cacian Banned

aww...that must have been really hard for you.
    Long distance relationship, and I know because I went through one myself, is heartbreaking and hard work.
    Are you kind of over her now...sorry I understand this is private.
    Oh I use to have russian neighbours and yes I agree they are very friendly people.
    I remember a russian neighbour once came over to visit before they left back to russia and offered us gifts (russian dolls) and Iwas given a book to learn russian.
    All I remember was SPACIBA and the rest I simply could not do because I did not understand the writing/alphabet.
    I did try though ..hehe.

22. Lemex

Spasiba, or spasibo. It means 'Thank you'. I'll not render it in Cyrillic as I'm terrible at it.

I don't mind talking about it. The distance was something we both got tired of in the end. But yeah I'm over it. I've been with my current girlfriend for four years now after all.

Anyway. Sorry for this little tangent everyone!

23. Cacian

Cacian Banned

don't tell me you know Cyrillic too.
    I did not even know it was called that until you mentioned it.
    Azbuka is another name for it.
    I have to say it looks way too confusing.
    Did you try and learn it too?

24. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

No! Sorry Cacian, I should know this but I mixed it all up (it's been many years since I learned Russian). Catherine the Great lived much before Rasputin, it was Tsaritsa Alexandra he allegedly had an affair with and in general, he had a great influence over the Tsar as well. All this was happening in the build up to the Revolution.
    There have been several attempts on his life, and history is unsure of the details but one of the stories is that he was lured into a cellar where he was given poisoned wine to drink (cyanide). But this didn't kill him. It took several more attempts, one after another, to finish him off. This is what wikipedia says:

"Three days later, Rasputin's body, poisoned, shot four times, badly beaten, and drowned, was recovered from the river. An autopsy established that the cause of death was drowning. It was found that he had indeed been poisoned, and that the poison alone should have been enough to kill him. There is a report that after his body was recovered, water was found in the lungs, supporting the idea that he was still alive before submersion into the partially frozen river."

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

does wikipedia say what happen to those who attempted to poison him?
    I don't even knwo what cynide is...how easy is it to get?
    It sounds scary..what a s tory.